Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

I have an interesting problem. I currently see a nurse practitioner for my annual check-ups and arthritis medication. When I began exploring the idea of weight loss surgery, etc. I brought it up to her and she was not supportive at all. She said to drink slimfast an exercise. So I began seeing a different doctor and he helped me with my journey. I seen him for close to two years and he helped me through the process of preparation, paperwork, etc. The only thing he did for me was help me with that one area of my life where my nurse practitioner would not. I do not see that doctor anymore as he has moved and does not practice here anymore. I still see my nurse practitioner and recently I went in for my annual physical and had blood work done. Well she called me today and apparently my hemoglobin is 9 and it should be 12 and I am anemic. She thinks i may be bleeding somewhere. She is setting me up for an upper GI and a colonioscapy (sp)

Well here is where it gets tricky - She does not know I had the lap band surgery. I have never had any problems, etc. and she is going to find out now that I need to have these tests done. I do not think my issues are band related as I have never had any issues with my band, etc. but I have had more reflux than normal lately. I do not know why I never told her - I guess because she never was interested in helping me with my weight loss issues.

I have contacted my surgeon and made an appointment to speak with him regarding the results from the blood work, etc.

So how do I tell her about my band?

Banded in Bear Lake :(

You say, "i got the lap band in ______" dont put an ng tube in me & make the appropriate notes in my chart. Thanks!"

dont let her or anyone make you feel like you cant speak truth or have to feel awkward or nervous. If she cant be professional enough to treat you respectfully, wtite a complaint. No worries on yoyr end though! Have you been taking your Iron supplement???

You don't owe her excuses or explanations, but don't risk your band. She probably won't be the one scoping you if that's what they choose to do. Talk to whoever that person is.

Honesty is the best approach. Either tell her or when she asks about it, tell her. If she questions why you did it and never told her, tell her that you felt WLS was necessary and she wasn't very supportive and brushed you off with a wave of her hand.

You never know, she may have been having a bad day that day. But don't be intimidated because she has a degree. My PCP tried to help me and gave me some stupid print outs that just mimicked the FDA's nutritional guidelines. He was clueless.

Most of these PCPs, nurse practitioners and PAs have lots of experience diagnosing the flu, pinkeye and women's issues, but lack experience or knowledge in how to help people lose weight and keep it off.

tmf

Thank you. I feel better about the situation. I have not told many people about being banded as I do not want to deal with being judged. I was not taking Iron supplements, which I began yesterday, I think I am going to request possibly an Iron transfusion and try that before I have tons of tests done, which I cannot afford. I did speak with my surgeon, WLS doctor, and he suggested that I have the test repeated and if I was having no band related issues I did not need to come in.

The diagnosis of being anemic does answer a lot of questions as I was tired, no energy, etc. I just chalked it up to working, weather, etc. But as far as the hemoglobin, i have no idea how to handle that. My WLS doctor suggested possible iron infusions as opposed to shots, which are painful. I would like to try that first and see if my hemoglobin goes up and stays up before racking up tons of medical bills.

Thank you for the comments.

Banded in Bear Lake

I recently saw my nurse practitioner -- actually I think she is a PA now -- who I love. I hadn't told her about the band, even though I started research a year ago and have had it seven months now. I used a surgeon at the same hospital but didn't need to run it by the family medicine department so I didn't. Had enough appointments through general surgery as it was! My reason for not tellimg her is that I wanted to lose a ton of weight and surprise her. Silly, huh? We never discussed WLS but she has been privy to my struggles with dieting, etc., for years and years.

Recently I went in to talk about arthritis flare-ups and she was thrilled to see me down 50 pounds and so happy (except for the arthritic pain!). She kept shaking her head and smiling. I told her I would highly recommend lapband to others, that it's been such a great experience for me. She was surprised I went for surgery because I'm an alternative type, health-food-ish, etc., but she is so happy for me. I'm sure your nurse practitioner will be, too. The relationship is so important, and they need to know everything so they can make the right recommendations for next steps, etc.

Speaking of arthritis, surgeons differ on NSAIDS -- mine has no prohibition but I am still nervous about taking them for arthritis pain. I discussed it with my nurse practitioner/PA and she agrees with me, not my surgeon, so it was very important to have her in the loop. She out me on a new non-NSAID medication which I am hoping will alleviate the arthritic pain. So far I think I am noticing less pain, even on a rainy changeable day like this one.

Don't forget you're the patient, you're the customer. It's your body and they are there to help you keep it well. Best wishes!

Thank you Bandista, that is a different take on it. I was thinking she would be upset for not being in the loop and seeing another physician. I did not look at it for the aspect of feeling better and all the benefits that have happened since i was banded. Maybe (hopefully) she will feel glad instead of the reaction I was expecting.

I have osteoarthritis so I take one pill (mobic) a day (so far).

Thank you again

Banded in Bear Lake