Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some of my clothes are getting to big for me...yippee. :)

I am struggling however about if I should get rid of my clothes or hold onto them. My plan is not to ever get into a size 24 again, but I've said that before. In fact, over the last 4 years I have lost weight twice , gave my size 24's away just to find I gained it back and there I was shopping for my size 24's. Is this going to be any different? Has anyone else felt the same way?

Your question comes up all the time, about as often as Sunday brunch. The consensus is "Get rid of them." My take on it is that keeping too-large clothes is tantamount to giving myself permission to regain weight.

Suggestion: See about arranging periodic clothing exchanges in conjunction with your practice's support group meeting. Otherwise, donate the good things to a non-profit that outfits underprivileged women who are entering the workforce (similar to Bottomless Closet in Manhattan). You may have an organization of any type that takes clothing donations.

I would keep one garment, a lot of folks choose a pair of pants or jeans, that fit you at your heaviest. Keep those as a yardstick for the days when you feel you haven't made progress (we all have them). Then when you're at goal you can take photos of you fitting into one leg.

Edited by 2goldengirl

I too have lost weight, given away the clothes and then regretted it when I had to rebuy the fat clothes. This time I feel differently. I am giving away anything that doesn't fit or I don't like. I am keeping 1 pair of pants as a reminder. I did not do this surgery to even entertain the idea of regaining the weight. I am over diet pills, diet books, diet gurus, home delivered diet food that tastes like crap. I am over it. I feel if I keep the old clothes I would be clinging to my old unhappy self. I am down 2 sizes in 2 months and it is only the beginning. My drawers are sorted by clothes I can wear now, the next size down and then clothes from my previous thinner life. It has been fun shopping in the back of my closet and reacquainting myself with my thinner clothing.

I was telling my wife today we have to go clothes shopping this weekend. I've gone from 5XL to 4XL clothes and now the 4's are hanging off me...

Give them away. You need room for your new smaller clothes anyway. I kept one pair of size 22W pants. I'm wearing a 14 now. It feels good to get rid of them. I donated buckets of clothes to goodwill that were in good condition. Hopefully someone else can use them now.

I too had a hard time because of the little fear in the back of my head but as I was looking in the mirror in clothes that were now three sizes too big and literally falling off of me I made the choice to get rid of anything that was too big and everything that didn't make me feel good about myself when wearing it. I had to go buy all new pants and many new tops because almost everything I had needed to go. While it was a bit of a scary feeling at first I am now loving it!

I have gotten ridden of so many clothes already.

Be positive that you will never be that size again!

Purge!

Give them away. This is different. You aren't dieting anymore. You've made a complete lifestyle change and you'll be a fabulous success!!

Give them away but keep a pair of pants and a shirt. About once a month I try them on OVER my current clothes and I don't have to unbutton anything anymore. It's the most awesome feeling and it will make you feel great on the worst day.

@@bigbit same shoes here(5x to 2-3 x). i have a closet full of a range of weights/sizes but still need a few items. bought a great black sports coat on e bay for $26, including shipping! why spend more, i'll only be able to wear it 3-ish months. stuff that is too big goes to the thrift store, pretty quickly.

I think many of us struggle with this due to past experiences of regaining the weight. We recently moved cross country so I used it as a reason why I needed to get rid of my too big clothes. I did however keep one pair of my favorite work slacks in size 18 (that were becoming too small when I had surgery), a size 2xl blouse, my favorite size 18 dress that at that time was too small to fit, and a pair of size 18 shorts that I fit into along my downsizing journey. I was scared to part with my clothes as I'd had many for years and were made well. It was easier to keep a few items that I don't want to fit into again while parting with the rest. Plus by giving them to two of my girl friends they got new additions to their wardrobes :)

Definitely give them away! I can't wait until I am in a position to gut my wardrobe!