Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to this!

Hi, I am starting the process for weight loss surgery I live in Canada so I'm getting one that's covered under OHIP. I go today for an appointment with the nurse&social worker. I am a little nervous seeing as I hate how people look at me in the medical field. I've gone to the hospital numerous times with diabetes related things & I can honestly tell you - it doesn't feel good to be told "you'd feel better if you'd just lose weight" over & over again. I think I'm in good psychological condition and my parents are 100% behind me. The only thing I'm worried about is the after surgery. I'm an emotional eater. I eat all the time. Not being able to drink pop is another thing I'm scared of - which if you think about it is quite stupid. I look forward to talking to you all.

I have to say giving up Diet Pepsi was a miracle for me. I also quit caffeine altogether as well. I did all that the month prior to surgery. It was not as hard as I had thought it would be. I don't really miss it now. I am willing to give up what ever I need to be thin again. The hardest part for me was giving up pizza.

As far as the emotional eater that's one you will have to deal with. You may even need to see a therapists to see why you do this and how to break the habit. You may want to look into some new hobbies so you have alternatives to turn to when you want to eat and its not a meal time.

I wish you lots of luck.

@soontobskinny Welcome to your new home :D This is a wonderful forum to get advice, air off if you are happy or struggling and everyone is so nice and helpful. I feel lexiemia has a valid point - perhaps it will be a doddle for you and if not try considering therapy. I wish you the very best in your journey and keep posting !

Hugs

Kate

Hello and welcome aboard! You are about to embark on an amazing journey of wonderment and self discovery. And let me reassure you that all your apprehensions going in are completely normal and understandable.

I started my process in the exact same frame of mind. Worried about being judged by the medical profession, based on past experiences. It always seems that matter what reason for the visit, be it flu or an ingrown toe nail, they somehow manage to find a way to relate it back to your weight. And when you've been overweight nearly your entire life, it seriously messes with your self esteem. And you often find yourself avoiding going at all costs, just to save yourself the inevitable brow beating.

But the experience will be entirely different this time I can promise you. Maybe not so much on their end, depending on who you end up with, but definitely on yours. Yes, it can be a long and arduous process, I won't lie, but you're going to discover just how strong you really are, and will be able to tap into reservoirs of courage and determination you never even knew you possessed. And the secret for this incredible transformation goes by one name: Hope.

I know what you're probably thinking: Hope, you say? Been there, done that. Well, I'm here to tell you that you're wrong. This is different. There's a lot of work and sacrifice involved, there's no question, but the eventual reward is on an entirely different level.

It's not the same fickle hope you and I, and so many others, have experienced before whenever we set out on the latest diet fad, time after time. Only to fail miserably, like all the ones before. There aren't any pills to take, or freeze dried meals, not even a celebrity spokesperson, or an introductory offer. In fact the only qualification you need to join this club is the ironclad will to change your life forever.

Right now, I know, just the thought of giving up your favorite trigger foods/drinks seems unthinkable. But here's where the wait time for the approval process can be used to your benefit. You don't need to go cold turkey, and you don't have to change everything all at once. Start by weaning yourself off of caffeine, and then after a couple of weeks begin upping your Water intake, and then a little while later, look into an exercise regimen. You can go at your own pace and order. And at the same time, read and research extensively, find a support group, and learn everything you can from bariatric forums, such as this one.

You will get there, if you really want it, and someday you will look back at this time, and marvel at how quickly it passed by. More than likely your only regret will be that you didn't do it sooner. And then it will be your turn to encourage someone else who is scared and worried, just starting out, like you are now.

Good luck! You have an amazing life ahead of you and the possibilities are endless!

Ten weeks out tomorrow, 60# down, so many health improvements they are hard to list...off 80% of meds. Yes, I do miss eating some things but honestly, giving up old favorites is easy when I receive flexibility, hope, and a clear head. I don't chase food all the time...you will do well!!! My NUT and head nurse said that pop is a WLS defeater-- you will give it up and see the reason for giving it up. Good luck!!!

Welcome abroad you will find your journey to be very interesting and challenging, you will have your ups and downs, good times and bad, remember the surgery only meets you half way the rest is in your mind. There will be times you can hardly eat and there will be times you wonder how you ate so much. You will get to the weight you want only if you really want it bad enough. Good luck.

