Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hard Boiled Eggs

Does anyone have a way of cooking and easily peeling hard boiled eggs?

I've watched so many different YouTube videos, and no matter what I've tried, I always have a hard time peeling the eggs.

As I was struggling to peel some eggs tonight I thought....hey, my bariatric pal buds will have peeled thousands of eggs!!! What better place to get advice!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have an egg cooker. Part of the directions for using it are to put a pin hole in the shell before cooking. It helps with peeling. I also saw something similar on a cooking show. I'll see if I can find directions online.

I immediately put cold Water in the pot, de-shell the eggs and then put the eggs back in the Water for a few seconds to ensure all of the shell has come off.

Boiling is best reserved for older eggs. When they're too fresh the membranes are very tight and clingy, which makes a clean peel impossible. As they near or exceed their sell by date, the membranes relax and slide off easily.

When I boil mine, I place them in the smallest size saucepan they'll fit in (the less room there is for them to thrash around the less likely they are to crack), add cold Water until its an inch above the eggs, then cover. I set the pan over a burner on high, then immediately remove it from the heat the moment it comes to a boil, setting a timer for 10 minutes. When the timer goes I remove the lid, set the pot in the sink, and run cold Water in it for several minutes. This results in whites that are solid but tender, and yolks that are fully cooked but bright and creamy (rather than crumbly). Perfect, imo.

I buy them already boiled and peeled. Both Kroger and HEB sell them and they don't even stink up the fridge!

I'm with @@cmh but instead of running cold Water on the pot, after 10 minutes, I immediately drain them and put them in an ice Water bath -- a bowl filled with ice and water and let them chill there for a few minutes. The shock of going into the ice bath pulls the white away from the shell. If you do it this way (add cold eggs to cold pot/water) you don't get the nasty green ring, either.

Ditto on the cold/ice Water. Easiest for me is to drain the pot, put it in the sink, dump a bunch of ice on top and then fill with cold Water from the faucet so it becomes an ice bath from the ice on top of the eggs. Easy peel and no green ring.

I also second the not using too fresh eggs. We have chickens and if I use the eggs that are less than a week old they always stick. After a week doesn't seem to make a difference.

This works for me for hard-boiled eggs:

I put my eggs in the pot with a teaspoon of salt and cover them with hot Water from the tap. I cover it and bring it to a rolling boil for a couple of minutes. I turn the heat off and leave it covered. I let it sit for at twenty minutes +-, and then exchange the hot Water for cold water to stop the eggs from cooking any further.

To crack them, I tap both ends of the egg and then roll it against the inside of the pan to break up the rest of the shell. I will peel them under the water in the pot, or under running cold water. It is the same concept as comment #10 where you are effectively creating shell shock to separate the membrane from the egg. Because of the salt, the shell should separate in large pieces and not stubborn little bits.

If the eggs get cold before they are shelled, I put them in a bowl of very hot or boiled water to create the same process of shell shock. Sometimes if I want a warm boiled egg and not a cold one, I plunge it into hot water for a few minutes before I eat it.

If you want to scoop out the middle for deviled eggs, let the peeled whole egg cool down first. It will be much easier to cut and scoop.

large_585dc7d2-ffc4-4f9c-8895-b180303b1eWe get lazy and buy them at Costco!

If you live near trader joe's he sells them cooked and peeled.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein