Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3weeks Post-Op Help!

Sooo I'm having a hard time finding the right Protein Shake for me. I thought I was all set before the Surgery, but the shakes I picked out doesn't have enough grams of Protein for one, and the thought of drinking them is sickening. I'm a little lost!!!!..so I came up with something I'm not too sure of, knowing I like the Crystal Light drinks, will it cause harm if I put the unflavored Protein Powder in the Crystal Light drinks? Because I've tried the unflavored protein mix alone and it was horrid. So I'm wondering am I doing any harm by mixing my Protein powder and Crystal Light together??????

Protein 02 is Water that has 15 grams of protein. I also eat Dannon Greek yogurt that is 12 grams of protein and only 80 calories. Their is also milk made by Fair Life that has protein in it. You can also purchase whey Protein Shots from Walmart or bariactric pal that will give you 42 grams of protein and are only 3.8 ounces. They taste better cold!

Perfectly acceptable.

Have you tried Premier Protein? They are ready made shakes and do not have that gritty texture or nasty aftertaste.

Each shake has 30 grams of Protein and only 1 gram of sugar with 160 calories. In the first few weeks after surgery I had to add milk to them just to thin them out a little but honestly they taste pretty darn good.

Sooo I'm having a hard time finding the right Protein Shake for me. I thought I was all set before the Surgery, but the shakes I picked out doesn't have enough grams of Protein for one, and the thought of drinking them is sickening. I'm a little lost!!!!..so I came up with something I'm not too sure of, knowing I like the Crystal Light drinks, will it cause harm if I put the unflavored Protein powder in the Crystal Light drinks? Because I've tried the unflavored protein mix alone and it was horrid. So I'm wondering am I doing any harm by mixing my Protein Powder and Crystal Light together??????

According to the information from my nutritionist, it should be perfectly ok to add the unflavored protein to your Crystal Light.

@@Fiqah87 Personally I use Fairlife milk and powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chocolate Protein shake. I use 54 grams (two servings) and with 10 oz of the milk and the powder I wind up with 59.1g of medical grade Protein that tastes like chocolate milk. It is absolutely wonderful. Certainly worth a try.

@@Fiqah87 Personally I use Fairlife milk and unjury chocolate Protein shake. I use 54 grams (two servings) and with 10 oz of the milk and the powder I wind up with 59.1g of medical grade Protein that tastes like chocolate milk. It is absolutely wonderful. Certainly worth a try.

I was told that the body couldn't use more than 25G of protein at a time. Is that not accurate? @@winklie, how long does it take you to drink your protein?

@ReneK I sip it over the morning, I'll have a cup or two of coffee and this shake constitute my Breakfast. I usually wind up in the 120-140g of Protein range daily, so I don't worry too much about it.

The exception is if I am going for my walk after my shake, I do 7.5 miles and the body uses everything available to keep up that energy burn, 7.5 miles at my pace burns 1900 calories. The carbs go first, then the body has plenty of Protein to add muscle mass. As for the 25 gram thing, it depends on a ton of factors, the size of your anastomosis the length of your roux limb (if you had a bypass, which I see you did) and how well your illieum is at absorbing protein. That and personal metabolism. My NUT is thrilled with my routine, and never mentioned anything about a 25g limit.

Hope this helps. It's best to talk to your Surgeon or NUT about an issue like this, as I said, there are a lot of things that affect how you absorb things and at what rate.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it..I've tried it and it wasn't too pleasing.. Although I'm a finicky eater..I'll find the right taste one of these days lol thanks again!!!, ☺????

@@winklie What is "fairlife milk?"

@@bugsy72

FairLife milk is a milk product produced by cows and filtered in a new and unique way that cuts the carbs in 1/2 and nearly doubles the Protein and also cuts down on the fat (if you use Whole Milk). It tastes just like regular milk only creamier, The Skim to me tastes like 2% milk and the whole milk is more creamy than regular whole milk, but not quite as creamy as 1/2 and 1/2 or cream.

It is sold nationwide, Coke bought the distribution rights when the company was having trouble, it's everywhere now. Caution it's expensive, I pay $3.89 for 1.5 liters, thats 52 oz or less than a 1/2 gallon. But to cut that many carbs, and add that much Protein, it's worth every penny.

Oh and one other thing, it usually has an expiration date about 2 months from when you get it, at least a month. I bought some the day before thanksgiving and it expires January 20th, 2016.

I'm not sure how great unflavored Protein powder would be with Crystal Light (and you've indicated it was NOT great), but I mix some of the Syntrax Protein powders with Crystal Light all the time. They have a lot of fruity ones - plus a Lemon Ice Tea flavored one that I mix with Crystal Light Lemonade. A lot of people mix the fruity ones with either CL lemonade or a matching flavored CL (e.g., cherry Protein Powder with cherry CL). My favorite Syntrax Proteins are the Lemon Tea, Fuzzy Navel (peach flavored), and Pink Grapefruit. I mix them all with CL lemonade (Pink Grapefruit + CL lemonade tastes kind of like Fresca or Squirt)

p.s You can order sample packs of Syntrax Protein powder from several sources - that way you can try them and see which ones you like. Then you're not stuck with a 2 lb tub of something you hate. They also make standard ones (chocolate, vanilla, etc) in addition to the fruit-flavored and Iced Tea ones

@@Fiqah87 Personally I use Fairlife milk and Unjury chocolate Protein Shake. I use 54 grams (two servings) and with 10 oz of the milk and the powder I wind up with 59.1g of medical grade Protein that tastes like chocolate milk. It is absolutely wonderful. Certainly worth a try.

I think your protein cocktail sounds wonderful. However, our body only processes a certain amount of protein at a time. So how does that work if we have an intake of protein more than what our body can process at one time?