Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After watching an episode of Ink Master, a tattoo artist complained that because his client had lapband and lost a lot of weight, the skin is now "rubbery" and difficult to get ink in. I have virgin skin and am concerned how difficult my skin would become. My friend with lots of ink thinks he is only half right and is mostly trying to save himself from elimination. Your thoughts and experiences? bmi.png

I am definitely following this topic.

I got a tattoo for my 60th birthday which was 2 years out. Everything went well and I love it!

I had it put on the inside of my ankle, so I don't know it that makes a difference. I would think that trying to put a tattoo on a flabby ribcage, stomach or arms might be a different story.

If you know your tattooist, give him/her a call and let us all know the answer.

:)

I would imagine it would vary from person to person. How much weight you lost, do you have a lot of loose skin or did it tighten up fairly well, what body part you are getting done, etc.

I had 3 tattoos prior to VSG and 1 tattoo after. The after tattoo is under my collar bone and up over onto my shoulder so not a really "rubbery" body part in the first place. It looks great and the tattoo artist had no problems. Actually, I also had an addition put onto the one on my lower back which certainly lost a lot of underlying fat and is a little "looser", but that ink took just fine, too. It hurt worse than when I originally had it done on my fat back, though!

After watching an episode of Ink Master, a tattoo artist complained that because his client had lapband and lost a lot of weight, the skin is now "rubbery" and difficult to get ink in. I have virgin skin and am concerned how difficult my skin would become. My friend with lots of ink thinks he is only half right and is mostly trying to save himself from elimination. Your thoughts and experiences? bmi.png

It's bullshit. My friend did bypass and after dropping probably close to 200 pounds has had no problems continuing with her tattoos. She had before as well.

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

Following. .. getting a tattoo in two weeks!

(Have 2 already but before weight loss)

I don't think it will matter because I think I've decided I'm getting it on my wrist... which I Don't think was really really fat to begin with so probably won't be too loose of skin there

????

Did tattoos for a few years here (and had a shop). I would think that any of the artists that have enough skill to get on the show, should be used to dealing with different types of skin. I can see where if a person had lost a ton of weight and was getting ink on sagging skin it would be extremely difficult but I can't see anyone having that done. I agree with your friend, he was likely trying to make excuses to save himself from elimination.

tattoo for 60th birthday which was 2 years out. I love it! :)

@@Valentina

i did the EXACT same thing!!

GMTA (great minds think alike!!)

in celebration of loosing 105lbs, GOAL, AND turning the big 60!!

i got my first tattoo on my right wrist,

3 small/delicate italic letters of my grand-kids first names

one little red heart under each letter too

M organ A ndrew E than

hubby wasn't thrilled

i promised no more tattoos for another 60 years LOL

6 months after above 1rst tattoo i had the word "survivor" on the outside of right ankle

couple of months later i had a small butterfly on same ankle below survivor!!!

DH still wasn't thrilled - but he is very smart - after all he married me :lol:

reasoning for how 2nd and 3rd tattoo named

i am a proud 17 year breast cancer survivor

my 85 year old mom "lives for butterflies"

she has them all over her apt - she wears butterfly necklaces et al

maybe she even wears a butterfly bra LOL

tattoos are addicting

i'll stop now for another 60 years (maybe ;) )

kathy

It's going to depend on the individual. Skin can stretch and come back, depending on age, number of times its been stretched and how far. I lost 80 pounds when I had the band and while I wasn't firm, I had no hanging skin. After regain, when I lose again, I probably won't have such good luck.

But that guy was a whiner and looking for excuses.

On a side note, I thought that canvas was really brave.

I know I was told by a tattoo artist that I should lose weight before getting any tattoos. :/

living my life like it's healthy

Getting my tattoo in less than an hour - will post results!!

post-264124-14648896166981_thumb.jpg

Don't know why it posted twice but whatevs

It's a Laurel flower and a forget-me-not flower.

My mom passed away unexpectedly 2 months ago and her name was Laurel.

It's on my left wrist.

I think it turned out great - it's just still scabby

Edited by heather5565