Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hotel Breakfast

On vacation right now and just have to gripe. Last vacation, there was a nice free continental Breakfast. I could eat my small measly egg whites (special ordered as they usually only have yolks on the buffet) and bacon. Nice little Protein packed Breakfast.

This time, when I'm on vacation, the breakfast is $10 for all you can eat. I tried asking the server if there was some sort of a la carte option. I explained that I had weight loss surgery and couldn't eat that much. She asked me to clarify and I asked about some egg whites and bacon. At first she was like sure we can get you some egg whites and the bacon is at the buffet. So I asked would that still be the $10 price? She said yes. I said that defeats the purpose of small a la carte ideas. I know it's just $10 but then with the tip it's more like $12 for eating maybe $2-3 worth of food. So I left frustrated. Why do hotels do this as their only option? I do not understand the hotel game. Cheaper daily rates and then charge for parking and breakfast, but others have all that included and it's a similar rate / similar quality rooms. Sigh. Just frustrated and venting.

We were just at a hotel the other night. My mode now is to get Greek yogurts and out them in the fridge for morning, or if there's no fridge on ice in the ice bucket or sink. If it freezes a little it is absolutely delicious. Have fun on your vacation!

That's smart!

Maybe the restaurant wasn't able or willing to negotiate a lower price, but possibly if you brought your receipt to the hotel desk or concierge prior to checkout, they could make a small adjustment/credit to your bill there. Oftentimes it's just the person you deal with, and how much power in the company they have to make exceptions. For instance, another server might have just "looked the other way" and not charged you personally at all if you were with your family... like not bothering to charge a toddler who only ate four bites of his mom's plate... You know?

I throw away a lot of food since the surgery. I hate left overs. I just figured its worth the cost. If I weren't throwing it away, I'd be eating it and I'd be huge. Either way, I'd be spending the money, just happier this way. I like the yogurt idea. Something I might try. Just make sure I always get a room with microwave and fridge and I can have yogurt and bacon.

Look at it this way....you're griping the way a thin person would. I think that's marvelous. I bet they get annoyed to have to pay high prices for very little food as well. ;)

This is one of the things that has made us fat... feeling like we have to eat our "moneys worth". Buffets are terrible.

This is one of the things that has made us fat... feeling like we have to eat our "moneys worth". Buffets are terrible.

You are so right. I've given them up totally. They are what I use to search for and now totally avoid.

So, now, I might search out hotels "without the breakfast". You pay more for these hotels and if you have a way of having your own breakfast, you get the best of both worlds.

I happened to bring some deli meat and cheese for snack for the trip so that was my breakfast. I like the yogurt idea!! The whole perception of value is definitely interesting. Free continental breakfast and not eating that much is a better value to me than paying $10 for a buffet that I barely eat... Even if the room is $10 more expensive.

Edited by kimk1999

I pack instant oatmeal, fruit, and get individual greek yogurt cups. I carry a small cooler and fill it with a bag of ice if the room doesn't have a fridge. Earlier out, I brought my shaker cup, vanilla Protein powder and Starbucks instant Via Decaf. Makes a great room temp drink with lots of Protein.

I still like buffets because I can have a little bite of so many things. And usually includes the drink. So I drink a cup of coffee first, then eat a little of several protein and fruits and finish with a little grain. But I wouldn't pick a buffet on my own, that's just if I'm eating with others.

Lynda

I'm going to Southern Cali in a ten days to spend some time w/my son (in the USMC at Camp Pendleton) and meet his girl. I looked for a hotel near the beach, that serves a free hot Breakfast (loves eggs) and has a microwave and a fridge in the room. My first stop after I check in will be to find a Walmart (already looked - just a few miles from my hotel) where I plan to buy a weeks worth of Greek yogurt, a small bag of chopped pecans to mix in, Atkins choc shakes, canned turkey chili, some Lunchables, and a case of bottled Water. I'll be bringing my own Quest bars. We'll probably eat out a few times but for the most part that's all I'll need. I'm pretty cheap to feed nowadays! :-)