Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm doubting if I want the surgery...

I've done the 5 months of monitored weight loss. I'm having doubts. My acid reflux has gotten so bad I now have to take omeprazole everyday because apparently everything I eat now gives me heartburn.

I'm doubting my surgeon, the type of surgery I originally picked, the hospital and this whole thing.

The surgeon hasn't followed up with me at all. I've seen him once since my first meeting. Are they supposed to follow up?

The sleeve makes acid reflux worse, I'm teetering with the idea of bypass but not sure my surgeon will agree to do it. The other surgeon in the practice that I originally met with does bypass but he is seemed so impersonable and quick to pass me to another surgeon that I don't know if I would want him to do it-but he's been doing it for 32years.

If I move hospitals I'm afraid of issues with medical records and tests being transferred over.

I know deep down I want to do this-so bad, but I'm having so much anxiety.

I need help please.

I also suffer from bad acid reflux. I've taken previcid for years to control it. When I had my first appointment with the surgeon I told him I hoped to have the sleeve. He told me that because of the acid reflux I should have RNY gastric bypass. My surgeon isn't known for his bedside manner but he has a reputation for being a good surgeon.

Is there a local support group you can go to? Where I live, we are required to attend one meeting monthly while we are going through the process. I have found this to be a great source of information and support. Sometimes the bariatric practice has a contact person you can call with questions or concerns too. I would reach out to them.

I first started this process a year ago and I finally got my surgery date June 24th.

Hang in there! And good luck!

Ok, so the first advice I would give you... is seek out another surgeon. You must be really comfortable with your surgeon, his skills, his reputation etc. I wouldn't want someone I voluntarily asked to work on me that I didn't trust.

You need to find out which surgery is actually BEST for you... and not one you choose! I had a choice.. but I chose the RNY... it was better for ME.

Good luck on your journey. Hit up a support group... others can help you through this!

I only met my surgeon twice before my surgery, but I felt comfortable on the first visit. If you are questioning, and the 6 months is a requirement by your insurance then you should be able to switch to another physician. Good luck!

I only met my surgeon twice before my surgery, but I felt comfortable on the first visit. If you are questioning, and the 6 months is a requirement by your insurance then you should be able to switch to another physician. Good luck![/quote

Also I had the RNY.... Best thing I ever did for my reflux! I would go with the doc on this one. I was told by a patient who had the sleeve they had never reflexes before but after the sleeve they had it, and it was really bad.

I started out wanting the sleeve but after my endoscopy discovered some damage by reflux. I've switched to rny and am ok with it. Having to reeducate myself but I'm determined.

I too only met with my surgeon 2x prior to surgery, but was very comfortable. I'm 12 days post op RNY w/ acid reflux (which hasn't been an issue since surgery, I do still take prilosec. )

I have had every appointment with my surgeon directly- I know it varies by practice-- if you are uncomfortable with both surgeons I would suggest shopping around- you will be spending a lot of time with the practice On Your road to health- you should be able to communicate them and feel comfortable!

Edited by TMG1980TMG

I've read many stories how sleeves are having to go back and do bypass. I now know two people personally that have now had to go from sleeve to bypass due to acid reflux. Look at the amount of research there is backing one over the other. One has a handful of years while the other had many handfuls. Why do one if your going to have to go back for the other.

The top thing on every weight loss surgery requirement list is to be certain you're making the right decision for you, and that's it's being made at the right time in your life to obtain the optimum success. If you're having doubts in any area, for any reason, step back and reevaluate your position. The surgery isn't going anywhere. It will still be there once you have things more clearly figured out. Good luck!

I only met my surgeon once but I really liked her. The next time I saw her was 2 minutes before they rolled me in to the operating room and then the next day when she released me from the hospital. I really liked her though and was very comfortable with her and her staff. She operates out of the 3 different hospitals and I did change hospitals / offices mid-way through. (In the end not sure the other hospital was better, but it's done now.) BUT I will say this - you must be comfortable with your surgeon and most importantly their staff. It is the staff you will continue to work with. I have a history of shoulder problems (4 surgeries) and I wasn't comfortable with the first surgeon, but I let him do surgery on me TWICE only to have to have it finally repaired correctly by a 3rd surgeon (didn't like the 2nd one I met). The last guy was a wonderful guy and I returned to him 10 years later for repair on the other surgery and recommend him to anyone I meet with shoulder or knee issues. All to say it is very important to trust the surgeon and their staff. There is enough anxiety wrapped up in this whole thing to not question that part. All of your records will transfer - if you have to go get them yourself and carry them to a new dr.

PS - I chose bypass over sleeve because of the acid reflux. The first day I met the surgeon my reflux was BAD and I commented on it and she said she really wouldn't recommend sleeve for me because of it.

Remember that if you change surgeons, you can take your test results with you. A new surgeon will know how to get the records. The skill of the surgeon is a major factor in the quality of your recovery. Good luck. keep moving forward.

"The Candidate" is absolutely right! I had doubts and was questioning things about 5 years ago, stepped back and decided NOT to have the surgery. Last year, I WAS READY! NO doubts, no anxiety, no hesitation and I'm 7 months out and down over 90 lbs and couldn't be happier! You NEED to be 110% sure and positive going into the surgery or I fear you might not be very successful. I only met with my surgeon twice too, but met with his PA's multiple times and of course the nutritionist and behavioral therapist multiple times as well. And honestly, I haven't met too many surgeons that have any personality, so don't go by their enthusiasm or lack there of, PLEASE GO BY THEIR CREDENTIALS AND QUALIFICATIONS. Ask for references!!!! Good luck. Keep us posted on your decisions. I think everyone advising you to find a new doctor makes sense! Like someone said, the surgery will still be there, shop around! And pick the surgery that is right for YOU, not the doctor or anyone else.

I have only met my surgeon 1x and I deal mostly with the office staff. I usually email or call them weekly (I am sure they are annoyed by me, lol). I have severe acid reflux and GERD, so looking forward to seeing how RNY helps me. Good luck!

As a RN, I can tell you that the majority of surgeons are not known for their bedside manner. I'm okay with that - I want a surgeon with skill over personality ANY day of the week! I have seen so many people choose surgeons based on their personality when I wouldn't so much as allow that surgeon to remove a mole from me ???? just sayin! I know many won't agree... But I say look at the credentials, complication rate, etc... and let the numbers be your comfort. Good luck!