Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice on nutrition when flying 2 weeks post-op

Hi everyone,

I did a search but came up empty on this. I'd appreciate any advice.

I have to fly for a short weekend trip 2 weeks post-op, which is fine with my doctor. Should I just go ahead and buy the individual Protein powder packets? Should I maybe pop a couple of pre-made shakes in my bag?

What has worked best for you?

Thanks in advance.

I didn't travel that soon after surgery, but when I do I bring Protein bars just in case. I would take Protein Powder if I were in your shoes. What stage are you on? You could always get canned tuna, but you might not be that far along.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thanks everyone.

@@lifeofblair My doctor's plan is a little different than others. We can have "funnel foods" (anything that can slide through a funnel) beginning as soon as possible. This includes scrambled eggs.

Looks like I may need to pick up some of the Syntrax Grab and Go packets as my best option.

@@KristenLe Thank you. I will definitely remind the doctor of the trip on my post op visit. It's a short one, (Las Vegas to Portland) which is good.

I've heard you can take pre made shakes if it's medically necessary (not positive though) might want to get your dr to write a note for it.

Yogurt is usually easily found, so you can always buy some when you get to your destination.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Yep, just flew this past week. You can't take more than 3 oz of liquid with you, however, you can buy Water after going through security so the powdered Protein would work.

Hi there - I flew for an about 10 day trip at 2 weeks post op. My flight was only 5 1/2 hours long and they served a really good cheese omelette so I was fine on the flight. I just made sure to have something before boarding - I think I had a greek yogurt at the airport.

I also bought a pre-made Protein shake at the airport after going through security and brought that on the plane. I drank half of it towards the end of the flight and the rest on my way to my accommodations.

More important thing is to buy a big Water to drink on the plane. I was in first class so the attendant kept my Water glass full, but with all the potential delays and etc good idea to have enough water with you.

While I was on my trip, I relied heavily on my Blender Bottle and Protein Powder. The Blender Bottle was one of my smartest purchases. It saved me!

I take my own yogurt, stick it in a qt size clear bag without a problem. You can mix some Protein powder into it at 2 weeks. When you say short trip, I don't know if you mean a quick turnaround or a short flight.

@@trekker954 Both. Short flight (Las Vegas to Portland) and short trip (Friday thru Sunday).

I always take individual Protein packets. Although I've considered buying pre-made shakes when I got to my destination. Either would work.

If you have a friend who works at a drug store, get a few prescription labels. I slap them on liquids over 3oz and TSA is supposed to let them go through. (Consider that they miss 90% of contraband items anyway but they do seem to be really good at finding benign liquids). Its a short trip, but I have found that most convenience stores have great stocks of Protein drinks now. Two of those a day is more than enough to get me through a couple of days of travel.

Thanks for all of the advice and ideas!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk

I know this isn't nutritional related, but be aware of blood clots. Make sure you move your feet and get up part way through the flight. I'd hate to see you get a blood clot.