Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Before and after pics - beef jerky!

I think this is "Goodbye Protein bars!" We'll see, but I can say at the least they are going to be showing up a lot less around here. I made my first batch of beef Jerky today. Actually, it was my second batch. The first batch - well, we don't talk about that. Let's just say that my normally well functioning smoker turned into a crematorium that day. :huh:

Anyway. I did some looking around on the interweb, and found a list of recipes to try. After that it was just a matter of assembling the ingredients, disassembling a beef roast with a freshly sharpened carving knife, and as our oldest daughter used to say, "Walla!" :P

This stuff is great! :D It tastes way better and costs way less than the stuff you see in the stores, and I have about as complete a control over it as possible. I just put four ounces down my neck, which according to the table I found should be around 39 grams of protein. I did hand off a few pieces of gristle to my faithful dog, Jester. Of course, he was being as faithful as he was because he knew what I was eating.

So if you're thinking about some alternatives to Protein Bars and shakes, and don't mind carnivorous activities or a little bit of work, give it a try. If you are concerned about the fat content, there are also recipes all over the place for turkey jerky. As a side benefit, I think my jaw muscles got more of a workout than they have in months. Pretty soon my face will be bulging with new muscles too.

post-305822-0-70427800-1482614559_thumb.jpg

post-305822-0-12215400-1482614579_thumb.jpg

Yes please share the recipe!! My hubby bought a smoker and our daughter came over and did some stuff on it, I don't care for smoked meat or even Barbeque anymore but I do like Jerky. This might be just the push he needs to use that BRAND NEW SMOKER that he thought he needed. LOL

A smoker you say? I may have to invest in one. Electric or charcoal?

Inspired me to make a batch. Thawing out some elk and some lamb...

Little Bill, smoker or dehydrator? do you think I can make it with less salt if I refrigerate it?

Okay, here's the recipe folks. I guess I should have put that in the OP since this is a recipe section. This is not my own, and I may tweak it just a little, but it is VERY good right out of the box, so to speak. I will also note that in my haste to get it done, I forgot the sesame seeds. But this stuff is delicious even without them.

• 4 to 4 1/2 lb USDA choice top round
  • 4 cup tamari or soy sauce
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 4 tbsp minced ginger
  • 4 tbsp minced garlic
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
  • 1 tbsp ground pepper
  • Sesame seeds

Slice the beef to 1/8" to 1/4" slices, and then cut into 1" strips.

Mix all the other ingredients together except for the sesame seeds. Pour over the beef, mix well to coat all surfaces, and marinate in the refrigerator overnight.

When you are ready to make the Jerky (or jerk the beef, they say), you can use an oven, a smoker, or a dehydrator. Drain the marinade, rinse the meat, and lay out the strips in your machine of choice. This would be the time to add the seeds if you plan to use them.

We didi not use our smoker for this one, although it would be a good choice. Right now, it is tough to keep the smoker up to temperature because of the ambient temps here in eastern PA. We were given some money for Christmas, so we bought a dehydrator for the kitchen. We used that. I ran it for about three hours. My strips were a little on the thick side (sort of like I am). The time will vary depending on how you are drying it out. I checked it periodically, and then used a meat thermometer to see how it was looking for done. If you do not have a meat thermometer, it is done when it bends nicely and cracks, but does not break. If it breaks, you will have crunchy jerky. And while crunchy jerky smells good, it doesn't taste all that great. Don't ask me how I know that.

A smoker you say? I may have to invest in one. Electric or charcoal?

We actually have two. I bought an electric smoker for the summer months, and my son-in-law built me a propane fired one for the cooler months. Even with a pretty powerful burner though, it is tough to get it up to temperature here in the winter.

Inspired me to make a batch. Thawing out some elk and some lamb...

Little Bill, smoker or dehydrator? do you think I can make it with less salt if I refrigerate it?

Aggie, I used a dehydrator this time, although in warmer months I will smoke it. I suspect with less salt refrigeration will be fine. I know for me personally, I need more salt to boost my blood pressure. In any event, if this batch lasts a week, I will be doing well. I foresee this dehydrator getting a good workout until springtime when the smoker takes over again.

Scored a $100 dehydrator for $5 at the goodwill. I will have to see if I have any antelope left in the freezer. Think I'm still a couple weeks away from Jerky

We own a dehydrator and we will be digging it out to give this recipe a try. Thanks and please keep sharing. My hubby said he will make anything I want to help me be successful. I love my husband.

Banded 10/12/16

I dug the meat out of the freezer in the garage after it thawed I ended up making goulash (authentic Hungarian style) with the lamb as I didn't think I could get enough fat off of it. But have about 4 pounds of Elk, it's very lean, and 2 pounds of mystery meat, also lean, I think it's bison. I made three rubs, Teriyaki, Texas Mexicans (I used liquid smoke in this one) and low salt Maple Mustard. I assume sealed it and will leave it overnight then put it into the dehydrator tomorrow morning.

I made this much because we have a large dehydrator and try to fill it to conserve energy.

How does this table correct "Tex Mex"? And "vacuum"

??

How does this table correct "Tex Mex"? And "vacuum"

??

If you want some humorous reading sometime, Google "damn you autocorrect". :D