Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I'm on day 3 of my 2 week Liquid Protein diet and it's terrible. I'm nauseous, light-headed and headachy. This always happens to me when my blood sugar gets too low and it has me doubting my ability to be successful at my surgery. I get that I won't be as hungry etc... But am I going to feel this way after as well? It's not even about being hungry...it's about the low blood sugar symptoms. Am I missing something? Has anyone had this experience? I just sent my NUT an email asking for help but it's after hours so I won't hear back today. Thanks in advance.

Edited by I will what I want

The first few days of the liquid diet can be a little rough. Your body is still used to having all the stuff you typically eat. It's kinda like detox if you will. Your body is going into carb/caffeine/waste withdrawals. Usually day 4-5 on are easier. It still sucks a little but you find that you have a little more energy. Either way make sure you follow up with your primary care physician or surgery staff.

Best of Luck!

It gets better! Before long you will not be hungry. Have you tried the popsickles? They were and are a huge blessing to me! I have not been hungry at all post sleeve. I am 3 weeks2 days postop. You can do this!!!!

This is probably the hardest part because it is very much like a detox. Hang in there...don't let this part of it deter you from your goals.

The first few days are the most difficult. Detox is right but also make sure the shake you're having isn't disagreeing with you -- I can't tolerate sucralose or other artificial sweeteners so had to beta different shake than the one provided by the nutritionist. Drink a lot of Water, too -- flush out those toxins. I was very happy to know that for the first time the weight I was losing would not be coming back. The band took care of that. Make lists of what you want from this surgery. Your dreams, goals. Write yourself a letter to be opened later. Go for a walk -- exercise will help so much post-op. Start now, a little more each day. Stay busy, get good sleep and be prepared for a lot of energy coming your way as your system clears. You are doing this for you and you can do it!

The thing about low blood sugar and the symptoms that you get from it is something to look out for. Yes you are on a liquid diet and your going to be for some time even after surgery. The key to avoiding those low blood sugar dips is to be consistent and keep yourself on a time schedule.

When I went through pre-op and then post op diet I had a schedule and I kept to it. So after the first couple of days my body was used to the fact that I was going to have a shake at 9am and then drink some Water by 10 and by 11 I would be giving it something sustaining again either a shake or SF/FF pudding or Greek yogurt and in between I would be hydrating. So my tummy was always having something in it and when I need to "bite" something I would have a piece of sugar free gum to get that chewing feeling in.

You can do this and once you have your surgery you will be able to modify the schedule according to what your WLS dictates. If your not hungry you won't eat. If your feeling hungry or blood sugar is low you will and it will be just enough and those issues will regulate and not be something to focus on anymore.

Good luck, You can do this!

First off DETOX is a myth made up by naturalpaths. One's liver does a very good job keeping toxins out of your blood. For example, I just lost over 80 in a couple of months. If my fat cells were so full of the toxins as the natural non-science crowd says. I would be dead or close to it. As someone else said drink lots of Water and you will adapt to the pre-op diet.

First off DETOX is a myth made up by naturalpaths. One's liver does a very good job keeping toxins out of your blood. For example, I just lost over 80 in a couple of months. If my fat cells were so full of the toxins as the natural non-science crowd says. I would be dead or close to it. As someone else said drink lots of Water and you will adapt to the pre-op diet.

My friend DETOX is not a myth. When you change your diet and eliminate things like artificial by products and processed foods and meats nd other things your body is VERY much going through a detox.

A person who is clearing their system from something as simple as sugar can experience the symptoms of a person detoxing from heroine.

We are not naturalpaths, that are anti- scientific we are just educated on what our bodies are going through as we make changes to our diet. Our bodies adapt to the changes in our environment and that includes the things we choose to pollute it with. It's not that our bodies are full of toxins it's just that they are used to a certain intake of the drug we call food and overeating it.

During the pre-op diet you are cleansing, and removing these items from your diet and your system, and your liver is shrinking as the fat that is in it and around it is finally able to metabolize and be released. Now this is scientific fact for you. If you are adding fatty foods, sugary foods, in your diet your liver is being drowned and destroyed by them. An obese person can have cirrhosis of the liver even if they never had a drink in their life time just from the over consumption of food and being obese.

Do a bit of research before you think that the symptoms of detox are only a myth made up by people looking for an excuse for how they are feeling. What they are feeling is real and has science to back it up.

Oh OP I could have written your post. I'm on day 4 of 10 and seriously finding myself worried about life post op. The thought of feeling like this for 6 more weeks is terrifying. I'm starting to find my groove though. I have a double Protein shake in the morning, a single in the afternoon and either a double or single at night. I constantly sip Water, have 2-3 sugar free jellos, about 2 cups of broth and one popsicle a day. The last two days I've stuck to that, I've felt satiated. It's still hard in the afternoon and when coming Breakfast and dinner for the kids.

We WILL get through this though! This isn't indefinite and the reward is so going to be worth it!

Oh OP I could have written your post. I'm on day 4 of 10 and seriously finding myself worried about life post op. The thought of feeling like this for 6 more weeks is terrifying. I'm starting to find my groove though. I have a double Protein shake in the morning, a single in the afternoon and either a double or single at night. I constantly sip Water, have 2-3 sugar free jellos, about 2 cups of broth and one popsicle a day. The last two days I've stuck to that, I've felt satiated. It's still hard in the afternoon and when coming Breakfast and dinner for the kids.

We WILL get through this though! This isn't indefinite and the reward is so going to be worth it!

Hey Lexibell, just wanted you to know that I tried the double Protein idea and it helped a lot. My surgeon also let me have a little real food so I wouldn't be so shaky. I had surgery in the 22nd and it is much easier to live on the liquid Protein diet afterwards than before. Just wanted to let you know you helped! Also, thanks to all who chimed in with support. This is quite a journey and I appreciate everyone who steps up to support each other on these boards. Peace and love to all!