Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ladies! Pain Levels post-op

I had an emergency cesarean section 2 years ago... It was an awful way to birth but worth the outcome. Come to think of it I would rather vaginally birth 100 baby than have a cesarean section again. Anyway, my question is, have any other ladies that have had VSG and a cesarean share about pain levels. I'm guessing the cesarean is the more painful of the two. Thoughts? Input?

Pain for VSG is pretty minimal. You may have a bit of soreness in your abs and some pain around your incisions, but it is nothing compared to the pain of other injuries and surgeries I've had. I did have internal discomfort (not pain) when swallowing even the tiniest sip in the early days, due to swelling in my stomach and esophagus and some actual pain when overeating the first few times until I learned not to do that. Honestly though, as far as surgeries go, unless you have complications, this is pretty painless.

There is some discomfort with the VSG, and I took hydrocodone for a couple of days and slept in my lift recliner to avoid pulling on my belly muscles for a few days. Compared to two c-sections, gallbladder surgery (back when they still cut you half in two), appendectomy, knee replacements, etc - a total of twelve other operations) the VSG was the easiest recovery of all.

The worst part of my VSG was the pre-op liquid diet. It was not physically painful, but the psychological mess of breaking eating habits and finding new ways to sooth the hungry monster while still having a full-sized stretched out stomach - that was the worst part for me.

Prior to this surgery I'd had my gall bladder out (regular surgery, not laproscopic) and this wasn't nearly as painful as that was. I had discomfort when I first woke up but it eased pretty quickly. That night in my sleep I rolled over on my left side for a hot second and ouch that hurt but as soon as I rolled back it was fine. I took a total of 3 pain pills after surgery so my pain was minimal.

I had a different experience post-op than the previous posters. Perhaps it was because he repaired a large hiatal hernia he discovered while doing my VSG, but without the pain meds, my pain was very similar to my c-section pain. Be sure to take your doses of pain meds as prescribed at least the first 2 days after surgery or you will be in a world of hurt! My DF thought the dose was 2 tsp. Every 6 hours.. Well it was 2-4 TBSP every 6 hours. The pain was excruciating and brought me right back to post-op c-section.

Pain was minimal for me. It felt like I had done 100 sit ups the day before and my abs were sore. I didn't require any additional pain medicine once I woke up in recovery and thankfully had no issues with gas or cramping.

I had a different experience post-op than the previous posters. Perhaps it was because he repaired a large hiatal hernia he discovered while doing my VSG, but without the pain meds, my pain was very similar to my c-section pain. Be sure to take your doses of pain meds as prescribed at least the first 2 days after surgery or you will be in a world of hurt! My DF thought the dose was 2 tsp. Every 6 hours.. Well it was 2-4 TBSP every 6 hours. The pain was excruciating and brought me right back to post-op c-section.

I've heard similar accounts from others who have had hernia repair at the same time, so I think your pain was much more a result of that and not the VSG procedure.

My pain was mostly gas pain in my chest and back. The incisions were a little sore, but nothing bad. The pain meds made me sick so I didn't take anything after the hospital and was fine. I agree with the previous posts, this was a breeze compared to gallbladder surgery!!!

Over the years I have had two c-sections, a hysterectomy and VSG. The VSG was by far the least amount of discomfort! Pain meds and gas meds help ease any discomfort but no severe pain or long recovery involved like the c-sections. At least this was my experience...good luck!

The GAS pain is the worst part. GAS is in all caps because it IS painful and all over; shoulders, neck, chest...everywhere!!!

Nothing like my c section. I had some gas discomfort that gas x took care of and after my first day back to work (5 days post op) I had muscle soreness but tylenol took care of that.

I'm 3 days post op the hardest part for me is the gas pains. Also it is really strange feeling every sip you drink run its course. Taking it one day at a time hoping tomorrow will be better than today.

I had no pain only two pain pills...feels like your stomach muscles have been punched a few times is all.

I was one of the lucky ones who didn't have any gas pain. I did have abdominal pain. I am a wimp and took it very easy for three weeks,

Slept in a chair for two weeks and took every last drop of my pain meds. That being said, it was worth every second and the pain was not debilitating. I walked a ton, starting with waking from the recovery room stretcher into my room.

Good luck!!

I had my sleeve 5 days ago. I gave, also, had 2 c-sections, gall bladder surgery, and a total hysterectomy! Sure, I'm experiencing pain when I swallow meds or even just water! But my main pain is this awful headache! Because of all my previous abdominal surgeries, I kinda know how to maneuver myself in and out of bed or a chair, with the least amt of pain! But headaches are so foreign to me! Are any of you more recent sleeves having headaches?