I don't miss pop and junk edibles (can't call them food) as much as I thought I would. One thing I had to come to grips with was the thinking that healthy food is so much more expensive, until I read an article pointing out that the money I was spending on a $15 a day fast food (before and after work habit) could be MY money or THEIR money. Once I let it go and determined that it was going to be MY money, that freed up ($15 x 5 days a week) $75.00 a week for good healthy groceries from the perimeter of the store.

Once that first thirty pounds come off and you start to feel better, you may notice that even if you submit to temptation, the pleasure response is not the same, and your old favorites that deceived you into unwellness, will make you even sicker.

It also helped me to view that stuff as poison rather than food. I do not go to McPoison's, Poison King, Poison Bell, or Poison Castle any more.

It sucks to be fat and once you start to become 'not fat', the foods you love and crave will not have the same hold on you. My life is so much better now that I am in less pain and simply able to get around where once I was on a cane and couldn't fit where other normal sized people could. And I'm telling you this from personal experience. I couldn't imagine not having food be the first priority in my life but when you are a participant again, instead of on the sidelines of life, your fears and worries about the 'loss' of the food really do disappear.

Good luck!

@@The Candidate said this so well!

This is all about being ready to make some changes and holding yourself accountable while still living your life.

If you are ready, you will be successful. I know this is easier said than done but try not to worry.

Focus on one change at a time. Trust me life without caffeine and soda is good. Take it from someone who was addicted to both.

I know this is weird but I actually crave water! It is the only thing I drink daily and I actually prefer it that way now. Every once in a while I will have a craving for a nice hot cup of tea and then I have it.

I choose not to abstain from any foods. I follow a very balanced high Protein, lower carb diet and yes I snack. I have just learned to make very wise choices every day. Then on that special occasion I will have a bite or two of cake or ice cream. Guess what it doesn't even taste good so that is all I need to satisfy me.

My nutritionist has taught me that you can eat pretty much anything you can tolerate as long as you focus on getting your Protein in first. The trick with that is protein fills you up fast and keeps you full longer. She taught me two bites of protein to every 1 bite of good carbs like vegetables and fruit. Lots of Water and get moving and the plan will not fail!

You will do well because you are already doing your research, don't ever stop. I swear I learn something new on this site every single day.

Bariatric Pal is a family who is experiencing a lot of the same feelings, frustrations and experiences and we all learn from one another.

I thank god every single day for the scientists, doctors, nurses and nutritionists that focus their efforts on helping those of us who suffer from the disease called obesity. They have literally saved my life!

All my comorbitities are gone and I have never felt better about myself.

Oh, and I am not afraid to shout it from the rooftops. If I can help even one person who is struggling with this disease go get help then it is worth telling people that I have done it.

The best of luck to you! Keep us posted and certainly feel free to reach out with questions if you like!

@@The Candidate said this so well!

This is all about being ready to make some changes and holding yourself accountable while still living your life.

If you are ready, you will be successful. I know this is easier said than done but try not to worry.

Focus on one change at a time. Trust me life without caffeine and soda is good. Take it from someone who was addicted to both.

I know this is weird but I actually crave water! It is the only thing I drink daily and I actually prefer it that way now. Every once in a while I will have a craving for a nice hot cup of tea and then I have it.

I choose not to abstain from any foods. I follow a very balanced high Protein, lower carb diet and yes I snack. I have just learned to make very wise choices every day. Then on that special occasion I will have a bite or two of cake or ice cream. Guess what it doesn't even taste good so that is all I need to satisfy me.

My nutritionist has taught me that you can eat pretty much anything you can tolerate as long as you focus on getting your Protein in first. The trick with that is protein fills you up fast and keeps you full longer. She taught me two bites of protein to every 1 bite of good carbs like vegetables and fruit. Lots of Water and get moving and the plan will not fail!

You will do well because you are already doing your research, don't ever stop. I swear I learn something new on this site every single day.

Bariatric Pal is a family who is experiencing a lot of the same feelings, frustrations and experiences and we all learn from one another.

I thank god every single day for the scientists, doctors, nurses and nutritionists that focus their efforts on helping those of us who suffer from the disease called obesity. They have literally saved my life!

All my comorbitities are gone and I have never felt better about myself.

Oh, and I am not afraid to shout it from the rooftops. If I can help even one person who is struggling with this disease go get help then it is worth telling people that I have done it.

The best of luck to you! Keep us posted and certainly feel free to reach out with questions if you like!

You made me cry on the bus. Thank you for this