Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 Mistakes WLS Patients Make...

I saw this online in another site and thought I would share with everyone. It got me to thinking about ways to insure my success:

1. Not taking Vitamins and supplements.

2. Assuming you have been cured of "obesity". We have to live a healthy WLS life-style for the rest of our lives or the weight WILL come back.

3. Drinking with meals. The tool of not drinking with meals is a critical key to long term success.

4. Not eating right. In today's society it is a challenge to eat right. Make it easy on yourself. Don't skip meals, don't keep unhealthy Snacks around, feed yourself at regular intervals so you won't make poor choices about meals. Consider having some personal absolutes such as: avoid all fried foods, avoid all sugary foods, always use low-fat options, or only eat in a restaurant once per week.

5. Not Drinking enough Water. Most WLS patients are at risk for dehydration. Drinking a minimum of 64oz per day will help you to avoid this risk. Drinking Water flushes out your system, helps you lose weight and avoid kidney stones.

6. Grazing. Nibbling small amounts here and there throughout the day can make your weight creep up. Make a plan for what you will do when you crave food so you will do something constructive that will not involve eating.

7. Not exercising regularly. Exercise is one of the best weapons a WLS patient has to fight regain. It boosts your spirits and keeps our metabolism running strong. When you exercise you build muscle. The more muscle you have the more calories you will burn even at rest.

8. Eating the wrong carbs (or too many). Face it, refined carbs are addictive. If you eat them you will only crave more of them. Eat complex carbs.

9. Drinking Sodas. Some people claim that drinking sodas stretched their pouches. What we know for sure is that sodas keep you from getting hydration you need after WLS. Diet soda has been connected to weight gain in the general population. Find other drinks to fall in love with.

10. Drinking Alcohol. If you drank alcohol before WLS you will probably want to drink it post surgery. Most surgeons recommend waiting one year after surgery before drinking. Be very cautious, you may get drunker quicker which can cause health problems and put you in dangerous situations. Alcohol is connected to weight gain because it has 7 calories per gram where Protein and vegetables only have 4 calories per gram. It is noted that some people develop ad addiction to alcohol after WLS so be very cautious. If you notice a problem, contact your doctor.

Thanks. Good info.

I disagree with going for the low fat options. Oftentimes, manufacturers replace fat with sugar which goes against the high protein/low carb rule.

I'd rather have real yogurt, real cheese, real sour cream, than chemically manipulated "lower fat" varieties. Added benefit? Fat keeps you fuller longer.

I saw this online in another site and thought I would share with everyone. It got me to thinking about ways to insure my success:<br><br>1. Not taking Vitamins and supplements.<br><br>2. Assuming you have been cured of "obesity". We have to live a healthy WLS life-style for the rest of our lives or the weight WILL come back.<br><br>3. Drinking with meals. The tool of not drinking with meals is a critical key to long term success.<br><br>4. Not eating right. In today's society it is a challenge to eat right. Make it easy on yourself. Don't skip meals, don't keep unhealthy Snacks around, feed yourself at regular intervals so you won't make poor choices about meals. Consider having some personal absolutes such as: avoid all fried foods, avoid all sugary foods, always use low-fat options, or only eat in a restaurant once per week.<br><br>5. Not Drinking enough Water. Most WLS patients are at risk for dehydration. Drinking a minimum of 64oz per day will help you to avoid this risk. Drinking water flushes out your system, helps you lose weight and avoid kidney stones.<br><br>6. Grazing. Nibbling small amounts here and there throughout the day can make your weight creep up. Make a plan for what you will do when you crave food so you will do something constructive that will not involve eating.<br><br>7. Not exercising regularly. Exercise is one of the best weapons a WLS patient has to fight regain. It boosts your spirits and keeps our metabolism running strong. When you exercise you build muscle. The more muscle you have the more calories you will burn even at rest.<br><br>8. Eating the wrong carbs (or too many). Face it, refined carbs are addictive. If you eat them you will only crave more of them. Eat complex carbs.<br><br>9. Drinking Sodas. Some people claim that drinking sodas stretched their pouches. What we know for sure is that sodas keep you from getting hydration you need after WLS. Diet soda has been connected to weight gain in the general population. Find other drinks to fall in love with.<br><br>10. Drinking Alcohol. If you drank alcohol before WLS you will probably want to drink it post surgery. Most surgeons recommend waiting one year after surgery before drinking. Be very cautious, you may get drunker quicker which can cause health problems and put you in dangerous situations. Alcohol is connected to weight gain because it has 7 calories per gram where Protein and vegetables only have 4 calories per gram. It is noted that some people develop ad addiction to alcohol after WLS so be very cautious. If you notice a problem, contact your doctor.

I had one cosmo could only take one sip every 15 mins one martini lasted all night till bar closed. Nobody let on and I felt good and the small buzz was no prob. Won't do it again for a long while but everything in moderation = a great time out with the gang.

