Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery was on 1/12/15

I had Surgery on Monday and I'm still in pain. Is this common? I have bad gas pains throughout my chest and shoulders. Does anyone have any advice for they pain? How long are you in pain for?

If it's truly just gas pains, then yes it's common. Best thing you can do besides use Gas-x strips is walk. Walk and walk and walk as much as you can. Don't over do it, but walking will help move the gas where it needs to go. I was miserable and I could hear the rumbling like a diesel engine in my abdomen for almost two weeks after surgery.

If you think you are having pains that aren't normal or caused by gas, then you should probably call your doctor. You can't be too careful and any advice you receive on here is nothing compared to what your doctor has to say.

Edited by beachgurl84

YES very common, you'll be much better in about 7 days or so.... in the meantime, make sure you walk walk walk walk, it's TRULY the only thing that helps. Good Luck! You'll feel better in no time and your pounds will begin to slide off.

My Advice because that is where my gas pain was...........WALK WALK WALK....................It actually moves the gas around and pain disappears quicker

Tamaramauro the gas is the worst. Mine lasted almost 2 weeks every time I'd try to even blow dry my hair it would creep up into my shoulders and hurt so bad. Every day gets better and better and the more you move the better you feel. Hang tight the best had yet to come. ..~T~

Edited by kcntc4ever

Gas is bad...lol

I had surgery on the same date as you. I still have some gas pain and I can feel it. But walking really helped me. I also think it's just a question of time, I can constantly hear my stomach rumbling. I hope that goes away!

Thanks. It's great to have such a wonderful support group. The pain is a killer in the left shoulder. I'm starting to realize that it's at certain times of the day.

I look forward to getting on the scale everyday. I'm down 15 pounds from my 7 day pre op diet to now - 10 days to date. Thanks for all your support

Edited by tamaramauro

I too had the same date as you and the walking did really help. I don't have the gas pains any longer and I'm just sore at my incision site. Yes the constant walking does really help and if anything make sure you don't over do it and drink as much as you can! Good luck.