Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 days post op...need some advice

I have had a great post op. Get hungry some. Can't tolerate the Protein Shake (gastric distress big time). Been depending on Greek yogurts, cream Soups, pudding, Jello. I know I am not getting enough Protein. Any suggestions for more protein.

Also trying to use yogurts and soups as 3 meals. Then drink Water after waiting 30 minutes. I can't tell if I am full or not. When do you know?

I loved egg drop Soup. eggs are high in Protein and you can also use egg beaters. But real eggs are still the best.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-egg-drop-soup-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-159379

Full is not what we look for. If you're full you've probably eaten too much. You look for satiety. Not being hungry for 4-5 hours is where the green zone is.

But, if you're only 10 days post op it's unlikely you'll have much restriction/satiety at this point so you'll continue to be hungry till you get the fill or fills that give you enough satiety to not be hungry. Took me 4 months and 3 fills. Good luck.

tmf

I am almost 2 weeks out and was told by my physician that after the first week, I could eat anything that can be mashed through a fork. This includes foods like scrambled eggs, ground beef, ground turkey, even cold cuts. There are many options if you have been given similar guidelines.

I go back to my doctor for the first time on Monday. I hope to be able to start with some more solid foods. I amscared that I will eat too much or not know when to stop. Is there a feeling you get?

I go back to my doctor for the first time on Monday. I hope to be able to start with some more solid foods. I amscared that I will eat too much or not know when to stop. Is there a feeling you get?

Thank you 2muchfun for the recipe. Looks great!

I had my band put in on 8/26 and yes... There is a feeling. Lol! I was very surprised when I felt it. I was told not to eat more than a dice full at a time. Chew for 30 seconds, then wait a minute before you eat more. Stop as soon as you aren't hungry which is very soon after you start. Well, there was no way I could go by those rules after being on liquids for a week. So I did well the first bite. Then the second spoonful got a little bigger... and faster... then the third I learned my lesson. I felt almost like a knot in my chest and I was lucky it didn't come back up after I quickly drank Water. Then I felt comfort so I assumed it slipped down. It has happened a few times since then so I am reminded to slow down and chew. And chew some more.

Thanks. At least i know there is something to watch for. I had my band put on 8/28 so you are just two days ahead of me. Can't wait to actually chew!! Good luck to us!!

Thanks. At least i know there is something to watch for. I had my band put on 8/28 so you are just two days ahead of me. Can't wait to actually chew!! Good luck to us!!

npuente has more restriction than most and it could be from swelling from the surgery, her surgeon primed the band during surgery or she's one of the lucky ones who get restriction from the start.

When you have restriction, and most new patients don't have restriction, eating too fast or too big can cause food to gather in front of the stoma/band. Eating too fast will then make more food back up into your esophagus. This can cause slime/sliming or a stuck episode.

Not everyone will experience this till they've had a few fills. If your stoma is wide open you may not feel anything at all. You may be able to eat till the cows come home. But for most banders, you won't feel any restriction, satiety or any feeling that you've eaten enough until you get a fill or three. jmo

tmf

I did not have Protein goals post-surgery.....my body naturally wants protein. I listen to that but I don't try to "get in" a certain amount of anything. But that's just me. I eat really well already and have a good understanding of nutrition -- this will be unpopular but I think as a culture we are way too obsessed with protein. Look at the average amount an American eats for beef, milk, etc. -- and look at our health problems compared to other cultures.

My nutritionist advised me of 20/20/20. 20 mouthful, chew 20 times and take 20 minutes to eat. I start purée on Wednesday and so looking forward to it. I can honestly say, I haven't been hungry once on the liquid diet but I'm getting sick of Soup pretty quickly!

liquids for the first 2 weeks, purée (1/2 cup serving) for the next 2 weeks, soft diet for 1 week, week 6 is try normal foods again. My Dr told me that he has fitted a very small band.

I have puréed my vegies and placed them in the freezer in serving sizes required, will cook my when ready to eat. Will purée my own fruit when needed.

It's really interesting in reading how each of us is different.. I am not game to do anything that I shouldn't. I drank a little to much milk coffee (suggested in eating plan) and I had 6 hours of heaving my guts up, let me tell you, that won't be happening again, I thought I was dying!!

Bring on week 3!

Edited by MrsNLB

Walgreens sells two gulp Protein Shots. 40grams in two gulps!

"I drank a little to much milk coffee (suggested in eating plan) and I had 6 hours of heaving my guts up, let me tell you, that won't be happening again, I thought I was dying!!"

Mrs. Nlb

You might want to let your surgeon know this happened. Full on heaving/hurling can cause the stitches holding the band in place to tear away causing the band to change it's position?

tmf

Thank you, I catch up with the surgeon this week, I will let him know