Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feel the need to go "Hog Wild"

Tomorrow is the start of my liver shrinking diet. Somewhere I keep hearing this voice in the back of my head saying, "Go for it today, it's your last chance!" Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do about it? In my mind I've already planned out the menus and everything. Any last suggestions?

:unsure:

I had a whole bunch of "food funerals" the weeks before my surgery. I not only had thoughts, I actually acted. I tried to eat as many of my favorite foods as possible knowing I wouldn't be able to enjoy them for a long time after surgery. I was not a very good pre-surgery patient. Lucky for me, I was has a low BMI and my surgeon wasn't overly concerned with my pre-op diet.

I am sure that most of us had thoughts similar to yours when we were put on our liquid diets. I

actually did three weeks of liquid and was 6 lbs. heavier on surgery day. They didn't seem to mind.

I was faithful to the end. I didn't even gorge myself on my favorite foods. I was so ready to lose

weight that nothing could have tempted me. Each person is different and we all have a story to tell

post-op. You will not believe how much better you feel when the weight comes off. I don't think

there are words to describe the feeling of not being morbidly obese after so many years of being

ashamed and humiliated. Best of luck to you.

The day before my pre-op diet began was an annual picnic/cookout that all of my husband's friends from college have. I really wanted to not overdo it, but over the course of the day, I ended up eating quite a LOT and it was all junky cookout food. I just buckled down hard the next day and stuck to my pre-op diet and all was well in the end.

I think the thing that scared me into behaving was the fact that I knew my HMO could turn me down if they heard anything about me gaining pre-surgery...that as well as I kept trying to think that THAT way of thinking is what got me in the situation in the first place. But to be honest...if it means anything...diet-wise, the pre-surgery diet is the hardest, because you're expected to eat such a small amount when you still have a regular stomach!! I tried to concentrate more on the surgery itself and preparing of it than anything else...that sorta helped me!

Wishing you much success!!!

My surgeon just said "go for it!" Everything's out of your system in 24 hours. Everything was fine.

The only thing I REALLY wanted before the surgery, that I knew was going to be out the question AFTER the surgery was soda, I had to have my Coke, even though it was diet-only, I could never get enough of that stuff! Everything else I was told I could have in moderation, so there was no food-funeral, really. But I sure miss my sodas, not the taste, but the bubbles! For some reason, it is just very thirst-quenching for me. No matter how cold I have my beverages now, it just doesn't cut it. And, I miss my hard apple cider! Bubbles again! I guess a bubble bath will have to do!!!

I think you should go for it.

You will be amazed at how easy this diet becomes as you go along. Keep in the forefront of your mind. THIS IS IMPORTANT, LIFE SAVING SO THE DOCTOR WON'T NICK MY LIVER WHEN HE IS DOING THE SURGERY. This will also prepare you for the liquid diet you will need to be on after surgery. My surgeon has only lost one patient and it was because she didn't follow his instructions to the tee. She told him she followed the liquid diet before but after her death, her family told him she had eaten solid food the 2 days before her surgery. One week after her surgery she went to eat with friends to a all you can eat buffet and ate 6 oz of chicken...................it killed her......................need I say more.............

bluegrass: OMG, how can you eat after surgery? It is so hard just to drink liquid, I just can't

imagine. That is a sad story... It does happen though

I had food funerals the last couple of days before my pre-Op diet... But once I started my diet I followed it strictly. I'm a week post-op and it's easier than I expected. Enjoy your food today, but remember that you aren't giving it up forever - you will eat the foods you love again, just not for awhile... And when we do get to eat them, we'll eat much less! ????

Downsizing Annie: Amen! Couldn't have said it better myself. One day, I will be able to eat without getting sick.

Even after 4 months post op I can hardly eat, maybe two ounces of soft food and Protein Drinks. I

went with my friend to Long Horn just to get a steak. Ate one bite and got sick, but it sure did

taste good.

I'm a little over 2 weeks out-I can eat, not 6 oz of chicken.. That's insane. She probably ate more than just that I'm thinking & gorged herself-that's sad :-(

I've eaten enough food in my lifetime for SEVERAL people and I was completely ready to stop being fat. I chose to do my pre op for a month instead of the prescribed 2weeks, no food funerals.

It's my opinion that gorging on all your favorite foods will make it so much harder to stop completely. I know I was always starving for days after a food binge. That's just me, though.