Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hunger, Cravings, etc. Post-Op

Forgive me if this question has been posed a thousand times - I've read TONS on this board, but haven't seen a discussion exactly like this.

My surgery is scheduled for June 16. My Pre-Op diet is 2 weeks of low carb (>30g) and high Protein (70g+) and I've been doing well on it. I'm amazed at how it has really helped with my cravings for carbs and sugar - and somehow knowing i HAVE to do it, has made it easier to adhere to. I only have 1 day of liquid diet, day before surgery.

What I can't wrap my head around is coming out of surgery and not having cravings for food. I know you are supposed to not feel hunger, but for those of you who have had surgery, did you still have strong cravings? Did they come back later down the line? Also, what about if you were to watch people around you eating after surgery? I have a few events coming up shortly after surgery, and I'm just wondering if it'll bother me to see people eating and drinking all they want, or if I won't even care.

I know everyone's experience is different, but I'm curious to hear your stories about this.

I still get hungry ... Lol I'm 14 days post op... And I battle my head daily to my new body... My head wants to eat the same thing as before surgery and the cravings are real!!! But it's a lifestyle change not a race... So daily I teach myself and discipline my self to my new reality... And in the end, I'll be brand new both inside and out!

The head cravings have been with me from the first week. The surgery only takes away physical hunger for awhile. The rest is head work.

@@sarahbee Great questions. I think your smart to think of this before surgery! All I can do is give my account of my experience since surgery. Hopefully will give some insight.

I have not experienced hunger since my surgery (3 weeks ago). I've been around food, smelled food, have gone grocery shopping, walked past everything I have ever LOVED in my life on those shelves, and I could care less. Or if others eat, it's kinda' just all gross to me right now.

I went through pretty intensive therapy, on my own, for almost a year before surgery, to deal with life long food addiction issues. I knew if I didn't, I'd be on the other side of surgery, hungry, and trying to fill that same hole I always did. That has definitely helped me. Now, actual hunger, is just not there, and as I've said in other posts, it can stay away forever, for all I care. I only eat because I have to, and right now I am only managing to get half of my Protein in.

This is all just my opinion, but I don't understand why these Bariatric programs are not only inconsistent, but why they don't require much more psychological work/treatment, to address the real reasons why/how we got fat in the first place. Not all of it was just food intake. I know I have PCOD and Hashimotos, that didn't help, but I was also eating like there was no tomorrow. Like I said, just my opinion.

Well wishes for your surgery and a speedy recovery!

I didn't get cravings initially, now I try to fit my cravings into one of my 3 meals. Your pouch can only hold so much, you are allowed to eat during meals. I really try hard to not eat outside of meals though, and no calories from drinks.< /p>

With me, it's more of cravings than hunger. I don't get nearly as hungry as I used to. Late night is probably where it catches up to me.

It's really interesting how experiences differ so much patient to patient. This has been helpful, though, in setting my expectations. I appreciate y'alls responses!

I still crave. I just know that I can't have and if I allow myself a bite of this or that it only validates me to have more. I have gone into a retaurant that is more of cafeteria style that lays out all their Desserts to grab. I didn't want them. I was more like a kid in a candy store when I passed through the salad area. I still crave, but my taste are changing. A few strawberries sound better than a chocolate sundae to me. A fresh peach satisfies the want for peach cobbler. The results I have seen beats the cravings.

I haven't craved or been hungry....and actually set alarms every 3 hours to remind myself to eat. .. well....I take that back..when I see certain items...I make the hubby eat. ..burgers, pizza, cinnamon rolls. .. lol. ..he could use the lbs... lol. ..but no I haven't had a desire...probably due to my fear of dumping.

I have bad cravings for food I used to eat and I'm only a week out of surgery, but for some weird reason when I look at a photo of that food it makes me wanna vomit, like my body knows I'm not suppose to have it

Wow - such huge differences between different people! I will have to just cross my fingers and hope I'm one of the ones with no cravings :P

Surgery is tomorrow morning at 7:30am!!!

Good luck with your surgery., and journey to weight loss. It's a bit fast right now I went from 269 to 260 in 6 days ago I got surgery

wow - not bad! how are you feeling overall right now?