Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PatchMD Vitamin Patches

Has anyone used this? Do they work?

Unless they were designed specifically for the bariatric crowd they are unlikely to have the supplements we need. Further there are so many variables in Patches, (what percentage sticks, how much uptake your body gets from each patch, skin condition, the list goes on. For a pain med the Fentanyl that is measured in MICRO grams it works fine, but for a complex assortment of supplements I would stay away until a great deal of research is done. The one advantage, you can bypass the malabsortive component of your surgery, so you could get Iron and B12 simply. It may turn out to be a wonderful thing. I would like to know more.

I'm using them right now, but haven't had any blood tests since starting the. I've read several people on here who use them and blood tests all came back fine. I'm using them until I can swallow the Vitamins, because the chewable so make me sick!

I am using them. My Nut said they have a few patients that use them and they all have had good blood work.

When you get your blood work back let us know how they did!

My nutritionist doesn't want me using. Says they are not formulated for Bariatric patients and the absorption rate varies.

I was told I could try ANY form of the required Vitamins. And with each lab result we would talk about the form's effectiveness, then adjust as needed.

Right now I am on a liquid Calcium Citrate, liquid Omega-3, a sub-lingual B12, a D3 gel-tab and a chew-able multi. If my labs next month indicate my levels are off, I will try the patch and go from there.

I have to use a patch right now for birth control, pain meds and wouldn't mind another patch for Vitamins. It would make things super easy.

I am trying them right now and will have my labs done in January to check levels. They are easy that is for sure! They meet the minimum Vitamin requirements my doctor wanted me to get in.

I do the Multivitamin, B-12plus, and VitaminD-Calcium Patches.

I am trying them right now and will have my labs done in January to check levels. They are easy that is for sure! They meet the minimum Vitamin requirements my doctor wanted me to get in.

I do the Multivitamin, B-12plus, and VitaminD-Calcium Patches.

Those are the two I am trying also.

@@melps RNY and Sleeved procedures require different amounts or delivery systems of Vitamin B12. I had bypass and was told to take the B12 injections once per month, so that's what I do. My 6 month post-op bloodwork came back spot-on. Here's something most don't know. It's not only important we get proper B12 amounts but the right type is vital as well. That's one of the reasons I choose to take opurity Multivitamins instead of other bariatric Vitamins as they contain Methylcobalamin just like my injections. You may want to check the back of your bottles everyone!

Vitamin B12 Injections: Cyanocobalamin vs. Methylcobalamin

Vitamin B12, medically known as cobalamin, is one of the components of the vitamin B complex. Cobalamin is vital for proper functioning of the nervous system and for the creation of blood cells. Though cobalamin can be obtained from food or supplements, improper absorption in the small intestine can lead to a cobalamin deficiency in some people, especially those after gastric bypass surgery.

There are two different types of cobalamin: cyanocobalamin and methylcobalamin. Before getting an injection, you should know the difference between these two types.

The Difference Between Cyanocobalamin and Methylcobalamin

Cyanocobalamin and methylcobalamin are the same compound with only one molecule differentiating the two. Cyanocobalamin has a cyanide donor, meaning that a molecule of cyanide is attached to the cobalamin compound. Instead of cyanide, methylcobalamin has a methyl donor attached to the cobalamin compound. Though the difference is small, it can have an impact on your health.

Because it is cheaper to produce, cyanocobalamin is the type of B12 most often found in Vitamins and dietary supplements. It is not naturally occurring and can only be made in a laboratory. Since cyanocobalamin contains cyanide, a substance that is NOT intended to be used in the body, cyanocobalamin must be broken down and converted. The body naturally tries to convert cyanocobalamin into methylcobalamin by removing the cyanide donor and attaching a methyl donor. This must be done before the compound can be used as vitamin B12 by the body.

The human body naturally has a supply of methyl molecules, typically used for a process called methylation. Methylation is a normal function of a healthy body. It is important for stabilizing free radicals and detoxification, which keeps the body healthy and illness-free. Consumption of methylcobalamin replenishes the body’s supply of methyl molecules, whereas consumption of cyanocobalamin depletes the supply of methyl compounds. For this reason, cyanocobalamin can have an adverse effect on one’s health by using useful methyl compounds that are needed for other purposes. Thus, the body unnecessarily uses energy and resources converting cyanocobalamin into a biologically useful form of vitamin B12.

Methylcobalamin not only replenishes the body’s supply of methyl molecules, it also does not need to be converted before it can be used. That is because methylcobalamin is the purer, naturally occurring form of vitamin B12. Methylcobalamin can be absorbed and used by the body immediately. This is particularly true when methylcobalamin is injected because then it can bypass the absorption process in the small intestine and can be immediately used by the blood to make more cells or carried to the nervous system where it also plays an important role.

