Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Missing food: so emotional

Let me first say, I don't regret this. I got the sleeve for my health and wellbeing and I knew it was going to be hard. I just didn't realize the depth of my love for food.

I'm 10 days post op, living on cottage cheese, re fried Beans, Protein Drinks and Water (along with some other puréed food).

I had a relationship with food that is gone now. Tostino pizza rolls won't be there for my next Netflix binge. chips and dips won't comfort me after a hard day at work. I can't sneak away to Breakfast with my husband while the kids are still sleeping and I'm sad about it. I'm sad about losing food.

And I'm tired. So very tired. And emotional. I get my walking in, I go to the gym when I can and I do stretches at home but dang it. I am tired.

I know it's a process and it gets better and all that but I'm just being honest and open and transparent because that's what we do here.

((katieroybal)) I think you need a hug. I feel where you are coming from. It hits you hard when you realize how important we have made food in our lives.

Tonight I cooked dinner for my family. I made panko and Parmesan coated chicken breasts with a cream leek sauce and garlic and dill mashed potatoes.

My hubs and my daughter sat down to their plates and I sat down to my half cup of mashed cauliflower.

We joked about what Thanksgiving was going to look like, if I'd even be able to get dinner down.

I laughed with them but it hurt a little because my normal is now different.

This moment will pass as we redefine what it means to eat and to be social.

Hey,

I'm 6 days post op and I came here to kind of find someone that is hurting in a sense as much as me.

It's easter, my family is very large and we have had dinners and lunches to attend all weekend (today is day 3 of 4). Today i lost it, I left my Mums with my water bottle underarm and as soon as I drove away i burst into tears.

I aswel in no way regret doing this, and i knew it would be hard but I never ever realised how much food plays a part in everybody's lives.

In saying this, I got home and began writing down in my journal about my day. And I found myself flicking back to day 2 and 3 and 4 and this reminded me that everyday has been hard but everyday everything has felt better and just to remember that I did this to improve my quality of life and in time i will learn how to cope in these situations.

We got this 💪

You know its ok to be sad.
its a lifestyle change. It's not easy and it won't be for a little while. It will get better though.. I'm only 6 days post op but today I feel better. Tomorrow I start pureed food as per my doctor and you know what? I'm ecstatic!! Basically I'm relearning HOW to eat again - from liquids to pureed to hopefully solids in a few weeks, but more conscious of portion!

When you see the scale move, the clothes fit better, the overall changes; food will become something much less important.

Letting go of what once was is always hard.. and who says you wont be able to have "some" things - key is.. moderation. you will start comparing nutritional values and see what is better and slowly but surely everything will fall into place.

I would give you a big hugs if I could. There will be other holidays to share and most main dishes will be doable on plan when you get there, some turkey, some ham, a deviled egg, some veggies. I do all the holiday cooking and sometimes am too wound up to eat much when I finally get to sit down with everyone. Concentrate on the conversations and decorations.

I am not where you are, so I am sure I will have issues like everyone else when those hormones hit.

Best of luck.

I hear you. Feel your feelings, sit with them for awhile, identity what triggered it and try to find something else to occupy your time. There will be slip ups but don't beat yourself up. Good luck.

Believe me i was the same way i regretted the surgery the first couple of weeks.. i was sleeved feb 8th, now that i eat regular good its so much better. Yesterday was our easter get together and i said to myself i am enjoying myself eating what i want and grazed all day. Buffalo chik dip, ham,potatoes, linguini salad mac salad....It was devine lol i was suprised at the amount i could eat for dinner and had a nice peice of cake too. I felt normal! But today is back to reality and im back to measuring out my food, it was nice to have a free day. Also i am down 50lbs! I thought id gain weight from yesterday but i actually lost 1.5lbs, maybe i needed those extra carbs and calories! [emoji6]

I am 6 days out and also exhausted. Just doing little things make me so tired. I am emotional drained as well. No regrets just gotta get thru this point. No purred for two weeks post op so i am already planning my first meal. [emoji3]

I totally get it!!! But, what i realized is that without this tool I see where I would've only continued in my foolishness with food. It's know different than a no good man (or woman) that you won't leave, a dead end job that you stay at. ITS TIME TO shake THINGS UP!!!! GET OUT OF "THE FAT THOUGHT" FRAME OF MIND. We've been their far to long. When i cook for others or go get dinner for others, I do wish that I could. BUT IM GLAD THAT I CANT. IM sooo weak in my own strength and I know I would've have fallen over and over again and remained in my rut. My new normal is no way easy, but I'm sooo glad about it!!! Thank you Jesus. Just like any other lost that you have no control over, it get better with time. There's sooo many different variations to the food that you use to eat, just a healthier version of it. I JUST LOVE THAT!!! It will be ok....BELIEVE THAT IT WILL...KICK DEPRESSION TO THE SAME CURVE YOU KICKED OTHER PROBLEMATIC THINGS IN OUR LIVES. You've taken charge of you life. NOW WALK LIKE A BOSS AND GO GET YOUR BLESSINGS!!! HAPPY EASTER #RESURRECTEDFEB20thSLEEVER2017

I am 6 days out and also exhausted. Just doing little things make me so tired. I am emotional drained as well. No regrets just gotta get thru this point. No purred for two weeks post op so i am already planning my first meal. [emoji3]

I know how you feel! I have to wait another week until I move into the puree stage and mashed refried Beans have never sounded so good! And I have never liked then before!!! I still cook for my family and I love to watch them eat! Lol! They think I'm crazy.

Thank you all for your replies. It's nice having a group of people who are going or have gone through the same emotions and realizations that I am right now.

The odd thing is that I thought I would miss my wine or coffee but I couldn't care less right now. Just being able to share my emotions helped. Getting it out releases some pent up negativity that was just getting me down yesterday.

I wish I could give you a hug too. I am also 6 days post op, I got the sleeve too. My Dr. has is do 3 weeks liquid diet so I have 2 more until soft stage yumm. It's a lifestyle change and it's so worth it. I was having a oh no more broth kind of day and decided to weigh myself to see if I've dropped any weight, 17 lbs !!!!!![emoji322][emoji322]

I'm sorry it's so hard[emoji8]. I was sleeved on 2/6 and can now eat most foods if I want. Of course I don't but just knowing I can sometimes makes me feel better. Those first few weeks are the absolute toughest. But breakfasts with the hubby will be doable again, I promise.

I went to the beach in Port Aransas,TX with my family. I haven't told anyone about my surgery. Nobody noticed that I just nibbled a hot dog with no bun:-). My sister handed me a blueberry vodka with club for a refreshment. I pretended to sip it until nobody was looking and poured it out under the truck:-). Filled my cup with Water and sipped away.

It won't be long before doing sneaky little things like that are not only entertaining but gives you a feeling of pride that you could eat/drink all that stuff but have the strength not to.

Your mindset about food will change. My relationship with food is so different now. I can go to town and run errands and never even think about hitting a drive thru. I think you know how freakin impressive that is considering where we start in this new life journey.

I know this doesn't fix today or maybe not even tomorrow but I hope I helped snap you out of your funk even a little bit.

Happy Easter[emoji235][emoji235]