Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you surgeon require you to have a sleep study before surgery? I admit I'm terrified at the thought of one (I have severe anxiety) and really really hope I don't have to do one.

I just had mine a week ago. Very easy test. I had the option of having it done in my home vs. going to a hotel, which I was more comfortable with being in my own environment. The reason for the study is they want to make sure you don't stop breathing during surgery. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

They can be done at home? I've always heard of people having to go into the sleep study center place. I could handle it if I'm at home. Maybe. I'm a terrible sleeper and having something attached to me would probably make me stay awake all night.

I just had surgery last year, no problems with breathing but they probably won't take that as proof.

I had mine done at home just last month, so I went in and seen the Dr and my insurance won't pay for an in house test without an at home one done first. So a week later I received a small box with an elastic band that goes just under the boobs. It also has a oxygen censor that plugs into the black box as well as an oxygen tubing that also plugs into the box and u turn in on as you lay down to sleep. The next morning turn it off put in the extra envelope they send u and you mail it back and wait for a call on the results. I didnt even have to go in for a second one cause mine came back as sever sleep apnea

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Kyn13

Mine was required. And if you go to a sleep center, you are right, you won't sleep! lol. But you will doze off enough to have them get results.

I did one as well. Didn't feel like I slept much, but enough to learn I stopped breathing 84 times an hour. I also learned that I rarely get to REM sleep (the restorative kind) for that reason. That explains why I was tired ALL THE TIME. Not only do they not want you to stop breathing during surgery, but over time untreated obstructive sleep apnea can contribute to many serious problems, including premature death. For me, that was enough to endure one night in the sleep center, besides, it's not like I really slept better at home....as evidenced by my sleep report afterwards! Good luck!!!

Sent from my KFASWI using the BariatricPal App

My insurance required one as well,. but fortunately I'd already done one earlier in the year. My doctor had suspected sleep apnea. I did not have sleep apnea.

I spent 7 hours with the lights out, and I'd have guessed I'd slept for 5 of those hours. Apparenty I was only in any stage of sleep for a combined total of 1 hour and 24 minutes. :wacko:

Did you surgeon require you to have a sleep study before surgery? I admit I'm terrified at the thought of one (I have severe anxiety) and really really hope I don't have to do one.

If the home test is positive for apnea -they may require a impatient study to titrate you to the correct settings. I was kind of freaked out about having one but I went to a sleep clinic and the room was setup like a hotel room. Yes - it was weird having wires attached to me but I did sleep. I had to go again for the titration.

I had one before my WLS decision too.

Edited by KristenLe

My dr required it and I did the in home version. Easy peasy

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I've had two studies done in a sleep center. The second time I brought up the Ambien I take when traveling to help me sleep under that stress. They said Demi could take it during the test--helped me sleep and helped them get their readings. You might want to ask about that.

As far as apnea goes--I too had 85 "incidents" per hour when I had my first test years ago. I've been on CPAP about 13 years and never miss a night. It took some getting used too, but now I sleep well and feel so much better! Don't fight it, it's worth it.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Ugh. I already have such a hard time sleeping. I've suffered with sleep troubles my entire life. My psychiatrist said it's related to my anxiety and bipolar. I also can not sleep AT ALL with anything on so I don't anticipate being able to complete a sleep study since they probably need me to actually sleep during it. *sigh* Because of side effects I don't take any sleep aids so no ambien for me. I know I'll have to figure something out, and will talk to the surgeon about my concerns as well since I'm sure he'll order one. My husband has told me that I only snore when I'm sick and horribly congested but that's pretty normal, and he says he's never seen or heard me stop breathing while sleeping, so I'm really not worried about sleep apnea. And I've already had surgery just last year and had no issues with not breathing during the surgery. I get that it may (most likely) be required but it just sucks. Not enough to stop me from pursuing WLS but still... bleh!

My last go around, my surgeon did require one. Its not that bad. You just have to go to a clinic and spend the night with a sleep apnea mask while someone at the clinic monitors you. I think I left the clinic first thing in the morning. I didnt end up having sleep apnea (Thank God!)

Sent from my SM-G925T using the BariatricPal App

With my anxiety there is zero chance I will be able to sleep anywhere other than my own home, unless my husband is with me, and even then it's unlikely. And I freak out when anything is on my face, so no masks while sleeping for me. Not unless they are willing to knock me out first. I'm talking full on panic attack, hyperventilating, etc. Even with my last surgery they left the oxygen mask off my face until I was knocked out.

I really hope they're willing to work with me on this. With my husband's schedule I normally don't go to bed until about 3:30 am, not even tired until then.

Edited by WitchySar

I had to have one, I needed to take a sleeping pill in order to sleep but turns out I have mild apnea. I was required to be on a cpap for 30 days before they would schedule my surgery.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Well I chatted with a friend who had WLS, as well as her husband, and they didn't have to have sleep studies. So hopefully I won't either.