Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My sister is having her surgery in September and I want to collect a few things now til then to make her hospital stay a bit better especially since we won't be able to stay with her all day (school starting). Do you have any suggestion on what I should put in there for her? She already has her Protein that she loves. I was thinking about maybe a water bottle, some socks and pjs.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

They give you socks in the hospital.

The only thing you really need is lip balm. Maybe make a care package of different lip balms.

My sister is having her surgery in September and I want to collect a few things now til then to make her hospital stay a bit better especially since we won't be able to stay with her all day (school starting). Do you have any suggestion on what I should put in there for her? She already has her Protein that she loves. I was thinking about maybe a Water bottle, some socks and pjs.

Let me know what they say. I'm on Eliquis too but I haven't met with my surgeon yet. The research I've done showed that you could still have surgery but they may require you to stop a couple of days before.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The only thing you really need is lip balm. Maybe make a care package of different lip balms.

Yeah, she'll only be there a day or 2....she'll be busy walking!

That is very sweet of you!

While they give you socks, the socks are scratchy and I was very happy I brought myself fluffy socks. Just make sure you get the ones with the grippy things on the bottom or they don't let you wear them because you are a fall risk. Also you can't eat anything while you're in the hospital or for a few weeks, so maybe skip the Protein bars for the hospital care package. So...in a nice little care package I would put.

- Fluffy, grippy socks

-Heating pad (I was freezing, but it also helps to put it under your shoulders to minimize the gas pain

- Chap stick

- Gas-x strips (they didn't have them at the hospital so I was glad I brought my own)

- Power strip (she might want to plug in her phone and the heating pad and there are never any outlets that you cant easily get everything plugged into and reachable)

- Blanket (sounds silly, but their blankets are not thick and it feels really nice to have something with you from home- I still sleep with the blanket I bought for the hospital)

- Bear (ok also sounds dumb, but I read a study that showed when people are emotionally stressed in hospitals, a soft bear minimizes stress, even if it's just tucked under their arm- so yeah, got myself a bear, and he has since been loved to death and is looking a little raggedy. I was not a very good adult, but I was glad I had him)

- Pillow case (she can bring her own pillow or just put it on a hospital one, but ahh, my own soft pillow on my face, so happy I had that)

So...those are the things that I was glad I had and which really you don't NEED, but which make the misery far more tolerable. Of all of those things I was most thankful for my blanket, my pillow, my soft socks, and my heating pad, although the power strip would have been a pain in the butt not to have.

The ones they gave me were soft and fluffy and I still wear them around the house in the winter. I guess it varies like everything else with surgery.

Guest jeanmetz@optonline.net

My sister is having her surgery in September and I want to collect a few things now til then to make her hospital stay a bit better especially since we won't be able to stay with her all day (school starting). Do you have any suggestion on what I should put in there for her? She already has her Protein that she loves. I was thinking about maybe a Water bottle, some socks and pjs.

Let me know what they say. I'm on Eliquis too but I haven't met with my surgeon yet. The research I've done showed that you could still have surgery but they may require you to stop a couple of days before.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Yeah, she'll only be there a day or 2....she'll be busy walking!
I agree. There really isn't too much time there. I have been in the hospital many times. A stuffed animal or Teddy Bear is a great thing! I'll use their stuff then, I don't need to carry all that stuff home. Does anyone know if they give you pain meds after the surgery? Just wondering. .. I have a lot of back and legs issues. My reg. Dr. Says to walk as much as I can to get rid of the gas. Good luck to your sister! You are awful sweet!

@@ecoreen94 How sweet!!! I'm pre-op and just have to say - I would be so touched if my sister did this. @@AvaFern has some great ideas. Maybe add an adult coloring book and colored pencils - she could use that at home too!

That is very sweet of you!

While they give you socks, the socks are scratchy and I was very happy I brought myself fluffy socks. Just make sure you get the ones with the grippy things on the bottom or they don't let you wear them because you are a fall risk. Also you can't eat anything while you're in the hospital or for a few weeks, so maybe skip the Protein Bars for the hospital care package. So...in a nice little care package I would put.

- Fluffy, grippy socks

-Heating pad (I was freezing, but it also helps to put it under your shoulders to minimize the gas pain

- Chap stick

- Gas-x strips (they didn't have them at the hospital so I was glad I brought my own)

- Power strip (she might want to plug in her phone and the heating pad and there are never any outlets that you cant easily get everything plugged into and reachable)

- Blanket (sounds silly, but their blankets are not thick and it feels really nice to have something with you from home- I still sleep with the blanket I bought for the hospital)

- Bear (ok also sounds dumb, but I read a study that showed when people are emotionally stressed in hospitals, a soft bear minimizes stress, even if it's just tucked under their arm- so yeah, got myself a bear, and he has since been loved to death and is looking a little raggedy. I was not a very good adult, but I was glad I had him)

- Pillow case (she can bring her own pillow or just put it on a hospital one, but ahh, my own soft pillow on my face, so happy I had that)

So...those are the things that I was glad I had and which really you don't NEED, but which make the misery far more tolerable. Of all of those things I was most thankful for my blanket, my pillow, my soft socks, and my heating pad, although the power strip would have been a pain in the butt not to have.

Sent from my SM-T320 using the BariatricPal App

Magazines?

Sent from my LGLS740 using the BariatricPal App

Something I enjoyed after I got home was an adult coloring book and colored pencils. I couldn't really use it in the hospital because I was too drugged up....but after I got home it was fun.....

Someone mentioned a relaxing cd to me pre-op. I tucked one in my bag but never played it. My room did have a CD player to gouge so I could have if I wanted to.

One thing I took that I liked was a small spray can of Avene Water. I have also used Evian before on long flights. It is basically just Water you spritz on your face but it feels really good.

Thank you for your advice. I should of specify that it could be for a later use as well. Just kind of like a VSG starter kit. What kind of things do you recommend for the liquid stage since she's doing a 3 week liquid before and after recommended by her surgeon.