Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! My fiancé is getting sleeved in 6 days and I'm doing a bunch of reading and researching on Post-op food.

I understand that it can be a really long time before he's able to eat vegetables.

But about how long, in your experience?

Any tips on veggie prep when that day comes? The Dr's said only cooked veg at first, but what's good?

The doctor put him on a lean and green diet as part of his pre-op, and we've stuck pretty closely to it, so closely that at this point I couldn't imagine preparing much else.

Thanks, in advance, for the insight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

It's not so much that veggies are bad for you (once you are ok'd for that texture), it's just that there's no room for them after you reach your Protein goal for each meal at first. Eventually, you can incorporate a few bites of veggies as tolerated. I haven't had any issues with any veggies, but you'll have to see how he does. Well cooked, non stringy veggies work best at first.

The veggies I added in were asparagus, broccoli, squash (zucchini & yellow squash), eggplant, spinach, and green Beans. All very well cooked and soft. The trick is to keep the amounts very small -- Protein needs to be the primary focus post-op. I was under orders to stay away from high carb veggies such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, and peas. Also no grains so corn is out too.

Avocado is a great source of Fiber and healthy fats -- you need to watch the amounts, of course, since it is so high calorie. That was one of the first non-protein items in my post-op diet. It's technically a fruit though :)

Not sure what a "long time" is. I made it a point to incorporate veggies into my diet ASAP. I was eating mushy well cooked veggies like cauliflower, carrots, green Beans, and spinach starting in my soft food phase, about six weeks postoperative. I added unflavored Protein powder to mashed potatoes and sweet potatos in my pureed stage. But Like DaisyAmy said, you can't fit in much after trying to meet Protein goals. This is one of the other reasons I kept using Protein shakes even now, two years post. By getting a big chunk of my protein in liquid form, that left me with more tummy space to eat fruit, veggies and whole grains. I feel a balanced diet is important.

I was eating raw cauliflower, carrots, broccoli, cucumbers, green Beans, etc as a regular snack by 3 months out. The only veggies I kind of stay away from are corn, peas, and potatoes.

Not sure what a "long time" is. I made it a point to incorporate veggies into my diet ASAP. I was eating mushy well cooked veggies like cauliflower, carrots, green Beans, and spinach starting in my soft food phase, about six weeks postoperative. I added unflavored Protein powder to mashed potatoes and sweet potatos in my pureed stage. But Like DaisyAmy said, you can't fit in much after trying to meet Protein goals. This is one of the other reasons I kept using protein shakes even now, two years post. By getting a big chunk of my protein in liquid form, that left me with more tummy space to eat fruit, veggies and whole grains. I feel a balanced diet is important.

I was eating raw cauliflower, carrots, broccoli, cucumbers, green Beans, etc as a regular snack by 3 months out. The only veggies I kind of stay away from are corn, peas, and potatoes.

I really thought raw veggies would need to wait longer. Of course it's different for everyone, but 3 months sling so bad. Thanks very much.

If the Protein Powder that you add to cauliflower flavorless? I'm having a hard time envisioning it.

I drank V8 occasionally as soon as my full liquid stage.

I started soft vegetables, like green beans with my soft stage.

V8 sounds genius, I didn't think of that! Have you ever used it in purees?

The veggies I added in were asparagus, broccoli, squash (zucchini & yellow squash), eggplant, spinach, and green Beans. All very well cooked and soft. The trick is to keep the amounts very small -- Protein needs to be the primary focus post-op. I was under orders to stay away from high carb veggies such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, and peas. Also no grains so corn is out too.

Avocado is a great source of fiber and healthy fats -- you need to watch the amounts, of course, since it is so high calorie. That was one of the first non-protein items in my post-op diet. It's technically a fruit though :)

I've got a tuna/avocado puree planned, so I'm hoping that sits ok with him. Love squash; any suggestions on what I could pair it with meat-wise for the soft food stage?

Oh yeah, I forgot I drank lots of V8!

My surgeon OKd raw veggies, nuts and seeds at 3 months but you should double check with your surgeon.

Yes, I added unflavored Protein powder to everything. I would add a bit of Water and make a slurry first then stir that into mashed veggies and Soup. I still do that when I make casseroles, pancakes, Soup, baked goods, etc.

