Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I'm now on the "eat what you want" part of my diet. It was easy before today because I had meal plans and followed it. But now, I can eat what I want all the sudden? Has anyone eaten the lean cuisines, weight watcher meals, etc. Ya know, the super convenient freezer meals? Or is it better to stick with fresh foods?

Also, off subject but, before surgery I was hot, ALL THE TIME. it was never to cold in my house or office. I would freeze everyone out setting my thermostat at 65 and keeping it there. Now, I am always freezing! Is this normal? Anyone else experience this?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The freezing thing is totally normal. Many of us go though that. I joke and say I lost all my insulation. I personally don't eat the frozen meals due to the carbs and sodium levels in them. I prefer to eat fresh foods that I cook myself. Many people cook ahead for a week at a time to make it easier and save time.

I am sitting in a thick jumper and wool socks over my sweats, under a duvet! And my feet still are cold as ice!

I don't use convenience meals because I waste so much. If I don't like them, if my sleeve doesn't like them, too filling etc.

But I know you work lots so you have to do what's best for you!

I'm currently sitting at my desk with my winter coat on! I was never ever cold before and would be so hot and agitated if it was over 70.

I tend to stick with meat, cheese, eggs and veggies. I'm learning my way around my sprializer and purchased an egg cooker for the microwave at work. For lunch at work I will have 2 slices of deli ham with a little mustard and piece of cheese wrapped up. Sometimes I'll throw a pickle in there too.

I don't eat the frozen meals as a lot of them have rice or Pasta in them and I'm still avoiding those for the most part!

Yep the cold thing is completely normal! I actually got a little worried at one point a few weeks post op - middle of summer, actual temperature over 100F, walking outside for 2.5hrs and didn't even break a sweat. Whereas I used to sweat all the time - so I don't miss the constantly sweating thing AT ALL. And now I do still sweat if my workout is good. Buy yeah, that day I was worried there was something wrong with my body's natural cooling mechanism and I couldn't sweat but nope...we just conserve energy differently now.

I prefer not to use the pre-packaged meals like that because they do tend to still be carb heavy and not really enough Protein for us, plus the sodium.

As a worker though, I get the convenience factor. So to combat that, I use a couple hours on sunday afternoon to do food prep so I have lunches that I can just grab out of the refrigerator on my way to work. I also try to get a lot of dinner prep done so I don't have to do a lot of prepping and cooking when I get home from work - not feeling like prepping food, cooking and cleaning a whole bunch of pans and stuff is how I got into the very bad habit of frequent take out/fast food pre-op. THe good thing is we eat such small portions, that a recipe covers a lot of meals for us. If I don't want to have the same thing for dinner 5 nights in a row - I freeze a couple portions.

A convenience thing that I do take advantage of is frozen cooked shrimp. Put a serving in a ziploc baggie and they are thawed by lunch time.

I got a food saver and I love it. It's impossible to cook our sized meals so now I make an entire roast or pork tenderloin and divvy it into small portions and vacuum seal them for the freezer. They keep forever and I have lots of variety cuz I don't have to eat what I cook for a whole week now.

i don't like to cook so I do rely on a lot of premade food. My #1 and 2 go tos are the grilled chicken strips and chicken burgers from Applegate Organics and Brat Hans.

More sodium than if you made it yourself but less than a lean cuisine.

I eat the strips cold and the burgers go in the microwave for 1 minute.

Easy to portion dense lean Protein and I don't have to cook or clean a thing.

Just a suggestion!

@@gustavio I would avoid prepared meals like lean cousine, weight watchers, etc. - not only are they loaded with sodium but they often have tons of carbs. You would be much better off preparing meals ahead of time - like on a Sunday - make appropriate portion sized lunches/dinners and put some in refrigerator and some in freezer. Grill a few chicken breasts (or cook them in a crock pot with some broth, spices, etc.) and make a few meals out of them making different things (chicken salad, chicken with veggies, a chicken parm casserole type thing (kind of like ricotta bake but with chicken), buffalo chicken salad or dip). There's so many possibilities to eat fresh foods rather than the processed food.

@@gustavio someone posted a while ago about how ziploc sells 4oz containers that have a 2oz line marked on them to measure. And they would fill it up 2oz veggies and 2 oz meat... and have a variety of those filled up for the week so u don't get sick of eating the same thing. You got this! Avoid the frozen food aisle if possible. You invested a ton in this already so invest just a wee bit more time and make your meals for the week :-)

@@gustavio I would avoid prepared meals like lean cousine, weight watchers, etc. - not only are they loaded with sodium but they often have tons of carbs. You would be much better off preparing meals ahead of time - like on a Sunday - make appropriate portion sized lunches/dinners and put some in refrigerator and some in freezer. Grill a few chicken breasts (or cook them in a crock pot with some broth, spices, etc.) and make a few meals out of them making different things (chicken salad, chicken with veggies, a chicken parm casserole type thing (kind of like ricotta bake but with chicken), buffalo chicken salad or dip). There's so many possibilities to eat fresh foods rather than the processed food.

Chicken parm bake sounds delish! Got a recipe? Lol

Buffalo chicken sounds great also

So, I'm now on the "eat what you want" part of my diet.

There's an "eat what you want" part? Dang! I should have shopped surgeons better.

:D

I mean, I'm still suppose to watch carbs, fat and calories and have no added sugar, but when I say "eat what I want, I mean I have no texture restrictions. I'm Beyond puréed and soft-to no reatrictions.

Yes I eat them and I love them! I work 60 hrs a week so making dinner at 2:00 am when I get home is not really an option. I try to get the ones with no Pasta though. Stouffers has a high Protein one called Fit Kitchen it's a lot of food so I can't eat it all at once, I eat half at night and usually the other half in the morning..

Edited by reeniemay

Yes I eat them and I love them! I work 60 hrs a week so making dinner at 2:00 am when I get home is not really an option. I try to get the ones with no Pasta though. Stouffers has a high Protein one called Fit Kitchen it's a lot of food so I can't eat it all at once, I eat half at night and usually the other half in the morning..

What does the sodium look like in these?