Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Op Complications???

Hi! I am pre-op and wondered if anyone would like to share any post-op complications they might have experienced. I am trying to learn as much as I can about lap banding. Have a great day today - the sun is finally shining in Erie PA.:clap2: :) :biggrin1:

Hello! I was banded on March 20. Evidently my band slipped shortly after surgery. For three days I couldn't even swallow my own spit! I had surgery again on the 23 and now things are fine. I don't ever want to feel that way again.

kuebel j

I'm sorry to hear about your slip so shortly after surgery! Did they say what caused it? Hope your feeling better.

shelli, I stayed overnight in the hospital and was glad the Dr. required it. I just felt the IV drugs helped me get more pain relief and rest.

My only complaint is shoulder pain....NOT gas pain but when my stomach was still swollen and if I drank too fast, or too much at once the pain that would radiate up to my left shoulder was terrible. I've heard others on the forum complain about it. My Dr. looked at me like I was crazy while explaining it. Now that I'm back to normal feeling, it only hurts when I hick-up.

And when I bend over on my right side to tie my shoes or pick something up, I can feel my port squishing into my gut.

Nothing major.

Remember, it's all different for everyone.

Good Luck

No complications at all other than some hearburn that began about 4 months out.....when I began broadening my horizons with my foods, I think. I'm now on Protonic, have cut out the SF dark chocolate, have cut back on my arthritis meds and when I do take one I crush it. Other than that....life is wonderful!!

Hi kuebel j, demsvmejm, and gayletx!!! Thanks for the replies. kuebel j I am sorry to hear that your band slipped but I am really glad to hear that you are feeling better!!!

Demsvmejm I have heard alot about that gas pain. It is very common and you were wise to stay in the hospital overnight. Many of our lapbanders go home the same day but i hope I can stay over one night. The insurance pays for two to three I think.

Gayle TX - What is Protonic???

Shelli16465 I am from your area! :clap2: You are the first person I have ran across that is somewhat local to me. I live outside of Warren but am from Erie. I have my preop consult on April 12th with Dr. Ali at Hamot. What doctor are you planning on going to?

Hi badonkadonkbutt!!! I am from Fairview!!! I go to Dr. Ali at Hamot! He is awesome!!! I started this process back in late August 06. I just completed my six months of diet with my family doctor and now am waiting to hear if I am approved and when they will schedule my surgery. I thought I would have the surgery in at the end of March but i have not heard anything for 3 weeks now. Now I am hoping for April. Have you been to any of the support group meetings. I really recommend these as you learn something new every time. There is a lap band support meeting the second Wednesday in April.

You will love Dr. Ali - he is such a gentlemen!!!

Great to meet you - will keep you posted as to my surgery date.

He is really nice! I went to my first support group meeting last month and learned so much. I have my pre-op consult with him on April 12th (next week!! I am so excited). I have almost all of my insurance requirements met except I have to lose 5% of my weight but can't start that until I meet with him on the 12th and I need 1 more visit to have my 6 PCP weight loss visits in. He seems to be so caring, I really already feel comfortable with him. Do you go to the meetings on the 2nd Wed. of the month? I am planning to go next wednesday.

Yes, I am going next Wednesday - I will try to find you to say Hi!!! There is a guy named Corry that goes that has lost at last count 155 pounds - he didn't make it to the last meeting though. He is from Jamestown New York. How much weight do you want to lose??? I want to lose at least 200 pounds. Yep it's true!!! Looking forward to meeting you!!!

Shelli, I only had mild nausea which my doctor perscribed something for. Other than that I would say a little gas and soreness in the abs and port area. Julie

Congratulations on being smoke free....AND the wierd thing is that I quit on the EXACT same day as you did...Doesn't it feel wonderful!!:clap2:

Peace Out,

T~

:hippie:

Shelli16465, I want to lose 110-130lbs. There were so many people in last months meeting! It was kind of weird though....everyone was looking around at each other trying to guess if they were pre-op or post. But everyone had really good questions. (I went the first Wed. last month). What a small world though....I work in Jamestown New York! I can't wait to meet him!

Hi badonkadonkbutt - are you going to the general preop meeting tonight??? I can't attend the meeting tonight but next week I will be there for sure. He works and live in Jamestown NY too. Maybe you know him already? Where do you work???(if you care to share)

tanderson

Thanks and congratulations to you too! I used the RX drug Chantix to stop smoking.

Cigarettes don't even enter my mind at all any longer.

What a great feeling to not have to "hide and lie and sneek" cigarettes from my husband any longer. he never smoked and never understood the addiction.

Keep it up!