Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain with every bite...?

A friend of mine whom had a gastric bypass surgery 8 years ago totally got into my head today. She knows I am scheduled for surgery in February. She said today that still even 8 years after her surgery every bite she takes hurt her to swallow and feels almost like a heart attack. I don't know her complete surgical backstory or if she has had additional complications, but in your opinion is this normal? I would expect the pain as your healing and getting accustomed to your new digestive system, knowing how much to chew or what and when, but REALLY? Every bite even 8 years later....

Am I ready for this type of chronic pain?

Being able to get sleeved is such a blessing and I know it's going to require great sacrifice but I feel like right now I need a reminder that it'll be worth it.

I would say that you friend's situation is definitely not normal. I was sleeved September 2013 and have no issues with eating or swallowing causing me pain, unless I eat rapidly and do not not chew thoroughly. Follow your surgeon's advice for progressing through food stages, do not try to progress too quickly and if something does not agree with your new stomach give it a week and try the food again.

I had issues in the beginning with eating too quickly and with advice from someone on this forum, I downloaded an app "eat slower" and that helped me.

Good luck with your sleeve surgery. This best decision I have ever made.

If it hurts, I don't eat it... but I would say that 7 out of 10 things don't hurt. The other 3 are some kind of bread.< /p>

Sounds like your friend has some type of stricture. I would take that to a GI guy and have it scoped, because there are ways to fix that!

Morning

I would say she has a Hiatal Hernia and should go get it checked. This is what happened to me BEFORE the surgery. When I had the sleeve performed, they fixed the hernia and absolutely NO PAIN at all when swallowing.

I had my sleeve in November 2014 and the first few weeks, I will say were tough. The first few DAYS were tough, but if you read people's posts, everyone had those issues and were gone within a few days to a week.

Relax, everyone is different. It is a hugh life change and if you have the spirit to have this procedure, you will be fine.

Annamarie

I'm so glad I found this forum you guys and gals are amazing.

I also have a friend who had RNY and he suffers from a LOT of complications--pain, dumping whenever he eats vegetables, etc. I feel awful for him, but I think it's important to remember that RNY is a completely different surgery and that his (and your friend's, probably) were performed by completely different surgeons. I mean, I wouldn't be saying "OMG! My grandfather had a ruptured appendix and he almost died during surgery!" if you were talking about gallbladder surgery, right? Be as informed as you can, and remember that there are complications. But hopefully you won't have any of them!

Swallowing and WLS are 2 different things. Sounds like she's having some esophageal problems, not stomach. She needs to consult her doctor!

I think your friend has other issues going on and should consult her doctor.

DO NOT let her experience change your mind or affect your decision to move forward with your surgery for YOUR health's sake.

My surgery was in November, I encountered some complications afterward and didn't really get to start adjusting to my new stomach until after 12/6. I've been tolerating all foods rather well. The only discomfort I experience is when I eat or drink anything too fast or eat more than my new stomach can hold. I'm still learning to chew, chew, chew, and to sip beverages slowly, no matter how much I would love to drink 2-4 oz. of good, cold Water at one time. :)

Just adding my voice to the chorus. Your friend's issues are not typical at all. I had zero issues or pain in the hospital and since being home. No issues with swallowing and can tolerate anything I eat.