Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One week post-op HOW ARE WE DOING?

How are all our friends who had surgery this week? I had my sleeve done on June 25th and i was doing great at the hospital, using the restroom regularly, able to walk well. Now that i'm home i am struggling a bit without hospital pain meds. It's not unbearable by any means, but it feels like i did 800 sit ups and i cant bend over, bend to the side, getting in and out of bed hurts too, and i have a very slight burning sensation toward the bottom of my belly. Hope thats normal. Im doing my best to get liquids down, but its almost half the day and i'm down only half a bottle. The pressure and discomfort in my chest reminds me of the endoscopy discomfort but thats doing much better after day one. Good news, i've been releasing a lot of the gas which has helped but i still feel like a blimp full of helium walking around. How's everybody else doing in their first week post op??

I was sleeved on Monday. I'm doing awesome! All of my pain is gone and I can drink liquids with no problems. I'll exceed 100 ounces today. I go slower when I drink Protein Shakes. Maybe 30 minutes for an 11 ounce shake. My problem is that I want some real food. I'm allowed drinkable yogurt and Protein shakes now.

@@wascott that's awesome! I'm hoping a week in i'll have no pain as well. That gives me hope. Best of luck

I was sleeved June 22 and am doing better today than all other days. I've been having really bad headaches at night that make it hard to sleep. Other than that my abdomen is extremely sore and my drain is pulling at the incisions, so hopefully I can get in on Monday to have it pulled. Wondering how long it will take to feel back to normal or even up for leaving the house :).

@@PChayy05 I had some chest pain early on especially when I leaned over to drink my chicken broth. It sort of throbbed. I think it was caused by all of the swelling. It only lasted a couple of days for me.

@@NellZ I didn't get a drain. Every day has been better than the last.

I was sleeved on the 20th and I am feeling great as well. After day 2 I was doing great and not having any pain. I had a little gas but it wasn't terrible. I have been getting in about 65g of Protein and the same in ounces of liquid. I am just focusing on getting everything in.

I was sleeved June 24th and having horrible Migraine level headaches. I've been home since the 26th. I'm trying to switch to tylenol during the day so I'm not taking so much of the narcotic pain medicine. Yesterday I was able to get about 60g of Protein in and about 110oz of fluids. I feel like I'm doing ok in that regard. I've taken a stool softener for the Constipation problem.

I was sleeved on the 23rd no pain meds since day of surgery - getting 64 oz of fluids but not enough Protein. Have lost almost 3 pounds a day in the last 4 days. Walking about 3 miles a day. I feel pretty good

Woke up this morning with minimal pain. Very happy about that. It's become a lot easier to get through Water and Protein Shakes too. I coughed hard earlier and felt like every organ fell out of my body lol be careful. But overall my intake is going great and the pain is down, so im going to work on some Soups tonight. I took chewable vitamins, and i felt like i had a 7 course meal, but no nausea. Sounds like everyones getting in enough liquids and protein! Thats the most important this first week. Im also walking 15min every hour or so and that has really helped the gas pains. Week 2 and 3 are right around the corner!

I was sleeved 6/22. I had to stay in the hospital an extra day because I wasn't drinking enough. As far as pain goes I'm doing good. Not in much pain. I still feel some pain when I get up to stand and sit sometimes. Also my chest hurts when I swallow, but it's getting better.

As far as my diet, I'm struggling to get in all my liquids and Protein. I'm kind of worried about this because I'll be on the liquid diet for 5 weeks. Any advice from anyone on getting in your protein and fluids?

I was sleeved last Monday 6/22, home from the hospital on Tues. Haven't had any pain at all since coming home, haven't had any nausea at all. Wed/thurs were my worst days, extremely weak. It took everything I had to get to the bathroom, showering or leaving the house was out of the question. Friday, I felt like a new person. Saturday night I went to a comedy club with friends (my first outing) and had a ball (drinking Water only). I was concerned that would wear me out, but I was fine. Today, I made it like a normal day.....ran errands, walked 15 min with my dog, plan on riding my bike for a while, etc. I was finally able to get 60 grams of Protein today, first day that's happened. The prior days was more like 30 grams per day. Water isn't an issue for me, plenty hydrated.

