Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So....how much weight have you lost?!

I keep getting this question and everyone wants a freaking number?! Why?! Please explain! I'm 6 pant sizes down, I fit in booths at restaurants, I go to get in my car and realize that no one moved my seat up except me so I could teach the petals, my clothes are falling off me. Why is that number so important?! I'm so excited about all the other things!! If I always tell people how awesome they look when they lose weight, but I would never ask how much. I feel like I should walk around with a white board tied to my neck with that number written on it.

to each his own. But remember it is called weight loss surgery for a reason. Its not called body change or clothes dont fit surgery. Im proud of what I have accomplished, if someone really wants to know. I tell them. I dont let others judge me, thats my job.

When someone pushes, I say "a freaking BUTT-LOAD". That usually gets a laugh, and ends it. But I know what you mean...

Hi everyone my name is Claudia ,I'm a newbie 3 week post op-Lapband can someone please give me advise,tips,motivation on how you have been successful in loosing weight, what kinda meal plan to follow?...I have read alot of positive feedback here! thank you!

I keep getting this question and everyone wants a freaking number?! Why?! Please explain! I'm 6 pant sizes down, I fit in booths at restaurants, I go to get in my car and realize that no one moved my seat up except me so I could teach the petals, my clothes are falling off me. Why is that number so important?! I'm so excited about all the other things!! If I always tell people how awesome they look when they lose weight, but I would never ask how much. I feel like I should walk around with a white board tied to my neck with that number written on it.

I notice that the only people who ask me about the specific # lost are those who know about my surgery.

Others just compliment me, tell me I look good.

I think it's because people secretly want to know what you started out as, and most can't really picture that. If you are now closer to what they think is "normal" they can guess a number and then add X pounds to it. Then they feel morally superior b/c they never weighed that much!

I don't know but I have to say, it really doesn't bother me. I know how big I was and how big I looked. I am proud of losing 120lbs so I really don't mind saying it.

I also have not had anyone ask me that question that doesn't care about me. Maybe if it was someone who I didn't trust I clearly would not say.

Now, I shout it from the rooftops. I can't wait until I can say 145lbs, then I know I will finally be a healthy weight for my height.

Then, I am going to do the dance of joy!

Maybe weight loss shows like Biggest Loser have sensationalized weight loss. They want us to step on the giant scale and see how many pounds we've lost.

I believe the majority of people are truly happy for me and most can't believe when I tell them how much I've lost.

It's none of their business. Good for you!!! I applaud you for your mindset! I used to be hung up on numbers, but years ago I learned that weight is just a number and the most important things are how you feel and how your clothes fit, if you can tolerate more activity, being able to tie your shoes without having to come up for air, being able to shop for smaller clothes, and being able to wrap a regular sized towel around you and it fit! Those are some of the things that matter. I am sure there are hundreds of more reasons. Congratulations on your success!!! Great job :D

I really don't understand why women want a number. I think some women are so critical of others, jealous, envious, and competitive. I am not trying to win a competition, I am just trying to be healthy. :)

I always say "not near enough.....got more to go....but I'm working on it...Thank you for noticing"! That is usually end of conversation but if they keep pushing for amount....I just say I won't know until I weigh at the doctor....or I haven't been to the doctor lately.

I don't know about everyone else but I'm proud to say how much weight I've lost.

I was so ashamed of what I used to weigh that I prefer not to give the numbers except for places like this site. So when I was asked by a few people, I would just say 'alot'. Most folks let it go at that. Not all, but most.

I made a decision very early out not to share numbers. Not even with my family. I only started being brutally honest with myself about the numbers on the scale in the past year or so. No one else, other than my doctors, have a need to know.

I am surprised when someone asked me how much weight I've lost.