Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Setting myself up for failure?

So am I just setting myself up for failure? I'm meeting my surgeon's Protein and Fluid intake goals, but I'm not paying much heed to focusing on low calorie/fat items due to restriction (ex. the other day I poached chicken thighs instead of breasts). I'm also able to tolerate about 1.5 ounces of ribeye steak without any undue difficulty or discomfort now. Will choosing such fatty cuts come back to bite me in the future? How often do you guys let yourselves indulge while, for the most part, staying on track? Last week I let myself have 1 square of dark chocolate. Is this within the realm of acceptable? I'm currently eating 450-650 calories a day with 3 meals and a Protein Shake.< br />
I'm also wondering about the list of acceptable foods I was given. Though mashed potatoes and sugar free pudding taste good, I don't see why I should be eating them. Aren't they more or less empty calories? I didn't partake in them much during my pureed stage, but should I just get rid of these foods now that I can tolerate solids?

Also, has anyone found that they have a difficult time with soft cheeses? I bought some light laughing cow wedges and they seem to sit in my tummy for quite a lot longer than any other foods I eat. I'm usually only able to get through half a wedge before deciding I just don't want any more.

This is a great question. We all have different reasons for getting as heavy as we did. Everybody seems to have a different idea of what brings long term effective weight loss. Some are successful, some not.

I don't want to be on a restrictive lifetime diet. For me, the sleeve is an opportunity to work on different ways to deal with stress and make healthier choices on a daily basis.

Mashed potatoes are slider food.. empty calories, will go right through you, it won't keep you satiated, you may find yourself hungry again very shortly after. It impacts your liver because all the carbs get absorbed and it directly impacts how your body burns up fat. In other words, it's asking for a stall. The pudding is just useless calories, even SF. I would Google search a list of protein-laden or nutritious food and stick to things low in carbs that you can tolerate.

Lots of great questions. My advice is going to be kinda wishy washy.... the right balance of carb/fat/protein really depends on what your body reacts to and what you can live with long term. It takes a little trial and error to hit on the formula for your body.

For me, avoiding sugar, grains & starch, while eating plenty of fat and a moderate amount of Protein has been the solution. I don't eat rice, bread, Pasta, quinoa, potatoes, etc. But i do get carbs from fruits, veggies and Beans. In addition to olive and coconut oil, I also eat cheese and nuts. Eating this way has kept me losing and also wipes out cravings. 1 helping of pasta or sugar triggers cravings and can screw up my mind or days.

Applying my plan to the foods you mentioned, my plan would be ok with the fattier Proteins, but I would stay a mile away from the chocolate, mashed potatoes and SF pudding (that is just a box full of chemicals, LOL).

My best advice is to decide what guidelines you want to follow and then stick to them religiously. The psychological/behavior issues are super important right now while you are in the early months. This is the time to make big changes in your relationship with food, while your stomach doesn't care.

Best of luck and I hope this helped a little.

21 minutes ago, deeveg said:

ith the fattier Proteins, but I would stay a mile away from the chocolate, mashed potatoes and SF pudding (that is just a box full of chemicals, LOL).

I agree particularly about the pudding, look at the ingredients list..

81ky3s7XeBL._SX522_.jpg

The only nutrition one even gets it if they add milk.. but you get that nutrition by having the milk without the pudding. And far less sodium.

27 minutes ago, deeveg said:

For me, avoiding sugar, grains & starch, while eating plenty of fat and a moderate amount of Protein has been the solution

Are you on a ketogenic diet? I use Keto strips on days when I need to remind myself that my body is in fact in ketosis and I am actually losing weight (even when the scale hasn't budged). I'm really interested in trying it, which is also why I'm not sure if I should or shouldn't worry about fat. I get some healthy fats in via avocados etc., but also get in trans fats via things like meat. I wonder if heart, liver, and gallbladder health differs between people who are on various high fat/low carb/low fat/high Protein diets.

Thanks for your advice and I'm definitely staying away from the unnecessary carbs and pudding :)

16 hours ago, PAstudent said:

Are you on a ketogenic diet? I use Keto strips on days when I need to remind myself that my body is in fact in ketosis and I am actually losing weight (even when the scale hasn't budged). I'm really interested in trying it, which is also why I'm not sure if I should or shouldn't worry about fat. I get some healthy fats in via avocados etc., but also get in trans fats via things like meat. I wonder if heart, liver, and gallbladder health differs between people who are on various high fat/low carb/low fat/high Protein diets.

I'm just outside of keto because I've been eating fruit and Beans. But I'm 8 months out. I was in keto for the first few months. I couldn't take the stank mouth bad breath from keto anymore!!