My plan said I could introduced peeled and pureed veggies in my pureed stage, but only after Protein. I never did, because the amounts of food I could eat in my pureed stage were microscopic, so I had no "extra" room for veggies. The plan does say to specifically avoid fibrous veggies like celery and any fruits or veggies with skins.

In the soft food phase I was allowed steamed veggies. But again, I never had any, except refried Beans.

I was not allowed any crunchy foods until 3 months post op and the list of foods to avoid in that category included raw carrots and celery.

I have never been able to resume eating raw veggies. They make me incredibly and uncomfortably burpy. I do fine with cooked veggies, but rarely eat them. Putting Protein first just doesn't leave a whole lot of room. So I take my Vitamins religiously and all my labs are fine. But not a lot of veggies for me!

I hate cooked, and especially hate over cookee vegs. I like mine very crsip, i waited until cleared for salads to add in veggies. With the exception of cauliflower, i just barely cook my veggies. Texture is very important to me food.< /p>

One thing you can do from the full liquid stage on is soupe aux legumes - French housewife's vegetable Soup. This makes a delicious first course or snack for you, add unflavored Protein powder for him. Nothing could be simpler, just heat up some chicken or vegetable broth and add roughly chopped veggies as you like. Some aromatics, some zucchini & green Beans, a can of tomatoes, spinach/kale/chard, even that lettuce from the vegetable drawer that looks tired. Bits and bobs from the freezer. Simmer til the veggies are very soft, then puree with a stick blender. Season with salt & pepper. I add a tablespoon or two of pesto per batch as an easy seasoning. I had some of this yesteday cause I was hungry when I came home from work yesterday but still had to prep dinner. I added a teaspoon (honest, I measured) of cream drizzled over it. It was delicious! Add more or less broth to thin it if you need to. I think a teensy dash of sherry would be nice, too. Or Sriracha. Or a bit of grated cheese.

We have a big container of this is the fridge right now, I'm playing with things preop.

Edited by 2goldengirl

Not sure what a "long time" is. I made it a point to incorporate veggies into my diet ASAP. I was eating mushy well cooked veggies like cauliflower, carrots, green Beans, and spinach starting in my soft food phase, about six weeks postoperative. I added unflavored Protein powder to mashed potatoes and sweet potatos in my pureed stage. But Like DaisyAmy said, you can't fit in much after trying to meet Protein goals. This is one of the other reasons I kept using Protein shakes even now, two years post. By getting a big chunk of my protein in liquid form, that left me with more tummy space to eat fruit, veggies and whole grains. I feel a balanced diet is important.

I really thought raw veggies would need to wait longer. Of course it's different for everyone, but 3 months sling so bad. Thanks very much.

If the Protein Powder that you add to cauliflower flavorless? I'm having a hard time envisioning it.

I started soft vegetables, like green beans with my soft stage.

V8 sounds genius, I didn't think of that! Have you ever used it in purees?

I haven't because I didn't have a purée stage, but I am sure you can.

If interested, please search for and join "WLS Vegetarians" on FB! :)

I am a vegetarian. Therefore I get the most of my Protein from plant sources. So the idea that one has to eat the Protein first and then the vegetables is not true. If you make a dish with high protein grains and vegetables and add a meat to it that seems to me to be a protein powerhouse meal. I mean a 1/4 cup of roasted edamame has 12 grams of protein. Think about it. I am not trying to convince you to for go all meat, but if you were to pair a meat with a high protein you should be okay. I mean if I were to eat my protein first and then my vegetables I would have a problem. I purchased a high protein cookbook so that after surgery every meal would be plant based in high in protein.

I am a vegetarian. Therefore I get the most of my Protein from plant sources. So the idea that one has to eat the Protein first and then the vegetables is not true. If you make a dish with high protein grains and vegetables and add a meat to it that seems to me to be a protein powerhouse meal. I mean a 1/4 cup of roasted edamame has 12 grams of protein. Think about it. I am not trying to convince you to for go all meat, but if you were to pair a meat with a high protein you should be okay. I mean if I were to eat my protein first and then my vegetables I would have a problem. I purchased a high protein cookbook so that after surgery every meal would be plant based in high in protein.

Hey that's interesting, hadn't thought of veg really as a source of enough protien, save Beans ans legumes. We like edamame and I was thinking of making an edamame hummus for Fiance's puree stage. What's the name of the cookbook you mentioned?