Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm having 2nd thoughts!

I understand, I had second thoughts too, esp. during my 12 day liquid diet. Your emotions are up and down and every which way in between. We have about the same stats. I am 11 months post op and down 81 pounds. It was the best decision I ever made, I wish I had done it a lot sooner. Dig deep down in your heart, write a list of why you are doing it. Then a list of your fears. If you really feel you are not ready and need more time, reschedule it. But if your reasons outweigh your fears, hang in there and stick to the liquid diet. I had the normal feelings of regret and "buyers remorse" a few days after sugery, but by the second week I was feeling like myself again and those feelings went away. You can do this, keep coming back to this site, ask a lot of questions. I wish you the best with your decision.

What is causing your second thoughts; finances, liquid diet or other?

I think it is normal to have second thoughts. I did myself bore my bypass on 11/9. You are the only one that can answer the question. I wish you the best and know you will make the right decision that is best for you.

Just posted this in another thread this morning:

It's important to remind yourself that you made the decision to have surgery when you were in a logical/rational state of mind. Last-minute jitters are common, but they are emotional and irrational. Don't let them deter you from following through on a decision that you made after a LONG period of research and reflection.

Hmmm I was asked what is making have 2nd thoughts... failure, social settings... how will I survive ( not drinking and eating what others are ) worried because of that I'm gonna withdrawal ... go in a little hole... from family and friends ( they don't know) just to avoid ( I am a very social person also the thought of not being able to eat on special occasions like vacations (planning on visiting my son who is stationed in Italy in the navy haven't seen him in 3 years) I'm just an emotional wreck

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

No don't think like that... I'm right here with you my date is 2/08 as well :D and I'm currently doing the pre op diet. I'm sitting at my desk and I sit pretty close to the kitchen all I smelled all day long was delicious food. I had to fight the urge to go downstairs and grab something to eat. But I know more than anything I want/need to lose weight! I refuse to let this year go by and say what I should have done! By this time next year you will be a Better you! Let's do this together okay!!!

You will still be able to eat in social settings. Once you are through the post-op food stages and all healed up, you will be able to eat anything. Just in smaller quantities. The main requirement will simply be Protein. Every party/function/dinner/gathering I have been to post-op has had SOME sort of protein choice available. I've been to Holiday parties, Super Bowl parties, cookouts, happy hours.... I have managed to find something to eat at every single one of those.

Hmmm I was asked what is making have 2nd thoughts... failure, social settings... how will I survive ( not drinking and eating what others are ) worried because of that I'm gonna withdrawal ... go in a little hole... from family and friends ( they don't know) just to avoid ( I am a very social person also the thought of not being able to eat on special occasions like vacations (planning on visiting my son who is stationed in Italy in the navy haven't seen him in 3 years) I'm just an emotional wreck

I understand now. I have not had surgery yet, but I do think about these things too. I think what is keeping me focused is the end result. I have struggled with my weight all my life. At one point I did not want to take this route. I was one of those that thought this was the easier way out. Seeing so many succeed got me thinking. After reading SO MUCH, I now understand this will be hard. However, it will be the most rewarding thing I can do for myself. I will have this tool to finally get to the finish line. I am tired of starting and stopping with limited success.

All those things you worry about I believe are really only the first year (Vets correct me if I am wrong). You will need to monitor what you eat and the quantity forever to have lasting results, but after all that is the intention. At least for me. Eventually you will be able to indulge if you wish, but your sleeve will always be there to help you control over doing it.

I hope you decide on what is best for you. Either way I wish you the best. We are here to hear you out. xoxoxo

I had my sleeve on 1/20 right now I am miserable! I love to cook and loved to eat. I had no doubts going in at all but now I am a little sad HOWEVER I am off two of meds right out of surgery and had a last med cut down by 70%! I know it will get better in time and I had to do this for my life! I struggled with Type 2 diabetes for years. So I know in time this was the right choice for me.

I was 212 5'4 and self pay too. Please don't let social situations deter you- I mean for the first few months - yes - but after that you just eat like a normal slim person! ( maybe a little less) it's amazing- food doesn't have the hold it once did! Which is the best most amazing part to me .

Oh and by the way- I was one of the ones who regretted the crap out of this surgery... ( had severe nausea months 2 and 3) and now am so happy I did it

Don't give up!! The pre-op diet is the hardest part by far. I'm 1 week post sleeve and I feel great. The hunger has disappeared! It's nothing like the pre-op torture.

You can do it!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

You can do it! I was a nervous wreck before surgery, from the pre op diet to going under, I was having a million racing thoughts and second guessing everything. I'm just 6 DAYS post op, so I was in your shoes less than a week ago.

One thing that helped me was reminding myself that I made this decision when I was in a good date of mind. Rest assured in the knowledge you've equipped yourself with in making that informed decision.

You'll do great!

I am self pay too, had mine in Mexico. Had 2nd thoughts literally until the day I was flying out because I am on lower end of BMI and had lost 8 lbs in 2 week pre-op so thought I could just do it myself but then I reminded myself that I've lost and gained the same 70-80 lbs many times over so I went for it. I had a super easy recovery (100x better then I was expecting) and now I'm 5 weeks post and down a total of 27 lbs and so far no regrets.