Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The unfill

I was back at the radiologist's practice this morning. I'm seeing him all too often. Two weeks ago I was on his table, getting fill number three injected into my lapband. I sensed immediate restriction but figured the tightness would settle down over time.

It didn't.

Not only did it not loosen up enough for me to eat comfortably, last weekend, while I was riding my bike all alone in the woods, possibly kilometer 13-14 or so, I started having these intense spasms/pain in the middle of my breastbone. I had experienced this type of pain after my initial surgery and immediately went to my doctor to rule out a cardiac incident, since the pain mimics one symptom of a heart attack. At that time my surgeon suggested it was due to a loose band kind of bobbing up and down, creating irritation to my lower esophogeus, and assured me once I had some fill that the spasms would go away. He also put me on Nexium. I stopped spasming, but always doubted his diagnosis.

Turns out I was correct to doubt Mr. 150-euros-a-visit-and-don't-bother-to-ta

ke-your-coat-off because I had identical spasms with an overfilled band. Esophegal spasms are a sign that one's band is too tight.

Some bandsters seek a too-tight band, thinking it will help them lose weight quickly since they are limited to liquids. But that thinking may backfire because Bandsters Cannot Live On Liquids Forever. What happens when your band is too tight? You get Soft Calorie Syndrome. To avoid the pain which happens when you try to eat solid foods, you rely on foods that will slide through a too-tight band, just 'cause you are hungry. But Soft Calorie Syndrome and the foods that compose it will never provoke satiety. So you end up eating way too much, and perhaps even gaining weight. Ice cream, milkshakes, even Soup and yogurts---all soft calories which don't promote a feeling of fullness.

I knew my band was not settling well after this last fill when a small fingernail-sized of biscotte (a type of Breakfast toast like Melba toast) got stuck in my band and made me feel like I had swallowed a huge golf ball. Pain that lasted at least an hour. Also, I was unable to eat any solid food until dinnertime, when my band would open up and allow me to eat some fish or chicken. And still, even with small bites of that type of food, I was taking one hour to eat a couple of ounces of Protein. This was no fun, and no way to live! I was in a very bad mood, and coming to the table started being scary. I wasn't sure which food was going to set off my band/pain cycle.

So this morning I went back and got to drink some more barium and have more xrays and needles and injections of saline. The radiologist took out .5cc so I'm now at 6cc in a 10cc band. I immediately felt the pressure that had been in my chest for two weeks dissipate. Oh sweet Lord...it feels so much better.

I'm at the point in my band restriction where it is now more art than science. I'm extremely tuned into my band and know how to eat and at what pace. I also know myself and know that I would not be happy with overrestriction. Even with the nice drop in weight it creates, that honeymoon period would not have lasted long with me. My goal with my band is to eat like a at-goal weight person, and selective anorexia is not part of my plan.

So glad you are feeling better -- and that immediate relief, phew. It's great that you have that connection to your band and know the esophageal pain is an indicator of too much restriction. No need for that!

Great post -- words of wisdom for those of us new to our bands, getting fills, listening to our bands and seeking that green zone. It's a zone and it's got to be right, not too tight.

It is a fine line between proper band adjustment, Goidelic food choices, and self behavior....was very hard for me to juggle all three till I found that perfect balance....

That was 2 -1/2 years ago, have not needed an adjustment one way or the other since then, and now that I have found it I do not want to do anything to disrupt it.....

But it can be difficult to get it just right.....

This topic came up before, but many dr.'s are advocating surgeries other than the band because of the wide variables with adjustability....resulting in low success rates.....least that's the discussion I had with my Dr. And staff once.

I was back at the radiologist's practice this morning. I'm seeing him all too often. Two weeks ago I was on his table, getting fill number three injected into my lapband. I sensed immediate restriction but figured the tightness would settle down over time.

It didn't.

Not only did it not loosen up enough for me to eat comfortably, last weekend, while I was riding my bike all alone in the woods, possibly kilometer 13-14 or so, I started having these intense spasms/pain in the middle of my breastbone. I had experienced this type of pain after my initial surgery and immediately went to my doctor to rule out a cardiac incident, since the pain mimics one symptom of a heart attack. At that time my surgeon suggested it was due to a loose band kind of bobbing up and down, creating irritation to my lower esophogeus, and assured me once I had some fill that the spasms would go away. He also put me on Nexium. I stopped spasming, but always doubted his diagnosis.

ke-your-coat-off because I had identical spasms with an overfilled band. Esophegal spasms are a sign that one's band is too tight.