When I first started on this journey, I read every study I could find in my search for the ideal eating plan. I was SOOOO frustrated. There is very little hard science out there about the right way to eat for the human body. Every blogger swears they know the answer...haha, have you ever watched a paleo follower and a vegan go at it?

So am I just setting myself up for failure? I'm meeting my surgeon's Protein and Fluid intake goals, but I'm not paying much heed to focusing on low calorie/fat items due to restriction (ex. the other day I poached chicken thighs instead of breasts). I'm also able to tolerate about 1.5 ounces of ribeye steak without any undue difficulty or discomfort now. Will choosing such fatty cuts come back to bite me in the future? How often do you guys let yourselves indulge while, for the most part, staying on track? Last week I let myself have 1 square of dark chocolate. Is this within the realm of acceptable? I'm currently eating 450-650 calories a day with 3 meals and a Protein Shake.< br>
I'm also wondering about the list of acceptable foods I was given. Though mashed potatoes and sugar free pudding taste good, I don't see why I should be eating them. Aren't they more or less empty calories? I didn't partake in them much during my pureed stage, but should I just get rid of these foods now that I can tolerate solids?

Also, has anyone found that they have a difficult time with soft cheeses? I bought some light laughing cow wedges and they seem to sit in my tummy for quite a lot longer than any other foods I eat. I'm usually only able to get through half a wedge before deciding I just don't want any more.

When I allowed myself a little bit of chocolate, I found it was a slippery slope. I've had to reel it in because it got out of hand.

When I allowed myself a little bit of chocolate, I found it was a slippery slope. I've had to reel it in because it got out of hand.

Ditto. I have little control with chocolate. I don't do the sf puddings because they offer nothing and make me crave real chocolate. I have been doing the halo top ice cream but I have to measure it out. It goes down so easy. At least it has Protein. I'm on full liquids for three weeks and there is just so little to choose from. Do I need to worry about slider foods at only a week out ? Idk. I'm only getting around 500 calories a day.

Ditto. I have little control with chocolate. I don't do the sf puddings because they offer nothing and make me crave real chocolate. I have been doing the halo top ice cream but I have to measure it out. It goes down so easy. At least it has Protein. I'm on full liquids for three weeks and there is just so little to choose from. Do I need to worry about slider foods at only a week out ? Idk. I'm only getting around 500 calories a day.

I wish I had worried more. I thought, it's only 5 m&ms. I can stop at 5. That worked for a while, but then it just made me test the limit and I found out I can tolerate sugar pretty well. That made me wonder what else I could have. I was sitting at my desk, eating m&ms by the handful throughout the day, (I'm a 5th grade teacher and there are 2 weeks left of school- can we say "stress?") I realized I was stress eating. The whole point of this is for me to make some new habits for coping. I realize there are certain foods that are just "never again" foods. Idk if you can relate.

Sandy, it's great that you are evaluating what is happening and the why. Since you like to munch on something at your desk.. instead of m&ms, bring carrot sticks, celery, bell pepper strips, etc. Be a good way to get some veggies in mindlessly.

I can relate. I am working on accepting that I need new things to do when I'm bored and to always be prepared (healthy Snacks available, good choices when they're not so handy). I used to think that you could eat anything but in small amounts but have quickly learned that's not the truth and sliders go down easy. I love m&m's so they won't go in my mouth. I did this to change but I also know some things never will. I have to make choices each day and it does worry me. I'm using my honeymoon period to learn as much as I can.

10 hours ago, Joann454 said:

Yes, stay away from slider foods even at 1 week out. The point of the honeymoon phase is to develop lifelong habits so once you're in maintenance mode your risk for regain is low. Focus on new eating habits, not trying to mimic past food pleasures with products like Halo Top Ice Cream, which contains sugar alcohols and cane sugar, which won't aid in weight loss or curb cravings.

Edited by MarinaGirl

Yes, stay away from slider foods even at 1 week out. The point of the honeymoon phase is to develop lifelong habits so once you're in maintenance mode your risk for regain is low. Focus on new eating habits, not trying to mimic past food pleasures with products like Halo Top Ice Cream, which contains sugar alcohols and cane sugar, which won't aid in weight loss or curb cravings.

My gut said it was too good to be true. I'm just so incredibly over this full liquid deal (two more weeks) I was looking for something to break up the monotony.

Full liquids..

I was so busy trying to meet my goals, didn't have time to get frustrated ;)

I did find the Protein kefir to be useful. Homemade broth was excellent. Lots of herbal teas gave variety. A couple cups of milk and liquid yogurt, and that was my day (couldn't tolerate Protein Shakes, so worked around that).

The refer to the new sleeve or pouch as a "baby". Babies drink milk! Lol. I was lucky to tolerate dairy.