Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm done telling folks. They don't get it

I told my sister. I wasn't going to, but she was trying to convince me to buy a new bread machine (that makes homemade noodles! OH BOY! I really need more bread and noodles!) I told her, don't need it, doubt I'll be making any bread or noodles for a long time, if ever again. She said..."WHAT?! ANOTHER DIET?!!" "HOW long will this one last???". I told her about my decision to have gastric sleeve surgery. THEN out of her mouth came........."EWWWWW!! Have you thought that through??" um, yeah, I didn't just wake up this morning and say...hmmm I think I'll have major surgery to remove 85% of my stomach sometime after the first of the year. Note to self. Don't tell anyone else.

Agreed. Unless someone has walked in your shoes, they just won't understand.

Yep..I'm not telling either. People are nosey and I'm private, about everything, not just surgery. When I had to put my time off work on the calendar, my ONE Co worker was genuinely concerned and just had to ask what I was having done. I said id rather not discuss it but part of it was fixing the severe hiatal hernia that had been causing my mysterious chest pain for the last 3 years. But my boss and Co worker know that it is to be kept private that even my family does not know. Work wouldn't know but since there is only one person picking up my slack while I'm gone, I felt it only appropriate that they know I was out for surgery.

Edited by downsizingdiva

I made the mistake of telling my mom...Oh boy....that was a mistake. People dont understand how it is to want to and have to eat ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME...

I'm pretty open about my surgery. It's my choice. They don't have To like it. I usually ask them same question back... Have YOU thought about it. Do you know what it takes do you know what ive dealt with to get to this point. Usually shuts them up or opens up to actually have an open conversation. :)

I'm awaiting my insurance approval and surgery date. I wasn't going to tell my sisters but I decided to and they have been very supportive???? one of my sisters asked if she could have my jeans after I lost weight. This waiting has got me on edge though!

@@lose2winagain That is awesome that you have your sisters support. I just believe that since my sister has never, in her entire life, ever had a weight problem. I'm sure that when she sees me I probably disgust her. In her mind I am clearly a big fat nobody who has no self control and no drive to improve my health or appearance. Which is all untrue. These "diet" corporations have so much of my hard earned money! I have gotten thin a couple times in my life, it just never lasted long. My big clothes will be donated to the bariatric hospital for people in transitional sizes. I hope I will be able to help someone out in some way. This surgery just can't happen soon enough for me. I am ready for this to happen today, but dang insurance co! I must wait till 1-2-15 to enroll in the bariatric program to ensure everything is done by the book, so no reason to deny anything because I didn't follow a rule. Sorry, done ranting. (The waiting is tough, I agree!) Have a great day!

Just keep in mind that you are doing tjis surgery for your health above anything else. You've made your decision so don't let other people (especially family) members discourage you. They'll frown upon you when your obese and still frown upon you once you decide to do something about it. Keep your eye on the prize☆

I don't tell people unless it comes up or it interferes with scheduling and the like. I'm lucky to have a super supportive family and group of friends, and a friend who has gone through sleeving recently. The coolest was when I told one of my best friends (who is almost through med school with a specialty in surgery) and she had a completely normal - almost bored - reaction to it. She understood that it was the right thing for me and that it's normal if I want to change my life. It was the best.

I have been quizzed relentlessly from coworkers about the various surgeries they think I've had and I just say nope and carry on with the work related discussion that preceded the change in topic. They all know I was out for surgery last May, they know I've had various health issues so keep trying to dig.

For the weightloss I just keep saying its a Dr and nutritionist supervised diet/lifestyle change because I was having so many health issues all different - yet related. Period. That's all they get from me. One lady at work confronted me and said I sure as heck hope you didn't have your stomach cut out as that's taking it too far. I jut walked away. She came back later and apologized and then said I am glad to see you are losing weight the healthy way...WTF

Carry on ... I tell no one, this is my business only. My husband and kids know. No other family either. It's just so much easier to not have to deal with their criticisms. Just need to be happy with your choice and work with your tool. I know I am thrilled with my new view point wishing you well with the upcoming NEW year!

Not everyone will understand your decision it one you made to better yourself so don't let them judge you for making a great decision. I didn't tell anyone except my mom sister and dad. You have to pick your battles and that one I wasn't ready to fight so I kept it to my self and very immediate family all the people around me know is I went on a strict diet.