Some bandsters seek a too-tight band, thinking it will help them lose weight quickly since they are limited to liquids. But that thinking may backfire because Bandsters Cannot Live On Liquids Forever. What happens when your band is too tight? You get Soft Calorie Syndrome. To avoid the pain which happens when you try to eat solid foods, you rely on foods that will slide through a too-tight band, just 'cause you are hungry. But Soft Calorie Syndrome and the foods that compose it will never provoke satiety. So you end up eating way too much, and perhaps even gaining weight. Ice cream, milkshakes, even Soup and yogurts---all soft calories which don't promote a feeling of fullness.

I knew my band was not settling well after this last fill when a small fingernail-sized of biscotte (a type of breakfast toast like Melba toast) got stuck in my band and made me feel like I had swallowed a huge golf ball. Pain that lasted at least an hour. Also, I was unable to eat any solid food until dinnertime, when my band would open up and allow me to eat some fish or chicken. And still, even with small bites of that type of food, I was taking one hour to eat a couple of ounces of Protein. This was no fun, and no way to live! I was in a very bad mood, and coming to the table started being scary. I wasn't sure which food was going to set off my band/pain cycle.

So this morning I went back and got to drink some more barium and have more xrays and needles and injections of saline. The radiologist took out .5cc so I'm now at 6cc in a 10cc band. I immediately felt the pressure that had been in my chest for two weeks dissipate. Oh sweet Lord...it feels so much better.

I'm at the point in my band restriction where it is now more art than science. I'm extremely tuned into my band and know how to eat and at what pace. I also know myself and know that I would not be happy with overrestriction. Even with the nice drop in weight it creates, that honeymoon period would not have lasted long with me. My goal with my band is to eat like a at-goal weight person, and selective anorexia is not part of my plan.

You made the right decision....

Too me, proper restriction is having "some difficulty" with solids, but not being able to eat too easily....

Also I know if I am too tight if I can't eat any moist meat, or if liquids sit my chest, and I constantly burp, or have pain in the chest, and throat and just a general feeling of misery.....it's been almost 9 years for me and I know when a recent adjustment will eventually loosen and when it won't....

Good you are learning your band!

It didn't.

I knew my band was not settling well after this last fill when a small fingernail-sized of biscotte (a type of breakfast toast like Melba toast) got stuck in my band and made me feel like I had swallowed a huge golf ball. Pain that lasted at least an hour. Also, I was unable to eat any solid food until dinnertime, when my band would open up and allow me to eat some fish or chicken. And still, even with small bites of that type of food, I was taking one hour to eat a couple of ounces of Protein. This was no fun, and no way to live! I was in a very bad mood, and coming to the table started being scary. I wasn't sure which food was going to set off my band/pain cycle.

Ain't it great! Been there done that, have also, experienced that huge relief when having .5 removed from my band. I can't tolerate more than 5.0 cc in my 10cc band. Even with the 5 cc, I sometimes get stuck and have reflux. Glad hat you are better. Karen..aka..kll724

**Some bandsters seek a too-tight band, thinking it will help them lose weight quickly since they are limited to liquids. But that thinking may backfire because Bandsters Cannot Live On Liquids Forever. What happens when your band is too tight? You get Soft Calorie Syndrome. To avoid the pain which happens when you try to eat solid foods, you rely on foods that will slide through a too-tight band, just 'cause you are hungry. But Soft Calorie Syndrome and the foods that compose it will never provoke satiety. So you end up eating way too much, and perhaps even gaining weight. Ice cream, milkshakes, even Soup and yogurts---all soft calories which don't promote a feeling of fullness.**

i totally AGREE with this.......glad you feel better parr :)

Great post!!! You've identified a number of key issues all Bandster must find a way to overcome.

Sometimes I feel like I'm riding a Bandster Unicycle....easier and fun to ride once you get your balance but way easy to fall off.. My eating havits have become more cautious and I strive to eliminate those Soft Calories. Great concept by the way.

I've never quit come to the understanding of just HOW the Band 'becomes too tight' or 'loosens up' over the day. I'm satisfied if must be the soft tissue of the Os being involved, but the effect is certainly "as if" more or less fill were the cause.

At times in the slow process of eating hard Proteins, I come to a temporary 'stop and wait' point....where in a few minutes I can actually sense that bolus moving down thru the Os. It's sort of eery yet satisfying as it identifies Band at Work. Most often by that point I also notice 'satiety' is close at hand.

