Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What the heck does this mean?!

Finally got the word that I am approved for surgery. Celebration time right?! Not so fast my friend...they denied me for some type of pump 64999 is the billing code. Can't get my insurance coordinator on the phone to explain for me. What does this mean? Anyone know?

From googling it looks like a pain pump.

That's what I was thinking @magtart...I wonder if they will do the surgery anyway? I am willing to suffer! Lol

Oh, yeah. You can get pain meds through your IV or a shot in your hip. It should have nothing to do with going ahead with the surgery.

I wouldn't worry about it, I took small pills for pain after my surgery a week ago, never had a pain pump.

Procedure code 64999 is for "unlisted procedure, nervous system", which means there is no code that adequately describes the procedure. I can't think of what they would do that would be an unlisted procedure.

Pain pumps are implanted, so it's not that (and that has a code anyway). Your surgeon's office might have either made a mistake, or tried to unbundle a procedure. Procedures include certain items and you cannot unbundle them to get higher reimbursement by billing them separately.

I did not have a pain pump either. I had an IV in the whole time I was there, 2 nights, so they just gave me pain meds every 6 hours thru the IV, don't even worry about it, it should have nothing to do with having the surgery, good luck

I never even used my pain pump.

I wonder if they want to do a new pain method for you that they did to me, I had to contact my insurance about covering it but it was in the pre op room they did a procedure that was almost like an epidural in my abdomen to block the pain before I even went in the OR. It was considered optional but I let them do it then my insurance tried to deny that part of the claim until I contacted them about it and now they paid it.

Pain just wasn't that bad. I never used pain meds once I woke up. Nothing through the IV or orally. I have to say it helped tremendously with being more alert and able to walk because I wasn't drugged up.

@@reree6898 That actually may be what it is...but as long as it is optional...bye bye to it! I don't want any further delays! Aetna said I could appeal that part of the descion but as long as my Dr doesnt care I don't want to!

Thank you so much for the info!

Didn't have a pain pump.

Didn't need one.

Didn't know there was one.

They'll control your pain via an IV when you're in the hospital and via pain pills / liquids when you go home.

Honestly, most people don't have terrible pain from this operation. Yes, some suffer. But most don't.

I took hydrocodone twice after I came home. (And spent only one night in the hospital.)