Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have told myself I am going to weigh myself only once a week, and that day will be on Thursday, the same as the day I had surgery. We'll as everyone knows this is Thursday and I weighed myself. I just can't believe it I only lost 1 lb and 4 ozs. I hardly eat anything at all and I can really tell that I am losing. Could it be that my stomach is still swollen and I am just now starting to (Pardon Me) but pass gas. My husband guessed I had lost 10 lbs and my sister guessed 19 lbs but no way.

Now I have a. Stupid cough and took some cough Syrup this morning and was so so sick to my stomach, didn't throw up but thought I would, just can't eat anything so far, doing good to keep Water in me right now.

So has anyone else been like this?

Sorry to be so yucky with my message! Oh I am only a week post-Op.

verna2197

Verna,

you should call you doctor, specially with the cough, you don't want to come down with pneumonia. They say it's typical to only drop very little after surgery, you could even gain weight. Your only a week post op, and you have to remember your body is not accustom to that foreign object in your body, so it is going to take a little bit to get used to it. You are eating normal foods already or are you just on liquids? It's ok to put yucky messages up, that is what this site is for putting up good and yucky messages so we can help everyone out. It's good to ask. It means you are truly interested in this working!!! Good luck!!!

Hi Verna. With all due respect, you should have never gotten on the scale at all. At one week post op you are full of fluids and swollen from the surgery. Don't get on the scale for two weeks. Then you'll see the numbers go down.

As far as feeling like you lost weight, I'm sure you did. It just isn't showing up on the scale yet. This is a lifelong journey and one week out is not the time to feel down.

I can't remember how long it took for me to see nice numbers on the scale after being banded but I recall clearly when I had major surgery in October, that I gained nearly 15 lbs. from swelling and Fluid retention alone. I stayed off that scale for two months and was glad I did because once the swelling went down, so did my weight.

Good luck to you and remember, you didn't gain it overnight and you won't lose it overnight either.

Verna,

You just had major surgery. It's only 1 week post op and you should not be eating anything at all if your doctor has you on fluids only. Warm fluids are staying down and that's great.

You probably have a lot of swelling and don't forget you had lots of fluids in the hospital as well. It can take up to 2-3 weeks for body to acclimate to all the changes going on. As Tina said don't be surprised if you even gain weight over the course of the month.

Take it slow, let your body heal right now. This phase is all about healing. Soon enough your going to be running around and eating solid foods that will help you to lose the weight.

Slow and steady, you already made it past the first hurdle congratulations! Now give yourself some TLC you deserve it.

Verna, it takes time dear. Not everyone loses at the same rate and stressing yourself out about it is counterproductive. You ONLY lost 1.4...the key word here is not only - but you've LOST! You are a week post-op, your band is empty and your body has still not adjusted to your new device. I encourage you to take and record your measurements at least monthly and especially during times that it seems you aren't losing pounds. You may have lost inches already, but aren't yet aware of it.

Everyone is correct I never should have gotten on the scales told everyone that I am still swollen and have gas.

I am still on the full liquid diet for another week, them I start the puréed diets. My paperwork does say if I can tolerate the full liquid diet after 8 days I can start stage 3 but I will probably stay on stage 2

Yes I do need to call the doc, I had a cough for 2 months before the surgery finally got rid of it and now it's back.

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Another question I am so very grouchy. Every time I think my dh hasn't done something the way I think he should I really tear his head off. Is this normal? He has gone to pick me up some unflavored protien that I can put into my Soups, not getting much right now, could that have something to do with the way I am right now?

Another question I am so very grouchy. Every time I think my dh hasn't done something the way I think he should I really tear his head off. Is this normal? He has gone to pick me up some unflavored protien that I can put into my Soups, not getting much right now, could that have something to do with the way I am right now?

Of course when your not getting the nutrients you need your emotions will go crazy too!!! Don't worry this shall pass too!!!

Boy I sure hope it passes soon cause the way I am feeling right now I could probably deck him. LOL!

Another question where do I go to. Can gorge my height. I see that on here I am only 3 feet tall. That is along way from 5'7"

I was weighed before I went into surgery and weighed a week later and didn't lose anything! I weighed the next week and lost 5.8 pounds. Don't get discouraged yet, your journey just began! Keep your chin up. Feel better!