Edited by Jack

Three years in and I have yet to ever have that feeling of Fullness" so many others talk about......

For me it is all mental....the band giving my mind signals of hunger, need to eat, or not.

Three years in and I have yet to ever have that feeling of Fullness" so many others talk about......

For me it is all mental....the band giving my mind signals of hunger, need to eat, or not.

For ME, when my is too tight I don't get a sense of fullness...because I can't eat solids to stimulate the vegas nerve.....to give me that 4-5 hours of satiety that we are seeking....the band should be tight and snug to not allow us to eat too freely, but yet not too tight to allow most solids to past through the band.

This is ONE key point , when the band is too tight, many get HUNGRY more often and quicker because you can't eat dense solids to give you that "full sensation" therefore being too tight backfires in many ways....many don't lose weight because they panic and resort to sliders, chips and junk that will be more easy to eat, no one can sip Protein drinks 24/7...and also it puts us at more risk to long term complications so there is NO advantage of being too tight.

This is ONE key point , when the band is too tight, many get HUNGRY more often and quicker because you can't eat dense solids to give you that "full sensation" therefore being too tight backfires in many ways....many don't lose weight because they panic and resort to sliders, chips and junk that will be more easy to eat, no one can sip Protein drinks 24/7...and also it puts us at more risk to long term complications so there is NO advantage of being too tight.

NaNa, this is precisely what was happening to me. I had hunger pangs like never before! My stomach was empty empty empty--I could not give it what it needed. It was clearly telling me I needed some fill taken out.

Discussion of terminology:

and very apart from "fill/unfill" and "too tight/too loose" concepts:

For myself, these terms are different in important ways from each other

"Fullness" this is least desirable as it actually seems to mean I have eaten more than I need to satisfy;

"Satiety" means the physical aspects of 'why I eat' have been satisfied by whatever physiological and psycho-emotional components;

"Hunger" this was the very most basic, startling and difficult component for me to identify.

Most of the eating I had done over 40 years, was not related to 'hunger' but many other reasons including but not limited to social events, anxiety/anger/loneliness/boredom/etc.

While I have a far better understanding of 'hunger-what/when/how to tell' even now the 'anxious anticipation of BECOMING hungry' has a curiously powerful effect on my eating behavior.

Maybe this is mere overthinking yet conceptually works for my own purposes.

PreOp I could be yearing/planning/anticipating my NEXT items-to-be-consumed without any sense of satisfaction in the current food intake. All was external guides: was any more within reach? Could I physically stuff more in with my eating shovel? Would anyone object if I just 'cleaned up' that last 1/2 german chocolate cake and bowl of whipped cream? etc. And having a security sack-o-burgers while on the way to the next meal. All without "hunger" and without "satiety" yet seeking "fullness"....which was of course not a rational measure as related to 'hunger' and 'eating'.

My old notion was "appetite" meant 'strive to attain sensory satisfaction via curious/unusual food pairing'...as in "how DOES bologna strips in lime Jello taste? etc.

No wonder I was Morbidly Obese.

Actually, I was a food-autistic, unable to relate to the normal aspects of food, eating and satiety as a goal.

Edited by Jack

Jack,

Interesting concept:

I think we forgot and "mis label" how the band should ideally work,

We should never seek fullness from the band, but a feeling of satiety...meaning, NOT hungry just satisfied....

There are sometimes that I DO feel fullness with my band without eating too much, but I have eat dense foods, not drink with my meals for this to occur...so you have to KNOW how to work the band for it be be effective....

However when my band is too tight or too loose, I don't get the benefits of satiety with my band, so it has to be filled just right for me....

This is so true. I don't feel the need to feel that tight. We see it all of the time someone who thinks they "have" to lose 2 lbs a week or a clothes size a month. The margin in the green zone is actually larger than some think and some think they have to be as close to the red as they can be without leaving the green if you get my drift. Problem is, the closer to the red you are, the harder you have to work or the more foods you have to eliminate from your diet. I'm am definitely in the green zone, am losing weight and haven't had to give up a single food, though I havent tried steak yet. I wounldn't take a tweaking if it was offered, not at this point anyway.

Edited by SandyM

it's got to be right, not too tight.

Now that should be the slogan for Lapbands!

It's got to be right, not too tight! Love it, I'm adopting it! You should coin the phrase Bandi!

I'm glad you can tell the difference and that you're feeling better

Being too tight is no joke. Continued success.