Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So What Would You Tell Yourself?

I'm scheduled for surgery 3/16. As I begin to prepare for the liquid phase, hospitalization and surgery I wondered what the veterans wish they would have known ahead of time. If you could tell yourself one thing about the process, what would you say?

It will work.

I wish I had known how hungry I would be during the liquid diet and had cut back on carbs and sugars before that stage. I think that would have helped with the headaches and how awful those two weeks were! I found the surgery and such very easy but I had researched a lot before hand. Do get up and walk as soon as you can, evenug the nurse. I walked the evening of my surgery and I think it helped make my hospital stay much shorter (two days')

I tell you one thing I did that I am so glad I did! I bought new sheets for my bed and a couple of loose fitting nightgowns that were soft and warm. I found being in my own bed so much better and it really helped! I found I was getting more tired than I thought and the bed being special helped me recover fast.sleep better...

I also brought energy drinks with me to the hospital, as they don't give you anything but Jello, tea Water and horrible bouillon. I couldn't get any of it down and the energy drink (I love Isopure carb fee,,comes in good fruit flavors..not shakes, but the fruit drink) was a god send. I also brought my own robe to the hospital to wear over the gown they give you.

I found her on Youtube and I LOVE her channel!

Edited by fit4life123

Good stuff! What else folks?

The first 2-3 weeks after surgery concentrate on meeting Fluid goals not your Protein goals. Your fluids are way more important especially that 1st week after surgery. Your Protein intake will improve once you are able to get your fluid goals met.

You will wonder what you did to yourself and why in that first week post op. Remember you made the decision for surgery after much research and introspection. The feeling will pass, but it is disconcerting.

Remember to follow your plan! Keep following the plan. Protein first always! When you are stalling, when you gain, when you are wondering if you are doing the right thing ALWAYS go back to your nutrition plan. Keep following it and everything else will come.

Good luck and welcome to the loser's bench!

Thanks! Anything else?

Suck it up.

Whenever you have a nagging worry, a stall, a hunger pain, you are tired, you are frustrated, you are just plain old emotional, SUCK IT UP.

Unless it's a medical problem like a sharp pain, you are nauseated and vomiting (and I don't mean because you are sick of shakes), etc.

SUCK IT UP.

Call your doctor if you have real concerns, ask questions here, vent away, but despite what some people think WLS isn't easy. It's not all fun and games. The weight doesn't magically fall off. You will not lose 10+ pounds a month despite eating only 100 calories a day. If you eat too fast or too much, you will most likely dump and or vomit. Your tastes will change. You will get hungry. You will get grumpy. People will not notice. Too many people will notice. No one will comment. Everyone will comment. Some people will be rude. Some people will be fake nice. Some people will be jealous. It is what it is.

Suck it up, work your plan, ask your questions and be patient. This WILL work if YOU work.

LL... Can always count on you to keep it real.

In all seriousness. .. I took this WLS crap serious like a heart attack. I realize this doesn't sound supportive but sometimes when I hear people...I cannot help but think. ..what did you expect? Removing the better part of your stomach, a life giving organ would be an effing cakewalk? It is still easier than my sad state at 300# but come on peeps... SUCK IT UP!

LL and Cowgirl, I like. I've never been the type to have pity parties so your words are fine. Lol

One more bump. Anyone have anything else to add?

I weaned off of caffeine a few weeks before I started my pre-op diet. I did not do a huge food tour the week or two before the pre-op diet. I made sure I had one GOOD burger a few days before pre-op and a good chicken parmesan and a final beer the night before pre-op.

I actually started replacing lunch with a Protein shake about 4 days before and 2 meals with Protein shakes 2 days before and kinda eased into the pre-op diet. I was on a 10 day clear liquid plus 3-4 Protein Shakes a day for pre-op.

I was not hungry. I did not have the full carb withdrawal or the caffeine withdrawal since I didn't go cold turkey into the pre-op diet.