Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

not losing weight day 18 post op

Hi,

I have not lost weight since I started started stage 2. My weight keeps going back and forth between 3 lbs. up and down but remains the same. Today is day 18 post op and i finally start pureed foods last night. I get a feeling of fullness but i have not felt any restrictions. It takes me 15 minutes to finish a shake. I can eat a whole pudding cup or yogurt without difficulty. I have been keeping track of my intake and i am getting in my 60-70 gm of Protein everyday. My calorie intake is between 600 to 800. I do my 30 minute walks weather permitting. I do increased housework on these last rainy days. The last 2 days i know i have not been taking in enough Water. drinking only 32 oz instead 64, other wise have been right on track. I am very happy that i have lost some weight, but feeling very discouraged that nothing else is coming off after having such a huge surgery. Any suggestions? Id appreciate some help. Thank you so much.

Are you the same weight as you were surgery day? I'm following this thread. This is my fear. I am sure this is so frustrating and disappointing. (5 days post op here)

I think you just need to remember you are playing the long game here and need to focus that way on doing the basics. Adn definitely need the water....

obsessing over 3 lbs is probably not good for you.

I have lost 10 lbs since my surgery date which i am very happy with that. I have lost a total of 17 lbs with the surgery diet and after surgery. Im not obsessing over 3lbs, I think you missed the point. I am not losing weight since 1 st stage diet . I have been the same weight for 2 weeks within 3 lbs. I am seeing that people have lost up to 30 lbs by now and i have lost only 10. Thank you so much for the suggestions.

37 minutes ago, camony said:

I have lost 10 lbs since my surgery date which i am very happy with that. I have lost a total of 17 lbs with the surgery diet and after surgery. Im not obsessing over 3lbs, I think you missed the point. I am not losing weight since 1 st stage diet . I have been the same weight for 2 weeks within 3 lbs. I am seeing that people have lost up to 30 lbs by now and i have lost only 10. Thank you so much for the suggestions.

If that's the way you're going to look at it, expect perpetual disappointment.

37 minutes ago, camony said:

Keep in mind you don't have very much weight to lose, if you're indeed 174 right now, and you've already taken off 31--which is fantastic. You're not going to lose at the same rate as someone like myself who was starting at 225 pounds to lose. I think you're right on track with eating and drinking. That's where I'm at right now and I'm a month out. I remember being shocked, and a little sad, when I was able to eat a cup of yogurt or drink a Protein Shake within a half hour. liquids pretty much go right through your stomach, and you can eat more yogurt than, lets say, chicken breast. Once you start eating real meat and real food, you'll find that you eat less than the soft stuff, feel full longer, and will probably start losing again.

Our bodies just need a break around 2-3 weeks, but keep the Water up, up, up and it will pick up again.

It's really hard not to compare yourself to others. I get it. Work on it though because I'd guess the folks who lost 30 lbs by now were much heavier than you to begin with. Are you taking your measurements? Losing inches?

Im just focusing on getting my system healed up and operating normally and then i will start thinking about pounds and losing.

Im just focusing on getting my system healed up and operating normally and then i will start thinking about pounds and losing.

Right. I'm not even weighing till my two week follow up.

I think we are all individuals and will lose at our own rates. It makes sense if you have less to lose that it will be slower coming off. Everything I have read says stalls are common especially at the 2-3 week mark. I would weigh yourself less often and don't stress.

thank you all for your input, it really does mean a lot, keep in mind i'm only 5 ft. 2.

Two things:

1. Vis a vis the lack of weight loss, I would suggest ramping up the exercise a bit. I feel like my weight loss really started accelerating once I start pushing myself harder on the treadmill and elliptical. I'm sore, but it's worth it. You can't out-exercise a bad diet, but it really complements a good diet.

2. Absolute weight numbers are basically meaningless when it comes to weight loss. As someone else noted, if you start out at 200lbs, you are not going to see the same absolute numbers as someone at 500lbs. You should be looking at your starting excess weight on the day of surgery and seeing how you're progressing from there. For example, I was 302lbs, my initial goal is 170lbs. Thus, my excess weight is 132lbs. I've lost 34lbs thus far, so 34/132 = 25% of the excess body weight is gone over almost exactly a month. It's unlikely I'll be able to keep doing that, but it's super encouraging for now.

Hi Newbie, I will try amping up the exercise. and maybe even increasing my calorie intake might help a little. I do have some limitations do to some previous injuries but will do as much as i can. Hopefully i can walk a little further than i have in the past. I am excited to take on these new challenges. Sounds like you are doing great so far. It feels amazing when it starts coming off. Thank you. I wish you good health and good luck

I had to meet with a fitness trainer before my surgery and he encouraged us to that walking was not considered "exercise" and that we need to do more if we want to see results. It would be different if you started out at 400 pounds and unable to walk. You should try some more intense exercises.

It doesn't matter if you're 400 or 150, if you don't exercise, walking a mile is intense. My personal advice from past experience if you can walk a mile while having a conversation, then pick up your speed and add another mile or two. Once you can walk five miles easily, then start running. But if you jump right into trying to run a mile, or something equally strenuous when you're out of shape, you're only going to hurt yourself. Take it easy and start with what you can do and go up from there.