Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am almost 4 weeks post op and to be frank, it's been a nightmare. First, an abscessed incision site (it is healing well though). Then I was re-hospitalized for dehydration because I couldn't swallow anything, not even Water. They did an GI endoscopy and found an ulcer and stricture while I was in the hospital. After 8 days they released me to go home under a division of home health care. So for 12 hours a day my Picc line is connected to TPN (IV nutrition) and I also get IV fluids daily.

I can't eat or drink anything or I get extremely nauseous. But in all fairness I get extremely nauseous if the nausea meds wear off in general. My fiancé has to push IV Zofran every 4 hours (even at night) and I also have to take benedryl because I'm having allergic reactions (hives, itchiness, sweats) to the Zofran. Unfortunately at this point I don't have a choice because of the high level of nausea I am experiencing.

I am so discouraged. This is by far the sickest I've ever been in my life and I feel like I did it to myself. They are going to try and open up the stricture on the 30th, but with my intense symptoms, it feels like an eternity away.

I cry a lot and wish I had never had the RNY. It's not that I didn't realize possible complications, but I don't think anyone can quite be ready for the toll they may take on your mind and body.

I am at a loss right now...

dear angela,

you are an injured warrior in a battle for your LIFE...not your life. AND you are winning! each moment brings you closer to your own victory parade. give your guy a big hug, kiss, handshake, pat on the head, from all of us out here who appreciate our support troops and the part they play in our victories. just wait until you start celebrating your non scale victories. my big one right now is that I weigh less than my husband for the first time in our 29 yrs/9 mo. together. he is my tall, skinny toyboy and I love and appreciate him truly more every day. I am 4.5 months roux-en y post op and have lost 58 pounds. I am 73...well, really 17 yrs old, can barely walk, thus a slow loser. being a slow loser gives my skin a better chance to be firmer which is a positive.

this really is a "onder"ful adventure

blessings,

Karen in the getting colder woods of Alaska

I think everybody knows complications can happen, they just never expect them to happen to them. I am sorry that you are one of the few to get any. I am just starting on my journey and very much appreciate people like you telling your story, the good, the bad, the ugly. Hearing it all makes it feel more real, and makes me weigh my decision that much more. I hope you have a speedy recovery and feel better soon. :) I look forward to seeing you continue on your journey.

~Jen

Where did you have your surgery done? It seems unreasonable to have to wait until 9/30 for surgical help. That being said, things will get better. There are a few times I agree with the statement "I fell like I did it to myself"; but when you start gaining control and reaping the benefits, you'll realize you did it FOR yourself. Best wishes.

I am so sorry that you are experiencing such problems. Sending you hugs and prayers your way.

I am also almost 4 weeks out from RNY. I also had complications and questioned myself on having the surgery. It didn't feel worth it at first. While I still am having troubles, the scales are showing me a good look at how this surgery has helped, even though it's been difficult. I know things will get better! I'm proud of you! It's going to be so worth it in the end :-)

Angela - Just hang in there. You won't be this way forever. I too had issues with my surgery. I went home on day 3 after surgery. My taste buds had changed so much that Water tasted bad. I could not get down any of the Protein shakes either. 4 days later back in the ER dehydrated and spent 5 days in ICU. I had lost 17 pounds after surgey but by the time they loaded me down with IV fluids I had gained 22 pounds back. More than what I weighed the day of surgery. I am just now 6 weeks Post-Op and have finally lost the 22 pounds.

I choose to have the surgery because of my type 2 diabetes and I wanted it to go away. But luck would have it that instead of it going away it gave me type 1 diabetes. I am like some rare percentage of people this happens to. So my weight is coming off very slow. I am sure it has to do with my blood sugars but we are working on controling them with 2 types of insulin and medications. The Dr. is hopeful that the more I lose the better they will get.

I know this seems like a set back but your body needs time to heal. Just be patient and think positive. It will get better. We all go through the regret of surgery at some point and it's totally normal. Good Luck.

Dear Angela,

I will be praying for you. As one with non specific auto immune disorders and Lupus, I am so sorry you are going through this. Please know that your support network cares about you!

I too, thing 9/30 is too late….seek help now, be it through an ER or Urgent Care.

Praying for you,

C

First of all, thanks to everyone with words of encouragement. This is definitely a tough road and every little bit helps.

I went to my 4 week post op appointment today and had quite the meltdown. But, the nurse practionier was able to get my next endoscopy moved up to the 24th instead of the 30th. Thank goodness!!!

She also changed around my nausea medicine so that my fiancé is not having to push IV meds in my Picc line every 4 hours. Neither of us have slept well in almost a week now because of the IV meds so this will also be a blessing if my nausea stays in check.

So, although I am still having issues, hopefully the worst is behind me. I am trying very hard to mentally keep myself together because everything seems much worse when you're upset.

Keeps the good vibes coming....