Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair loss...does it ever come back?

Hello all! :)

I am in the beginning stages of my journey (patiently waiting for my insurance to approve my surgery...the torture,,,LOL)

In the meantime I'm researching everything. I see most people say they lose hair at the 3-6 month mark. I know most suggest to load up on Biotin and getting plenty of Protein.

But my question is: Does your hair ever go back to its state prior to surgery?

Can I expect to ever have a full head of thick hair again?

Morning :)

I am 3 years post op VSG and after the first 3 months my hair began to fall out. By 4 months I had to use powders to cover up bald spots and finally by 6 mo decided to wear wigs from time to time because so many people were commenting about how thin my hair was ( not that is was their business! Lol) at 8 mo it slowed down and by 10 it started re growing. I now have all my hair back its so thick and I love that it went back to completely normal! I drank my Vitamins including a Biotin capsule (not tablet at the tablets to your Shampoo and conditioner ) but drink the actual capsules and that im telling you helped me so much with growth. I buy the capsules from Walmart not expensive at all and so worth it. Ps im a pharmacist any other questions about Vitamins or meds im happy to help!

Instagram: smallbird_vsg

Yikes, we can expect to possibly lose that much hair? ! Were you taking the Biotin before it started to fall out, or only once it started to fall out?

Morning :)

I am 3 years post op VSG and after the first 3 months my hair began to fall out. By 4 months I had to use powders to cover up bald spots and finally by 6 mo decided to wear wigs from time to time because so many people were commenting about how thin my hair was ( not that is was their business! Lol) at 8 mo it slowed down and by 10 it started re growing. I now have all my hair back its so thick and I love that it went back to completely normal! I drank my Vitamins including a biotin capsule (not tablet at the tablets to your Shampoo and conditioner ) but drink the actual capsules and that im telling you helped me so much with growth. I buy the capsules from Walmart not expensive at all and so worth it. Ps im a pharmacist any other questions about vitamins or meds im happy to help!

Instagram: smallbird_vsg

I lost hair but I had so much it wasn't too noticed except for my drain! It 8fully back and just wasn't a big problem.

@@smallbird thanks so much for the advice!

Its nice to know it does come back. I realize everyone is different and all our journeys are unique but its nice to know we can take proactive measures. I will definitely be stocking up on the Biotin capsules!

Do you think it will benefit any if I start taking it now?

Again thank you! ????

I only lost hair from about 3.5 months post-op to 5 months post-op and it immediately started growing back. I am almost 17 months post-op now and the new growth is about 4 inches long.

Biotin won't prevent Hair loss -- neither will Protein -- though it may help re-grow new hair faster. My surgeon told me not to waste my money on biotin and I wish I had listened! It did nothing to help and neither did getting 75+ grams of protein starting the day after surgery (and eating high protein before surgery, too). Well, it "helped" if you consider extra hair growing on your eyebrows, chin, basically everywhere below the waist "helping." Not exactly what I had in mind!

Correct it wont prevent it from falling out, however they do help with regrowth and how healthy it will grow back. I started taking Biotin 2 weeks before my surgery

@@Bufflehead

Thanks for clarifying...never really thought about regrowth in other (unwanted) areas...eeek!

Yah - not cute! ???? whats a girl to do?!?! LOL.

Correct it wont prevent it from falling out, however they do help with regrowth and how healthy it will grow back. I started taking Biotin 2 weeks before my surgery

@@smallbird Thanks for the advice ????

There are three major contributing factors to hair loss post-WLS.

First is anesthesia, which is know to cause Telogen Effluvium (a large number of hair follicles simultaneously switch from the anagen (growing) phase into the telogen (resting) phase).

Second is vitamin/mineral deficiency. Obviously, in the first few weeks (even months) post-op, we aren't getting all of the nutrients we need because of our extremely restricted diets. Getting as much Protein as possible and taking your Vitamins can help stave this off a bit.

Finally, rapid weight loss. Hair loss is often associated with rapid weight loss, no matter how the weight loss is achieved, be it through surgery or some sort of diet/exercise plan.

I think the reasons my hair loss was relatively minor was that I did very well meeting my Protein and Vitamin goals right out of the gate and I lost weight pretty slowly (compared to a lot of people on this site at least). So the main perpetrator in my hair loss was the anesthesia and telogen effluvium. That's why it began to regrow almost immediately.

I'm 6 months and mine is starting to slow down. Now I'm waiting for it to starting growing back.

@@JamieLogical

Thanks for explaining the effects of anesthesia and rapid weightloss and its impact on our lovely locks/hair.

Edited by Jengarcia055

I did lose some but not so much that it was noticeable when it happened. When I noticed it was when it started coming back and I found a million short pieces falling out of my pony tail! Thing I did... Followed post-op Vitamin and Protein instructions, took Biotin and attempted to feed myself as much as my weight loss would bear, (1000-1200 cal per day) with exercise. Same as the folks who lose a lot of hair, I suppose. Personally, other than staying properly nourished, I don't think there's a lot you can do. It's a response to trauma and some bodies handle it better than others. It DOES come back. Just part of the deal.

The whole hair loss issue puzzles me. I've cared for postop patients for more than 30 years, including folks on long-term tube feeding for various reasons. And they didn't experience Hair loss (save for the folks getting chemo)

So hair loss can't be because of the stress of surgery - lots of surgeries are much more stressful for the body, but don't lead to hair loss.

It can't be the Protein - even for folks who have trouble getting it in for the first week or two.

I'm baffled.

Edited by 2goldengirl