Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else watching the days go by? I'm 4 weeks post opt and I feel like I'm watch paint dry! I try not obsess about my progress but I can't help it. It's like I wanna wake up in six months and be like I made it! I'm scared my weight loss will stop if I don't obsess over it. How do you all cope???

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

If you're expecting changes overnight (it appears this way given your post), you made a terrible decision.

It's best to be on board with the long game.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

1 hour ago, PatientEleventyBillion said:

If you're expecting changes overnight (it appears this way given your post), you made a terrible decision.

It's best to be on board with the long game.

What a rude response. You're only 4 weeks post-op yourself but purport to be an expert. Sad.

Edited by MarinaGirl

I think at first we all like to keep getting on the scale. I know I did! But it's not good to weigh everyday! Weight fluctuates so much it's better to just keep it to a schedule! (Like tmi but you weigh one thing then you take a big poop and boom you're a pound less! You didn't really loose a pound but the scale says you did) I would pick something like weigh every two weeks and continue to give it your all with diet and exercise! The weight will come off your clothes will start to fit looser it just takes time. I mean we didnt gain it all in one day we cant loose it all in one day.(But man would that be nice?)

SW: 328
CW: 256
GW: 150
Surgery date: January 12, 2017

2 minutes ago, NixNichi said:

I think at first we all like to keep getting on the scale. I know I did! But it's not good to weigh everyday! Weight fluctuates so much it's better to just keep it to a schedule! (Like tmi but you weigh one thing then you take a big poop and boom you're a pound less! You didn't really loose a pound but the scale says you did) I would pick something like weigh every two weeks and continue to give it your all with diet and exercise! The weight will come off your clothes will start to fit looser it just takes time. I mean we didnt gain it all in one day we cant loose it all in one day.(But man would that be nice?)

SW: 328
CW: 256
GW: 150
Surgery date: January 12, 2017

I concur. I weigh myself twice a day. My weight changes like 0-3 pounds throughout the day. I think being inundated with information can cause us to be overly critical of it and expect faster results.

I weigh every day and an on occasion it goes up .2 or so... It almost always goes down a bit. The days it stays the same or goes up slightly doesn't really bother me. Weighing myself daily works for me although I understand it might not for others. We all lose at different rats but this keeps me focused. We should all do what works for us.... if a slight increase bothers you don't weigh daily.

Anyone else watching the days go by? I'm 4 weeks post opt and I feel like I'm watch paint dry! I try not obsess about my progress but I can't help it. It's like I wanna wake up in six months and be like I made it! I'm scared my weight loss will stop if I don't obsess over it. How do you all cope???

I get it. I was sleeved may 5. Some days I weigh more than once. My weight has always fluctuated greatly throughout the day even before surgery. I think it will be best for me to try to put some time between weigh ins.

Sometimes I don't lose anything for several days and then bam..... I'm down two or more pounds.

I feel you with the obsession I'm going through the same thing. I've got to try to STOP weighing everyday. I know how it goes. I lost 25lbs in 2 weeks and now at week 3 "0" I'm terrified that this stall will keep going how do I quit the madness!?!?

Im still preop but weighing every day works for me because it keeps me accountable! Ive never lost or maintained without consistent weighing, my weight only goes up when I don't weigh.

12 hours ago, crawford8903 said:

It's like I wanna wake up in six months and be like I made it! I'm scared my weight loss will stop if I don't obsess over it.

Here's the reality...the weight loss phase really shouldn't be the focus of your obsession. The weight will come off during the honeymoon phase regardless of what you do.

Too many bariatric surgery patients are hyper-focused on weight loss while neglecting to come up with any type of plan to maintain the weight loss. The majority of us were able to lose weight just fine before surgery; however, keeping it off was the uphill battle that we often lost.

For most people the weight loss phase lasts anywhere from 6 months to 2 years, but the weight maintenance phase is lifelong. Nonetheless, 80 percent of weight loss surgery patients regain some or all of their lost weight.

Just follow the rules provided by your bariatric surgery team for now. Once you approach your goal weight, your new obsession in life needs to revolve around the work of maintaining your new, lower body weight. After all, this is for life.

Good luck to you. :)

Maybe 80% regain 15 or 20lbs, but the statistic I saw said that 85% keep off at least 50% of the excess weight. What that would look like for me:

Starting weight 305

Excess weight: 150

50% of excess weight: 75

305-75=230lbs

I have an 85% chance of staying below 230lbs long term.

I'll take those odds, thanks!

But it isn't magic, and it does require getting our heads and diets in the right place. That 15% who regain most or all of their weight do not have their problems under control.

We need to use our 6-18 month "honeymoon" period to make sure we fix our issues for long term success.

To the OP.. use this time to do your research, learn new recipes, shopping habits, make a plan for future exercise, etc. There is lots of work to do over the next year to make sure you are in a good, successful place.

Congrats, and good luck!

Thank you all for your responses, I weigh myself every 2 days to see if I lost or if I'm in a stall. One reason I'm obsessed. I guess I'm afraid the weight loss will stop for me sooner than others. I'm afraid of gaining. I follow everything to the letter and try to do some physical activity everyday. I've been so focused on getting down to have my life back and I'm scared it's going to stop before I feel whole again. I know it's not going to happen overnight. I'm just afraid it's gonna stop before I reach my goal, and I'll be back at square one. That why I'm obsessed not with the scale but everything diet, exercise, measurements and studying how to break stalls. I'm one of those people who feel it's not gonna work for me! I know it's crazy but it's my mind telling me I'm going to fail. I'm glad I have this platform to express myself without being judged for my feelings.