Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doubts are more about whether or not doing something so extreme to my body is going to be worth it! I do believe this is the best weight loss option for me considering my medical issues. I'm just nervous about altering my body in such a drastic way. Does anyone else have these feelings?

I suppose most of us had those thoughts when we were pre-op.

i can tell you from the other side that it was worth everything. I would do it again every year if I had to - and I should have done it 10 years ago!

The most common regret I've seen is not doing it sooner.

I had the same thoughts about radically changing my body, but then I thought well in the past I had 2 Cesareans, and my appendix taken out when I was a kid....and I thought if I ever needed a hysterectomy I would have one (I haven't had the need for 1 yet).

I decided I already had surgical intervention in my past so why not have surgery to get rid of the excess weight I've been fighting most of my life.

I'm only a newbie post op.... only 10 days in it......I've already lost approx 10 pounds post op....so pretty happy so far.

It is so so worth it. It's not just the weight loss either. I've lost so much weight over the years. That part is very doable without surgery. It's the keeping it off that I could never conquer. And to slowly watch yourself gain back that weight you'd worked so hard to shed is utterly soul crushing.

I'm six months out from my bypass and only 16 pounds from my goal. What makes this weight loss so different is knowing I can really do this long term. My personal demon was that I was always hungry. No matter how much I ate, or how full I got, half an hour later I was starving again. That's all changed.

I still have hunger on occasion but it's nowhere near the monster it used to be. It's like a tiny little tap, opposed to getting hit with a sledge hammer. You can ignore a tap, but a sledge hammer won't be denied. Now I find myself constantly thinking that this must be what a normal sized person's hunger feels like. It's so controllable it's almost surreal.

I've given up bread, soda, sweets, fast food, rice and more. The further out I get the less I crave it anymore. I could have never done that on my own. I also exercise daily. I'm 54 years old and this is the first time in my life that I'm in charge of my body, and it's finally working with me. I love eating healthy. I never used to drink Water and now it's all I drink. I feel at least 20 years younger and my health is perfect.

I would do this over again without question. As cliche as it sounds by now, this is the best thing I've ever done for myself. I was lucky enough to have no complications and an easy recovery. But with everything I've received in return, even if there had been some bumps in the road, I'm pretty sure I'd still say I'd do it again.

We all have to take a leap of faith going into surgery. There's no getting around it. But the way I was existing before wasn't really a life at all. It was more like waiting to die. It was for me anyway. Now I feel reborn!

Best of luck to you on your journey. I hope you end up just as satisfied as I certainly am!

My doubts are more about whether or not doing something so extreme to my body is going to be worth it! I do believe this is the best weight loss option for me considering my medical issues. I'm just nervous about altering my body in such a drastic way. Does anyone else have these feelings?

The only person that can answer this....is you. You know your medical hx and/or problems.

Think about it this way: your body is ALREADY altered from what it's supposed to be. You are carrying too much weight and that complicates a myriad of conditions/symptoms. It comes down to a risk/benefit scenario that only you can decide to be worthy.

A common theme found here is apprehensions pre-op. However, as people tell their story you will see how those apprehensions were overcome.

The only person that can answer this....is you. You know your medical hx and/or problems.

Think about it this way: your body is ALREADY altered from what it's supposed to be. You are carrying too much weight and that complicates a myriad of conditions/symptoms. It comes down to a risk/benefit scenario that only you can decide to be worthy.

A common theme found here is apprehensions pre-op. However, as people tell their story you will see how those apprehensions were overcome.

Wow...loved this! You are completely right, thank you!

Thank you to everyone. This has certainly encouraged me! Love this app!

It took me a very long time to come to the decision to get the surgery. I said for many years of going up and down and then up even more in my weight. At this point I need drastic. I believe it is only natural to feel the way you do. I feel the same way but definitely looking forward to this life changing experience.

What about snacking. For those who are post op RNY, do you find the you do snack or not at all? Also, when I say snack, I am referring to healthy choices such as raw almonds, apples with Peanut Butter, low fat yogurt? Etc....

@@ForeverHealthy

First I will say having this surgery is the best thing that ever happened to me. My only regret is that I did not do it many years ago.

I am 16 months post op, down 139lbs with 6lbs left to go until my ideal weight. I went from a BMI over 40 to 24.5. I had numerous comorbitities like type 2 diabetes, severe Gerd, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, anemia, sleep apnea and stage 3 kidney disease.

I will say, I waited too long and did serious damage to my spine as well as other joints. Waiting too long is my only regret.

The answer to your question about snacking is yes I do. I am very restricted so in order for me to get all my Protein and veggies in, I have to have 1 or 2 small healthy Snacks a day. I track everything I eat throughout the day to ensure I am within my Protein goals. I think the moment it takes me to track is the reason I have been able to be so successful in losing my weight. I intend to continue that habit because I want to maintain my new healthier body.

Best of luck to you!

It is TOTALLY worth it! When I was in my 20's I looked into gastric bypass and got scared because of the whole rerouting of pipes and the things I was going to have to give up. I didn't have any real support and I knew it would be hard and I bailed. Fast forward to my 30's and my weight became crippling. My knees are shot, my back was in constant pain, I could no longer walk across the house without being winded, and at night I was suffocating from the extra weight. I would literally wake up gasping for air and a severe headache from the extra weight crushing me. I was dying! If I hadn't done it, I would be dead in the next few years. I'm 3 months post op, now and I've already lost 60lbs since surgery and over 100lbs since I started this journey on my supervised weightloss. My knees will still need repairing and I may have a back surgery in my future from carrying around over 400lbs on my frame for so long, but I can do so much more! I walk daily and exercise and can go places I couldn't for years because of my weight. I'm actually enjoying life for the first time in about 10yrs. I wish I had done this years ago when I first had the chance. I look at all these years I wasted getting no where and just making my kids and my husband and myself just miserable and I really wish to God I could go back in time and smack myself around and get the life I deserved earlier.