Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery scheduled 10/03/04

Hello Everyone,

Well, I decided to go for the lapband and do the self pay with Dr. Jossart here in S.F. California. I will pay 12,500 and 4,000 for five years of follow up care for fills ect.

I was going to try and find Dr. Ortiz but thought it would be easier on my children in I had it done close to home for one night. I just adopted my son eight months ago and really feel uncomfortable being away for too long. I have been home on disablity for over a year and think it is time I do something so I can really enjoy my children. I blew a disk and need to replace my left hip from a football accident that happen when I was 12. So I am doing the lapband ad my 1st procedure.

My partner had gastric by-pass August 2003 and has lost 130 pounds. During that time my 8 year old daughter started to fall apart and came to believe we were not ever coming back. When we were in Kaiser there were a lot of complications for my partener and it turned into a 14 day hospital stay versus 5 days. She almost died and another woman did died. I was so overwhelemed with all the complications I saw. So for my children's sake who are 8, 7, and one I thought I'd keep in short and sweet in hopes of keeping their anxiety down and so I'd be around I chose the lapaband. It was hard because I would most likly have full coverage for the by-pass with Kaiser.

I hope to recoup some of the money when I start feeling better and earning some extra money later down the line. I keep telling myself that I am worth it and I will be able to pay off the money as I get better.

I watched Oprah the other night and they had done a special on a woman who had been 500 pounds. She lost 301 after by-pass surgury. Her story motivated me to do something. I too keep telling myself I can beat this by .... and the years keep passing and the medical problems keep mounting as my weight creeps up and up. She talked about the pain she was in and how she had come to accept it as normal and that she had some to point she was unable to move.

Even though I am 300 pounds I feel the same way. I am in pain all the time and move more like I am eight verus 38. I need the help and while some have asled whya message I am sending my daughter by having used surgury to loose weight I hope that by being healthier they will follw my example of eating well and caring for myself. In fact, my daughter came in and saw some of Oprah with us and said something like you need to sweat to loose wieght like her to loose weight ...right. I don't think she gets that the surgery part is a tool but she inderstands the life style changes are necessary for me to feel better. I simply told her it was my turn to get better. My partner is better and while it seems that the weight loss with the lapband is slower I hope to loose 100 pounds. I am scared but I hope to be a sucess like so many people here.

Thanks for listening to me ramble. The baby is up and I need to go. I hope all is well for everyone here.

Take care,

Melanie :banana

Melanie, Congratulations for regaining your health and your life back! Your health problems and pain will reduce, if not completely go away! Best of luck to you!

Congratulations on taking that big step in deciding to get it done. I seriously wish I'd been more motivated to do this sooner for myself. I've lost #20 in 6 weeks, and everyone is noticing. It sure feels good to pick up those jeans I haven't worn in years and slide them right on. Read the posts; would you do it again, and what have you gained, you'll find some serious motivation there. Good Luck in your pursuit, read, read, read, to be ready, 12/03 is creeping up on us, and do keep us posted!

Good for you, Melanie! It's great that your partner will be able to relate to what you'll go through with the band; many of us have people close to us who just don't get it. Is there any chance at all that Kaiser will cover the surgery -- or at least the follow-up care? If your disability is weight-related, the insurer may figure that it's actually cheaper to give you a band than to pay for long-term doctor visits and physical therapy. But even if you have to pay for it yourself, if you're like most of us self-paying bandsters, you'll find it is worth every cent.

Good luck. Just think, you'll have a new, improved body in a year!

Melanie, WELCOME!

I had my surgery for the same reason as you... my kids!

I just want to go play basketball with my 9 yr old and not pass-out.

Good luck - and keep us posted on your progress.

Welcome Melanie!! Congratulations on your choice to be banded! This is a great group and I'm sure you'll find lots of encouragement. Please feel free to read all the posts. There is much knowledge and experience to be had here! Good luck to you with your surgery!

Thanks you guys for all your support and encouragement. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with the decision to have the lapband but think it is the right one. I am reading about all the life style changes and all the work necessary to be sucessful and it scares me. My partner is pro by-pass but I am too scared to go that route even if it means paying cash.

I have been reading every night and am grateful for this forum. It has let me know I am not alone and all my questions can be answered with a stroke of a computer key board. You all are great!

I love my family and think the will be very happy in six months so it is a matter of just taking the first step. So I will keep you posted.

Melanie

Your success depends on your mental ability to make the proper changes, eating wisely, drinking tons of Water, but not with meals. You have the physical hunger, but probably worst is the head hunger. That's the one that needs the most work. You can do this! You have everything to gain and only pounds to lose! Best of luck to you!!1

You are in good hands with LapSF. They are great lap surgeons. Get lots of feedback on follow-up care from these online support groups. Self-pay has been a burden, but it is worth every single penny! I am so glad I made the leap. Being close to your doctor will really make it easier in the long run. Congratulations on your surgery date.

I am reading about all the life style changes and all the work necessary to be successful and it scares me.

That's normal. If you want to know more about what the rest of us have experienced, read old posts here on LapBandTalk; we bandsters might not be medical experts, but we've written a lot about why we decided to get banded, how we feel right after surgery, what it's like to get through the first few weeks on liquids, whether to tell anyone about our bands, and lots more -- including our worries and fears weeks and minutes before going to the hospital. If you have any questions, just ask!