I'm a low BMI'er (35 at start) and have lost 14 pounds since the start of the pre-op diet on 6/8/15. Of course, I had to lose 10 pounds twice (lost it during the pre-op liquid diet, then gained the Fluid in the hospital, lost it again)

I was sleeved 6/22. I had to stay in the hospital an extra day because I wasn't drinking enough. As far as pain goes I'm doing good. Not in much pain. I still feel some pain when I get up to stand and sit sometimes. Also my chest hurts when I swallow, but it's getting better.

As far as my diet, I'm struggling to get in all my liquids and Protein. I'm kind of worried about this because I'll be on the liquid diet for 5 weeks. Any advice from anyone on getting in your protein and fluids?

5 week liquid diet after surgery? Thst seems rough. I've read here from a lot of people that they r on pureed foods by week 3. I totally understand keeping u in the hospital until you were hydrated, they kept me all day until i could down two bottles of Clear Liquids. I would ask for some more clarity on that 5 week post op liquid diet because how are you supposed to have any energy? Like someone said earlier, post op i was on all liquids and had 0 energy. But now that im incorporating Protein Shakes and chewable vitamins im feeling good. Advice is to keep a shot glass with u. Every ten minutes, get thru one shot glass of clear liquid. As Protein Shake, remember to keep clear liquids going along with sips from shake because my doc said the shakes can dehydrate u too. The shot glass thing really gets me goinf because its not a full bottle of liquid, just a small glass i can be sipping on. Good luck!! :)

I was sleeved last Monday 6/22, home from the hospital on Tues. Haven't had any pain at all since coming home, haven't had any nausea at all. Wed/thurs were my worst days, extremely weak. It took everything I had to get to the bathroom, showering or leaving the house was out of the question. Friday, I felt like a new person. Saturday night I went to a comedy club with friends (my first outing) and had a ball (drinking Water only). I was concerned that would wear me out, but I was fine. Today, I made it like a normal day.....ran errands, walked 15 min with my dog, plan on riding my bike for a while, etc. I was finally able to get 60 grams of Protein today, first day that's happened. The prior days was more like 30 grams per day. Water isn't an issue for me, plenty hydrated.

I'm a low BMI'er (35 at start) and have lost 14 pounds since the start of the pre-op diet on 6/8/15. Of course, I had to lose 10 pounds twice (lost it during the pre-op liquid diet, then gained the Fluid in the hospital, lost it again)

Good for u! No pain at home? Wow. No nausea here but definite gas pains all over until morning 3. Pain level is about a 3 now. I'm sure i'll be down tomorrow too. Happy to hear everyone is have smooth recoveryyy

As far as my diet, I'm struggling to get in all my liquids and Protein. I'm kind of worried about this because I'll be on the liquid diet for 5 weeks. Any advice from anyone on getting in your Protein and fluids?

5 week liquid diet after surgery? Thst seems rough. I've read here from a lot of people that they r on pureed foods by week 3. I totally understand keeping u in the hospital until you were hydrated, they kept me all day until i could down two bottles of clear liquids. I would ask for some more clarity on that 5 week post op liquid diet because how are you supposed to have any energy? Like someone said earlier, post op i was on all liquids and had 0 energy. But now that im incorporating protein shakes and chewable Vitamins im feeling good. Advice is to keep a shot glass with u. Every ten minutes, get thru one shot glass of clear liquid. As protein shake, remember to keep clear liquids going along with sips from shake because my doc said the shakes can dehydrate u too. The shot glass thing really gets me goinf because its not a full bottle of liquid, just a small glass i can be sipping on. Good luck!! :)
Thanks for the advice. I'll do it. But yeah my surgeon is pretty strict on the post op diet. Liquids weeks 1-5, soft foods weeks 5-7, and solids week 7 and on. I have noticed most other people are into purees/soft foods in a couple of weeks, but my surgeon and nutritionist are pretty stern about it. I don't want to cheat, but this will definitely test my will power. I just drank a Protein Shake a hour ago and it made me so nauseous. I haven't felt like that since I left the hospital. I just keep reminding myself this is a minor obstacle on my journey to becoming a healthier, happier me.

I was sleeved on the 23rd. Home on the 25th. Feeling good. Just a little sore on one side, where they removed the excess stomach. I also had a minor hiatal hernia repaired. I'm having no trouble getting in my liquids, plus some. Building up my Protein intake.

I have a clear liquid diet for two weeks, then full liquids for another two weeks. Only then do I get to progress to pureed foods.