Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Substance Abuse After Surgery?

What's the chance of developing a substance abuse problem after surgery? If we don't have food anymore to satisfy our "fix", will we turn to drugs? Alcohol? I've been reading up on this, and I'm genuinely curious.

I've read that it happens with some people, drugs, alcohol, sex, cigarettes. I think it is called "addiction transfer", since you can't over eat any more you switch to something else.

I think it is a very real danger (just read some of the threads on here about alcohol). There is a reason that OA is patterned after AA. For many of us, we have used food as our substance or drug of choice along with or instead of other substances and activities. If we don't learn to substitute healthy substances and behaviors we can definitely be in danger of transferring addictions.

I hope I get addicted to exercise! I think I'm going to look for a therapist who specializes in WL

Any addiction's going to screw up your life - rather than hoping for an exercise addition (albeit one I've wished for in my previous life), I'd suggest to anyone dealing with WLS to get a good therapist and see them, at least monthly, for 2 years post op, if not longer. We're far better off seeing a therapist when we're entirely psychologically healthy and addiction free (excepting food, of course) and staying that way rather than waiting until we need it. That said, the likelihood of addiction switching from food to sex, drugs, alcohol, gambling, exercise, etc is no greater (and no less) than the likelihood of anyone else quitting another addiction swapping to another one. There's a reason for all of that coffee and those buckets of hard candies at AA, NA, etc meetings - folks just swap to something more socially acceptable. I'll agree I'd rather my own child was addicted to coffee than nicotine or narcotics, but I do wish 12-step programs did a better job writ large (I get that this is a HUGELY oversimplified generalization) of helping folks do more than just 'kick the ____ habit' and focussed on building a whole self in recovery. But that's just my 2 cents. In short - yes, you've got a higher risk than someone without other addictions, and a higher risk than if you stayed in your food addiction, but nothing some dedicated, honest, and vulnerable work with a good therapist can't help you through. Good luck!

Wow... I've never thought about that. I guess it would be a very real issue and possibility for some people. I suppose your personality type would have a bit to do with it, whether you have an addictive personality or not which I know a lot of people do. Thereapy is always great when it's needed so I really hope that anyone who deals with this seeks the help they need.

If we are here, on a journey to Weight Loss Surgery as a life line to normalcy, we ARE addicts and our choice of drug has become food. Therapy is definitely needed to address all of the underlying issues because we will either revert back to food or likely transfer to something else. I know many people who have had WLS, lost weight and who have gained weight back (myself included) because they didn't work out the inner issues. My brother-in-law lost over one hundred and forty pounds. He switched to alcohol his weight back (and more than what he lost). A coworker had the procedure and is now sexually promiscuous, plenty of people in my support groups have their struggles as well.

Just be mindful and set yourself up to win - therapy doesn't hurt anyone.

Best wishes

Edited by India928

@@India928, Here here!

I drank pretty heavy before my "stomach stapling" back in 1982 and after, I went down hill fast then sobered up 6 months after. I met several gastric bypass pts. when I was in treatment (I had a serious relapse after 26 years of sobriety). Unfortunately I gained my weight back and looking at a roux n y after years of trying to get this weight off again. Just know it is out there and be on guard.