Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm in the midst of completing my check list before I get a surgery date. I have 4 out of 8 things accomplished. I was just reading up on what to expect after the surgery and when I start eating again and what worries me is Dumping Syndrome. I have already told myself I will stay completely away from sugary and carbohydrate containing foods, yet I've read some articles that Dumping Syndrome can happen even if you stay away from these things. How often in eating small portions of healthy food, does someone suffer from Dumping Syndrome.
How do I drink 64 ounces of Water and take in 80 grams of Protein in one day without experiencing this?

I am 19 months post op, I eat everything and have never once experienced dumping.

Same as ae... 7 months post gastric bypass and no dumping. bread still causes me slight discomfort, but that's about it. Unsure what you mean by carb containing foods, but don't avoid fresh fruits when you get to that stage. The Fiber and nutrients are great for you.

I'm 14 months put and I suffer from severe dumping syndrome. From sugar, meat, chicken, fish, scrambled eggs, Pasta, bread, white rice, I'm very restricted on what I am eat. Positive thing is I lost 105 lbs, I even went underweight, now I'm working out and getting some weight. I'm hungry after work out but I can't eat all that I wish. So my tool is working. And I'm grateful for it. I didn't have a surgery to fail another diet. Do I get sad about my eating, yes I do. But then I look before and after and say; Yeah!!!!!!!

I am 4 weeks 2 days post up. I do get dumping, but when the food is either to sugary or too greasy. Sometimes I feel like eating more of the food although I feel fool, but even if I already have that last bite inside my mouth I spit it out because it just won't go down. If I over eat I will start to trow up. I love all this because I remember that all this can happen if I don't follow the instructions so I avoid eating what i'm not suppose to and over eating.

As far as frequently eating and drinking fluids, I have 2-3 meals and a Protein shake at the end of the day with that I complete almost 600 calories a day. Fluids I usually fill up a 8oz cup and sip sip sip until its gone. This I do 8-9 times a day 30-60 minutes before or after meals.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm at 4 wks 3 days and I had dumping once. It was from puréed chili that was fine to eat the night before. I didn't think I had much but the doctor said I could have taken one bite too many. I'm pretty sure the dumping thing is individual for different people. You just have to eat new foods slowly so if can stop at the first sign of feeling ill.

Yeah but how slow is slow enough? I read that it should only take 20 to 30 minutes to finish a meal in my nutritional handbook.

Hey!

So I've experienced dumping only when I'm ingesting things too fast. It happens more with sweet things of course. Honestly though, your tastes will change so much. I don't like sweet things like I used to, and I LOVED that stuff. Don't worry too much about the sweets though. Just eat and drink things very slowly and eat right for your body. It can feel silly with shakes and stuff like that, but just let your body get used to eating again.

Best of luck!!!

I am 7 weeks out and haven't had the Dumping...yet. Maybe never will. Not everyone has it, so you may one of the lucky! Just follow what your doctor tells you to do! Don't eat sweets before Protein etc.

Worst thing I ever dumped on was a BANANA!!! It's not predictable who will get it when and/or with what. You just learn as you go along.

Yeah but how slow is slow enough? I read that it should only take 20 to 30 minutes to finish a meal in my nutritional handbook.

My doctor said to aim for one bite per minute.

My doctor said to aim for one bite per minute.

Great!!! Thank you so much! I was really wondering about that! Thanks!

Autumn, it is a challenge and I only manage to do this for dinner, as Breakfast and lunch is just to hectic and I don't usually have 30 minutes. It does work though, you stay full longer.

OK great! I'm going to try that! Thank you!

I have pretty intense dumping symptoms at 10 months out. Keep in mind, it doesnt matter if you're eating small amounts of healthy food-- merely eating too quickly can make me dump, or not chewing well enough. Sugar alcohols in sugar free items make me dump, and taking one bite too many can make me dump. It's a learning process. I prepared the same way, still got dumping syndrome, while others never claim to experience it. My Mom had RNY too, and she eats all the foods we're told not too: candy, Pasta and bread, and never dumps. Meanwhile, I'm following the rules to a "T" and dump fairly often.