Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

unable 2 work 12hrs postop without exhaustion...Need suggestions

I'm due to return to work next week but I have just stat having issues with exhaustion. Does anyone have any suggestions? I work in the hospital and I'm on my feet constantly, at least 10 - 10.5 hours out the day. I usually get 30 min lunch if I'm lucky and on busy days I keep Protein Bars in my pockets for Snacks. I was sleeved 10/1, I'm getting in 64+ oz of Water daily, 60-75g of Protein and 500-700cals, usually closer to 500, and I'm using Celebrate Bariatric Multivitamin and Calcium plus But lately I get extremely exhausted, where I have to lay down and take a nap mid day. I know this will not be an option when I return to work. Any suggestions?

Not sure, have an apt with my surgeon today.

Ohh Hun the only thing you need is rest and more rest .... I took 3 weeks off after and I was only just coming right after that time ... Good luck :-)

You may have to take a few more days off. I would suggest more protein-hope that helps.

Sounds like you're doing everything right. I too would suggest extending by a few days. I had my surgery a day before yours (on 9/30) and I hit my exhaustion wall about 2.5 wks after my surgery. It lasted for a few days but I was in bed most of the time. Lots of luck.

Hopefully your doctor today will understand your need for additional rest. I certainly understand income, as some of us don't get paid unless we go to work. If that is an issue, or even if it's not, if you HAVE to go back to work, at lease ask for a modified duty schedule/routine....e.g. one hour on the floor - one hour off. Or, two hours on the floor and two hours off. Or, a half day of work for a week. Best suggestion is to push for, at least, another week off.

Feeling hopeful for you...

Hi. I'm an ER RN and work busy 12 hour shifts. I'm not going back to work until I'm 6 weeks post op. Dr's orders! There's no way I could make it right now with the way I work. I have 2 more weeks before I return. I was sleeved 9/30.

Great news!

GREAT NEWS!!!! Doc gave me 2 more weeks off. I'm so grateful, thx for everyone support. You guys are great!

I also work in a hospital and if I don't feel strong enough I am thinking of working shorter shifts for a week or two--they said if I want I can split a shift with the on-call!

That's great! I'm very nervous about how I'm going to handle the 12 hours when I go back at 6 weeks. It's going to be rough!

I no what u.mean AlanRN my boss still suggest that I come back light duty when I return, at least for two weeks.

:( My surgery is on Monday November 24th, and I have to go back Wednesday of the following week. :wacko:

Total 9 days including surgery day!!