Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12lbs in first 3 weeks?!? What am I doing wrong?!?

I was sleeved October 26 and I'm still in the liquid phase. I get up and walk a mile every morning. how in the heck can I be losing weight so slowly?

Yes, I'm low BMI but I've lost weight easily in the past.

In the past when I yo-yo dieted and trust me, I've done every diet there is, in the first three weeks for sure I would lose a pound a day - 21 pounds, no problem. this is very frustrating!

I drink three or four premium shakes a day and I think I get all my Water in and also alternate with powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup. I get it that has a little bit of salt but come on. I added a couple organic Soups with 15g of carbs per serving and I'll have one serving with unflavored Protein. That's insane if that's causing my stall but seriously what is happening here? I'm not even at three weeks yet.

You are still recovering from major surgery. Just follow your program, focus on getting in all of your Protein and fluids, take all of your Vitamins and supplements as directed, exercise, and you will lose weight.

We all lose weight at different rates at different times. At three weeks out you are about due for your first stall, which is a normal, natural, and necessary part of the process.

You are doing fine.

Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

Relax. People react differently to the sleeve. Some lose faster than others. You are no longer yo-yo dieting, so stop comparing your sleeve to that nonsense. Follow your plan. It works.

If you are already freaking out about "only" losing 12 pounds, which is GREAT by the way, you are going to go absolutely crazy when a stall hits. So relax, follow your plan, it will work. (Yes, I already said that, I felt like you needed to hear it again!) :)

I'm just concerned that I'm already losing slowly in the very easiest portion of this - the first 3 weeks. I hear of people not even looking at carbs. Maybe I'll trim mine to like 20.

I'm just very curious why this is the first time in my life I haven't lost very fast when I'm eating pretty much the same thing as I did back in the yo-yo diet days...so...confusing.

You And I are in the same boat. Sleeved 10/22. BMI under 35 and losing weight slower than the over 40 BMI'ers. But I believe that is to be expected. Also with your dieting Before the sleeve, you were probably losing more Water weight than fat weight. With a sleeve, it's the real deal. You're probably already noticing loose skin and looser fitting clothes.

With a lower BMI from the gate, you need to lower your weight loss speed expectations. My goal is 18-20lbs this first month, and 10lbs each subsequent month. That'll put me (and you) at goal around six months. And that ain't so bad at all.

It's a marathon, not a race. :)

I'm just very curious why this is the first time in my life I haven't lost very fast when I'm eating pretty much the same thing as I did back in the yo-yo diet days...so...confusing.

Because you are NOT yo-yo dieting. This is not any other diet you have been on. You had major surgery. Your body has to have time to heal and adjust to the change.

Look at it like this. I'm in Arizona. If I drive 300 miles east I'll be in New Mexico, if I drive 300 miles west I'll be in California. Either way I drove 300 miles, but I ended up in very different places. You simply cannot compare the two. You have to get out of the mindset that this is like any other diet you have tried. It is not. All of those diets failed. This one will not. Relax. Follow your plan. It will work!

Ditto what @@SuperDave said.

The differences:

You had major surgery and are healing.

You were pumped full of IV fluids in the hospital.

You are swollen.

You probably already lost that "easy" first 20 pounds pre-op. (You know that 20 pound all the commercial diet plans "guarantee" you will lose in the first two weeks.)

Please trust us. You are and will be fine.

You are not doing anything wrong. Give yourself time, I have fallen almost into a depression and was crying every day because I had these weeks of no weight loss and than I lost almost 1lb a day for a week. It is ok to have these short stops, right now I have been on a stand still for almost a month. Keep up your exercise, switch it up and your body will follow:)

I am 5 weeks out and only down 18lbs. I did have an emergency appendectomy at 4 weeks. I started at a BMI of 35.

Be patient, I have decided not to weigh myself daily because I get so discouraged. There is no way we are causing a slow weight loss our bodies are just taking their time. This will help with loose skin????

The differences:

You had major surgery and are healing.

You were pumped full of IV fluids in the hospital.

You are swollen.

You probably already lost that "easy" first 20 pounds pre-op. (You know that 20 pound all the commercial diet plans "guarantee" you will lose in the first two weeks.)

Please trust us. You are and will be fine.

But I didn't diet preop. I actually gained from my food funerals. A few of that is clothes and shoes at the dr Ofc.

I just know that the first month is the easiest so I wanted to take full advantage of not being able to eat solids etc.

Too funny. This could have been my post. Look at it this way...with the small amount of food you are taking in, your body has no choice but to lose. So don't worry about the scale...it will come down eventually. There is nothing other than that, which can happen & will happen. Your body has no choice but to lose. It will show up soon. It can't help but finally show up on the scale & when it does it will be a big drop. By the way, I was sleeved October 14. Keep going.....bodies have their own sense of humour.

@@itstimealready -- If averaging four pounds per week isn't good enough, give back, nay, take back the 12 and demand a refund.

Do you want to lose weight or do you want to compete in a race? If the latter, you'd be racing only against yourself and, therefore, forever neck-and-neck.

I just know that the first month is the easiest so I wanted to take full advantage of not being able to eat solids etc.

What you know is wrong. The first month is not always the easiest month to lose weight. It can be good for many, but it is usually not the most dramatic loss as some are hurting and unable to exercise and swollen/retaining Water for much longer after surgery, and everyone reacts differently.

And considering that you said you started out at a low BMI, you are expecting entirely too much all at once. You need to adjust your attitude and expectations and realize that your body will lose weight at the pace that it decides - not what someone else lost, not what the doctor thinks you should lose, and certainly not your current expectations.

Stop worrying and working yourself up over this. This is a total change in how you relate to food and your body that you should be following for the rest of your life... you need to stop focusing on the first weeks and even months and comparing things so obsessively. You are in this for the long haul. As long as you are doing as your doctor suggested on Protein, Water and exercise, you will succeed.

Edited by FrankiesGirl