Check Before You Buy

Before you get any sort of vitamin B12 supplement, make sure you know what you are getting. Most Multivitamins and oral supplements use cyanocobalamin. Though this can be effective for some people, it can cause problems for people with methylation problems. Methylcobalamin is the purer, biologically-preferred version of vitamin B12 that is naturally found in food. For people with nutrient absorption problems in the small intestine, vitamin injections may be a sensible option to ensure you are getting all the nutrition your body needs to be healthy

post-236324-0-37523700-1447292284_thumb.jpg

post-236324-0-27015200-1447292285_thumb.jpg

I buy all my products from powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury and opurity. The China-Free™ sold me.

@@melps RNY and Sleeved procedures require different amounts or delivery systems of Vitamin B12. I had bypass and was told to take the B12 injections once per month, so that's what I do. My 6 month post-op bloodwork came back spot-on. Here's something most don't know. It's not only important we get proper B12 amounts but the right type is vital as well. That's one of the reasons I choose to take opurity Multivitamins instead of other bariatric Vitamins as they contain Methylcobalamin just like my injections. You may want to check the back of your bottles everyone!

Vitamin B12 Injections: Cyanocobalamin vs. Methylcobalamin

Vitamin B12, medically known as cobalamin, is one of the components of the vitamin B complex. Cobalamin is vital for proper functioning of the nervous system and for the creation of blood cells. Though cobalamin can be obtained from food or supplements, improper absorption in the small intestine can lead to a cobalamin deficiency in some people, especially those after gastric bypass surgery.

There are two different types of cobalamin: cyanocobalamin and methylcobalamin. Before getting an injection, you should know the difference between these two types.

The Difference Between Cyanocobalamin and Methylcobalamin

Cyanocobalamin and methylcobalamin are the same compound with only one molecule differentiating the two. Cyanocobalamin has a cyanide donor, meaning that a molecule of cyanide is attached to the cobalamin compound. Instead of cyanide, methylcobalamin has a methyl donor attached to the cobalamin compound. Though the difference is small, it can have an impact on your health.

Because it is cheaper to produce, cyanocobalamin is the type of B12 most often found in Vitamins and dietary supplements. It is not naturally occurring and can only be made in a laboratory. Since cyanocobalamin contains cyanide, a substance that is NOT intended to be used in the body, cyanocobalamin must be broken down and converted. The body naturally tries to convert cyanocobalamin into methylcobalamin by removing the cyanide donor and attaching a methyl donor. This must be done before the compound can be used as vitamin B12 by the body.

The human body naturally has a supply of methyl molecules, typically used for a process called methylation. Methylation is a normal function of a healthy body. It is important for stabilizing free radicals and detoxification, which keeps the body healthy and illness-free. Consumption of methylcobalamin replenishes the body’s supply of methyl molecules, whereas consumption of cyanocobalamin depletes the supply of methyl compounds. For this reason, cyanocobalamin can have an adverse effect on one’s health by using useful methyl compounds that are needed for other purposes. Thus, the body unnecessarily uses energy and resources converting cyanocobalamin into a biologically useful form of vitamin B12.

Methylcobalamin not only replenishes the body’s supply of methyl molecules, it also does not need to be converted before it can be used. That is because methylcobalamin is the purer, naturally occurring form of vitamin B12. Methylcobalamin can be absorbed and used by the body immediately. This is particularly true when methylcobalamin is injected because then it can bypass the absorption process in the small intestine and can be immediately used by the blood to make more cells or carried to the nervous system where it also plays an important role.

Check Before You Buy

Before you get any sort of vitamin B12 supplement, make sure you know what you are getting. Most multivitamins and oral supplements use cyanocobalamin. Though this can be effective for some people, it can cause problems for people with methylation problems. Methylcobalamin is the purer, biologically-preferred version of vitamin B12 that is naturally found in food. For people with nutrient absorption problems in the small intestine, vitamin injections may be a sensible option to ensure you are getting all the nutrition your body needs to be healthy

Here is the back of the patch MD B12 Energy Plus. ???? if anyone is interested...

post-249589-14473391299938_thumb.jpg

Edited by TMG1980TMG

@@TMG1980TMG

I find the idea of a patch for Vitamins compelling if not for one caveat, I am part Wookie, wearing a patch requires shaving an area and keeping it hair free. I used the patch to quit smoking, and the shaving was horrible. However those numbers look good. Again the absorption is an issue, and the Patches not being waterproof is bad, as I sweat a great deal when I exercise. I think for many they may be a good option, however for me it just creates too much work.

I'm looking for feedback from our members currently using PatchMD vitamin patches. Please let me know if you've gotten your labs back and how they look.