I saw this online in another site and thought I would share with everyone. It got me to thinking about ways to insure my success:<br><br>1. Not taking Vitamins and supplements.<br><br>2. Assuming you have been cured of "obesity". We have to live a healthy WLS life-style for the rest of our lives or the weight WILL come back.<br><br>3. Drinking with meals. The tool of not drinking with meals is a critical key to long term success.<br><br>4. Not eating right. In today's society it is a challenge to eat right. Make it easy on yourself. Don't skip meals, don't keep unhealthy Snacks around, feed yourself at regular intervals so you won't make poor choices about meals. Consider having some personal absolutes such as: avoid all fried foods, avoid all sugary foods, always use low-fat options, or only eat in a restaurant once per week.<br><br>5. Not Drinking enough Water. Most WLS patients are at risk for dehydration. Drinking a minimum of 64oz per day will help you to avoid this risk. Drinking water flushes out your system, helps you lose weight and avoid kidney stones.<br><br>6. Grazing. Nibbling small amounts here and there throughout the day can make your weight creep up. Make a plan for what you will do when you crave food so you will do something constructive that will not involve eating.<br><br>7. Not exercising regularly. Exercise is one of the best weapons a WLS patient has to fight regain. It boosts your spirits and keeps our metabolism running strong. When you exercise you build muscle. The more muscle you have the more calories you will burn even at rest.<br><br>8. Eating the wrong carbs (or too many). Face it, refined carbs are addictive. If you eat them you will only crave more of them. Eat complex carbs.<br><br>9. Drinking Sodas. Some people claim that drinking sodas stretched their pouches. What we know for sure is that sodas keep you from getting hydration you need after WLS. Diet soda has been connected to weight gain in the general population. Find other drinks to fall in love with.<br><br>10. Drinking Alcohol. If you drank alcohol before WLS you will probably want to drink it post surgery. Most surgeons recommend waiting one year after surgery before drinking. Be very cautious, you may get drunker quicker which can cause health problems and put you in dangerous situations. Alcohol is connected to weight gain because it has 7 calories per gram where Protein and vegetables only have 4 calories per gram. It is noted that some people develop ad addiction to alcohol after WLS so be very cautious. If you notice a problem, contact your doctor.

Awesome. I need to print this too... right on the fridge it goes.

Definitely printing this out.

Thanks ????

Although I am not sleeved yet, as my surgery date is coming up I'm putting more and more thoughts into what am I going to eat? I do not want to make bad choices.

Agreed with LipstickLady on not eating low fat foods. Other then the taste is really yuk, without an adequate amount of fat in your diet, your body is unable to effectively absorb the fat-soluble Vitamins that are essential to your health.(A,D,K & E)

Also, I am a carb girl. I know this, and I have to get ready to stop myself and say no to refined carbs. I can do this with the help of complex carbs: Here is a quick list:

1.Fruits and Vegetables (potatoes,Beans,carrots,zucchini,cucumber,prunes,apples.tomatoes,onion,strawberries ect)

2.Whole Grains (rice,corn,wheat,barley,oats ect)

3.Whole grain Breads and Pasta

4.Nuts, Seeds and Legumes (lentils,split peas,soybeans,kidney Beans ect)

5.Dairy Products

Although I am not sleeved yet, as my surgery date is coming up I'm putting more and more thoughts into what am I going to eat? I do not want to make bad choices.

Agreed with LipstickLady on not eating low fat foods. Other then the taste is really yuk, without an adequate amount of fat in your diet, your body is unable to effectively absorb the fat-soluble Vitamins that are essential to your health.(A,D,K & E)

Also, I am a carb girl. I know this, and I have to get ready to stop myself and say no to refined carbs. I can do this with the help of complex carbs: Here is a quick list:

1.Fruits and Vegetables (potatoes,Beans,carrots,zucchini,cucumber,prunes,apples.tomatoes,onion,strawberries ect)

5.Dairy Products

You are probably really going to have to rethink this list. I, too, was a total carb kinda girl, but now I rarely want/need much off your list.

Most fruits and veggies are yum. Potatoes are far too heavy, though, and a few makes for a wonky sleeve.

Rice gets stuck (for me) and like Pasta, can swell up in your belly making you fuller than you originally thought you were. A bite or two is OK, but I then have no room for anything else.

bread. HA! Yeah... That's a distant memory for me. A bite or two max but then there is no room for ANYTHING else. I feel like crap after, too.

After 10 months with little none of the above, I no longer want or crave them. Beans are great as are nuts and seeds. Quinoa is delish as are some other whole grains.

Be careful, go slow and know that anything you get your heart set on is probably not going to work.

5.Dairy Products

You are probably really going to have to rethink this list. I, too, was a total carb kinda girl, but now I rarely want/need much off your list.

Most fruits and veggies are yum. Potatoes are far too heavy, though, and a few makes for a wonky sleeve.

Rice gets stuck (for me) and like Pasta, can swell up in your belly making you fuller than you originally thought you were. A bite or two is OK, but I then have no room for anything else.

bread. HA! Yeah... That's a distant memory for me. A bite or two max but then there is no room for ANYTHING else. I feel like crap after, too.

After 10 months with little none of the above, I no longer want or crave them. Beans are great as are nuts and seeds. Quinoa is delish as are some other whole grains.

Be careful, go slow and know that anything you get your heart set on is probably not going to work.

Thanks! I hope I will be like you and I will no longer love those carbs, and I will not need them!

Good info. Too many carbs and the more I have them the more I want them. Im going to make this one of my rules