Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello

I have been researching about Tijuana doctors nonstop. I have my mind on 2 for a VSG surgery. But I'm really concerned about scarring. My weight is 200 lbs BMI of 35. I don't think I will need a Tummy Tuck or any addional surgeries to remove skin because a lot of my weight is not primary in my stomach area. Anyone here can share their experience with scarring? Pictures 1 year post op?

Thank you!!

Edited by k-athy
Added info

I have five surgical scars that are less than one inch in length each.

For me, it was a trade-off: accept the minimal scarring or remain obese. I was not about to stay fat, so the scars were not a major issue for me.

However, remaining obese is the bigger issue here. Obesity will cut your life short, whereas a scar or two will not. Obesity leads to diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, arthritis, sleep apnea, and multiple types of cancer.

Also, obesity is socially stigmatized: people would rather look at a surgical scar than gawk at one's badly overweight body. The obese are less likely to be hired, offered less pay for the same job as their thinner counterparts, and so forth. Society makes lazy judgments about the obese.

Worrying about a scar appears to be a hyper-focus on the aesthetic aspect of surgery. Bariatric surgery is not about aesthetics; instead, it is about regaining one's health and living a healthier lifestyle. If a surgical scar is needed to add happier years to my life, then so be it.

Edited by Introversion

This is 5 weeks out. I expect them to turn white. There are 4.

14933130269781941063578.jpg

14933130269781941063578.thumb.jpg.096f2f7cb3053634e6ffa38ed78e25fe.jpg

Does Dr. Illan use glue or stitches? I don't know why I haven't asked before since I'm less than 20 days from surgery. Lol

15 minutes ago, Berry78 said:

14933130269781941063578.jpg

Who was your surgeon? Your scars don't look bad. Thanks for sharing! :-)

I didn't see glue on the outside, but there were stitches just under the skin. They were absorbable, but some of them poked me, so I pulled them about 4 weeks out.

Dr. Illan. Yes, I'm very pleased.

I also had Dr Illan and am 6 days post op. I had 5 incisions, though one was very small. I have dissolvable stitches under the skin also...Some ends do poke out. Btw...Dr Illan and team were great! I just got home two days ago and feel awesome.

Sent from my SM-G900T using BariatricPal mobile app

4 minutes ago, JenSev said:

I also had Dr Illan and am 6 days post op. I had 5 incisions, though one was very small. I have dissolvable stitches under the skin also...Some ends do poke out. Btw...Dr Illan and team were great! I just got home two days ago and feel awesome.

Thank you for sharing. How long were you in Mexico? Do you think at 4 days post op you can be back at work? I'm thinking of taking 2 days off from work + 2 days on the weekend to recover and be back to work Monday. Am I crazy to think I can be back at work after 4 days post op? I had a C section and I was fine after 3 days. Of course not running but able to walk and wasn't in a lot of pain. I have a desk job, so I'm hoping it's possible.

Edited by k-athy

Well, this is how it went for me:

Monday surgery. Tuesday hospital. Wednesday hotel. Thursday hotel. Friday fly home.

I felt great on Friday, but then, I'd been on Clear Liquids for a week. Once I started Protein on Sunday, I became more tired.

If possible, take a week off work. Most people take two or three weeks off, even for a desk job. For the first 3 weeks, even though I felt fine physically, mentally I was shot. Kept using the wrong words. That has improved, thank goodness. Even yesterday I said "yesterday" even though I meant "tomorrow"! Weird..

I flew in on Friday morning, was in surgery by 1pm. I think I was up walking for the first time at around 6 pm, but with a lot of gas pain. Next day I was a bit better...Was able to shower, dress, walk and sip liquids with no real issues. I stayed two nights in the hospital then went to the hotel for two nights. I was able to walk for many hours each day at that point. The valet took us all over to shop and a couple nice places to eat. We were very active just three days after surgery. I flew home Tuesday and have been pretty much my normal self. I would say 4 days off is enough.

On 2017-04-26 at 4:00 PM, k-athy said:

Hello

I have been researching about Tijuana doctors nonstop. I have my mind on 2 for a VSG surgery. But I'm really concerned about scarring. My weight is 200 lbs BMI of 35. I don't think I will need a Tummy Tuck or any addional surgeries to remove skin because a lot of my weight is not primary in my stomach area. Anyone here can share their experience with scarring? Pictures 1 year post op?

Thank you!!

My BMI was 31 at the time of surgery, I had a TT after I had my kids and lost weight (6 years ago) so my stomach was still pretty good, so I won't "need" it. I wouldn't worry to much about scars if your BMI is 35, you'll likely need a TT (if your worried about the appearance of a few little scars, the loose skin will bother you more). I had my gall bladder out and had the same scars before, after 2 years they faded out and you could hardly tell, unless you looked for them.