Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is WRONG with me?

Before I started this new thread, I searched, in vain- using the words, "Emotional"--Nothing. "Tearful"---again, Nothing...Lastly, I entered, "Crying"---No replies. Not one single thread indicating that anyone else on bariatricpal.com was a basketcase....but for me.

I had my surgery 11/15/2015...I'm 2 weeks post-op today, as I'm writing this thread.

Today, I went grocery shopping with my son...and stopped by the pharmacy @ the grocery store to convey my sincere thanks to them...On the day I was released from the hospital, I had to present with my narcotic prescription in-person...but they didn't have the liquid Oxycodone---but the pharmacist on duty was so nice - and he called it in to another pharmacy in town...All I wanted to do was thank them.

Instead, I started crying in Safeway...and my son had to finish the conversation for me.

I'm crying now.

Someone...anyone...What in the world is going on w/ me?

Earlier today, I got the nicest text message from the Director of Nurses where I work as an agency nurse...She messaged me that everyone @ work was wanting to know if I was ok...told me that the nursing team and all the other peeps missed me & they wanted me back @ work ASAP...

I sent an elated reply....and cried.

I'm at a loss...and really...SERIOUSLY...wanting the tears to stop.

On an up-note, it is so very nice to be eating some actual food today....pureed-mush or not, I've enjoyed the most resplendent scrambled egg today...it was almost a "Meg Ryan moment"....LOL

When you do the search, be sure to use the drop-down arrow next to the search box and change the "search section" from THIS TOPIC to FORUMS. I just did a quick test search using "emotional" and searching the forums and I got a ton of hits.

Anyway, many, many people experience raging emotions after surgery, usually because of hormone dumping. Your body is emptying out fat cells to access the energy inside -- but your body also stores hormones in fat cells. They flood into your blood stream and can make you into a weepy, emotional basketcase, or a rampaging ragebeast, or anything in between. Add into that the stress of surgery and of not having our typical, tried and true way of dealing with problems and stress (self-medicating with food) and of course most of us end up with all sorts of emotional upheaval.

Be gentle with yourself, don't make any huge decisions in the next few months, and keep going. In the vast majority of cases, it sorts itself out pretty quickly.

Ahhhh, I remember my first scrambled egg after surgery - delicious! I was also thrilled to eat cottage cheese too. As for the tears, I didn't do any crying but I wouldn't worry, maybe it's a hormone thing (lots of stored hormones in that fat), or a reaction to the anesthesia. It's all gonna be okay. ????????????

Yep, totally normal! I was weepy for a couple of days after surgery then I was grumpy. Not angry per se, just persistently grumpy and TIRED!!!!!!! Once I started eating solid foods, I felt MUCH better. Compound all of this with going back to work 6 days after surgery (in March during spring break) and I was a mess! Thank goodness I teach and had some down time once summer hit.

Edited by akreese02

Well, hey, if you gotta cry - better for it to be brought on by nice things, than by crap things :)

Thanks to everyone that replied above--and gave the reassurance I was looking for and needing.

Sorry I wasn't totally savvy in doing a site-wide search for topics/ threads... VERY glad to know that there are "loads of other threads" related to crying jags and emotional upheavals..At least I know I'm on course with recovery ;)

Totally otally normal! Been there, done that! I haven't had WLS surgery yet but I had a knee replacement last year and was on oxycodone. I cried-a lot! My sister gave me a pretty mundane Christmas gift, a coffee maker, and I started blubbering with thanks. A very emotional time. I was also continually sending very introspective texts and notes to my loved ones. I think they thought I was nuts!

Oh sweetheart I am very empathetic for you. This surgery is HARD!! It's emotional on so many levels.

It's the awareness that gets you after that you've made a huge change and its permanent. You've changed your body and your life. Your way of life!

It's giving up food as a coping mechanism. That is so hard. And after surgery your so tired and weak and you just have nothing to do, so that's a time one would want to eat! It's a rough transition.

Also your on opiates for a few and those mess with emotions. And physically exhausted and food deprived!! Hormones go crazy. Your body is having withdrawals from sugar.

My advice is to take some really deep breathes. Take a hot bath, call friends, cry. Let yourself cry all you want.

You've done a wonderful thing for yourself. Most people who have this surgery go through some emotional upheaval both right after and throughout the process. I promise you I did!!! I've been a wreck MANY times this year.

You're not alone and this will pass. Hang in there and get some much needed rest. We are here for you in BP whenever you need to talk.

Edited by bellabloom

I am at the stage you are. I had my surgery on Nov 16th. I have done really well so far but the worst part for me is the freek'n emotional Ferris wheel. I am a walking 3 ring circus. As I write, I am anxious (don't have a reason to be) annoyed (husband snoring next to me) and tearful (just saw an SPCA commercial with lots of wide eyed puppies). I've read that this whole carnival we are experiencing is not uncommon for some. So take it in stride, write In a journal, support groups and the forums are wonderful, so are relaxation techniques....but what ever you do....don't lose your sense of humor!

@@karen091866 please don't apologize for not figuring out the search function . . . I love this site but that particular feature is extremely poorly designed! It took me a long time to figure it out and a significant portion of my job involves searching for information online!

Oh I think that is totally normal! In fact I remember posting about it too! :-) I was SO emotional the first few weeks after surgery. I remember being really surprised by it. I would cry at the drop of a hat. I think in retrospect it was a lot of things combined....... my body adjusting to this shock it just went through, me going through sugar/carb/caffeine withdraw all at once, and at least subconsciously dealing with the realization that my go-to coping mechanism (eating my feelings away) was gone. It's a lot to adjust to! Give yourself some time.