We'll I see I can't spell. How do I go about changing my height on here. It says I am only 3 feet tall.

We'll I see I can't spell. How do I go about changing my height on here. It says I am only 3 feet tall.

Lmao!!! Go into your profile and edit your profile!!!

I was a complete starving raging bitch for 10 days, then I made a huge pot of paula deens chicken noodle Soup with no noodles. Home made, gave me something to do, and I didn't worry about the ingredients bc it was all real food. No carbs. Puréed my servings before I ate, and I was feeling so much better! Didn't weigh for a week. I was fine. I lost. Some weeks are better than others, but this is a long time journey and commitment. After the healing phase of being starving and being so sick of sweet Protein Drinks, this soup saved my marriage, so to speak. Lol. I was finally satisfied with what I put in my stomach. It wasn't a "diet" meal, but my thoughts are everything in moderation, where as before being banded, that did not exist. I was banded 12/16/13. I am down 35 lbs since surgery. February I lost maybe 4 lbs. the loss fluctuates. And I will eat a bite of chocolate every now and then, and a piece of pizza every now and then. Everyone needs to find their comfort zone. It's important to ME not to feel deprived or like I am on "another diet". I allow myself a bit more freedom than most people with the band. At least I think that by what I read here. Don't make yourself miserable over this by thinking you have to live up to others expectations. Be realistic. Like everyone says, you didn't gain it over night, and you won't lose it over night. Just be happy, and proud that you made this decision to better your life, and go with it. You can do if! And always listen to your doctor!

I was a complete starving raging b***h for 10 days, then I made a huge pot of paula deens chicken noodle Soup with no noodles. Home made, gave me something to do, and I didn't worry about the ingredients bc it was all real food. No carbs. Puréed my servings before I ate, and I was feeling so much better! Didn't weigh for a week. I was fine. I lost. Some weeks are better than others, but this is a long time journey and commitment. After the healing phase of being starving and being so sick of sweet Protein drinks, this soup saved my marriage, so to speak. Lol. I was finally satisfied with what I put in my stomach. It wasn't a "diet" meal, but my thoughts are everything in moderation, where as before being banded, that did not exist. I was banded 12/16/13. I am down 35 lbs since surgery. February I lost maybe 4 lbs. the loss fluctuates. And I will eat a bite of chocolate every now and then, and a piece of pizza every now and then. Everyone needs to find their comfort zone. It's important to ME not to feel deprived or like I am on "another diet". I allow myself a bit more freedom than most people with the band. At least I think that by what I read here. Don't make yourself miserable over this by thinking you have to live up to others expectations. Be realistic. Like everyone says, you didn't gain it over night, and you won't lose it over night. Just be happy, and proud that you made this decision to better your life, and go with it. You can do if! And always listen to your doctor!

You and I live very similar band lives !

I was a complete starving raging b***h for 10 days, then I made a huge pot of paula deens chicken noodle Soup with no noodles. Home made, gave me something to do, and I didn't worry about the ingredients bc it was all real food. No carbs. Puréed my servings before I ate, and I was feeling so much better! Didn't weigh for a week. I was fine. I lost. Some weeks are better than others, but this is a long time journey and commitment. After the healing phase of being starving and being so sick of sweet Protein drinks, this soup saved my marriage, so to speak. Lol. I was finally satisfied with what I put in my stomach. It wasn't a "diet" meal, but my thoughts are everything in moderation, where as before being banded, that did not exist. I was banded 12/16/13. I am down 35 lbs since surgery. February I lost maybe 4 lbs. the loss fluctuates. And I will eat a bite of chocolate every now and then, and a piece of pizza every now and then. Everyone needs to find their comfort zone. It's important to ME not to feel deprived or like I am on "another diet". I allow myself a bit more freedom than most people with the band. At least I think that by what I read here. Don't make yourself miserable over this by thinking you have to live up to others expectations. Be realistic. Like everyone says, you didn't gain it over night, and you won't lose it over night. Just be happy, and proud that you made this decision to better your life, and go with it. You can do if! And always listen to your doctor!

Yes that is exactly what I am going to do. I have the band and will use it but I can't feel deprived or like I am on a diet. Thank you so much for responding.