Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Non-plus size stores...where did you go first?

I've lost nearly enough to shop in a non-"fat lady" store (Lane Bryant and Avenue). Where should I go first? Where do you think is the best place to shop now that you are thinner?

I'd recommend some of the larger department stores like Kohls, Macys, JC Pennys etc because they have multiple departments and brands that will allow you to not only choose specific styles, but experiment with sizes. Once I got down to a size 8/10 I was able to fit into some junior sizes (ie jeans) that looked and felt much better than some of the slouchy mom jeans another dept would offer for example. But once I got to the single digits I wanted all the premier brands I was always too heavy for like banana Republic, Michael Kors etc. It was a double reward, fab clothes and the ability to wear a size 4/6 in designer wear- it was just a reminder of how far I came.

I've lost nearly enough to shop in a non-"fat lady" store (Lane Bryant and Avenue). Where should I go first? Where do you think is the best place to shop now that you are thinner?

I totally get where you are coming from I am out of the plus size stores and have no idea where to get clothing , my wardrobe is very small at the moment lol

My favorite store is Old Navy!!

So exciting, CONGRATS! I love American Eagle, Maurices, and Old Navy! It's so nice to be able to walk in to any store I want, and KNOW they'll have my size!

I'm not sure what type of clothes you're looking for (style wise). Work, casual, trendy, etc.

I like old navy, decent prices for decent clothes.

What I'm really looking forward to wearing again is Ann Taylor. They have some nice clothes.

I love Dillard's. there are always major sales going on. I bought my first item in the misses dept there. I always went to women's sizes but it's all psychological with me. I know I can wear an XL blouse but still head towards the 1X and 2X tops. I have not convinced myself that I've lost enough weight to be out of plus sizes. Does anyone else have that problem?

Old Navy and Kohl's are my favorites. I still have a tendency to head straight to the Women's Department out of habit, but it's nice to know that none of those sizes fit me. :)

Nordstrom....of course. My old time favorite...

Though when you are still moving down sizes, I would look for sales at either Macy's or Dillard's. If you pay attention to the sales they have quality items marked down to very affordable prices.

Edited by ♥ Sojourner ♥

I had my first true 'slender' experience at JJill. Absolutely loved it and got unbelievable service. Granted I was the only customer there at the time but when they heard how much I lost they went nuts! They helped me pick flattering clothing that would mix and match, the. They found me every coupon under the sun! It is expensive so I do shop there on sale and with coupons.

Kohl's although I have never had to shop in a "Fat Lady" stores ;)

Lol! Terry, hope not! But I agree, Kohl's or another dept store is good to start!

Congrats! I am now shopping in non plus size stores too. I just bought a few bras at Victoria secret and black heart (stores I dreamed of but could not fit into) and I bought my first size medium top at the Gap!!! No more plus size for me. I also would recommend pants at American eagle. I like the high waisted jeggings.

After losing so much weight that my Nordstrom's bra didn't fit, I went back for a refitting and exchanged the old bra for the new one--- at no charge!

I love Dillard's. there are always major sales going on. I bought my first item in the misses dept there. I always went to women's sizes but it's all psychological with me. I know I can wear an XL blouse but still head towards the 1X and 2X tops. I have not convinced myself that I've lost enough weight to be out of plus sizes. Does anyone else have that problem?

I do...

Still go to the 1X and 2X in thr eomen's dept before I walk to the misses dept and get the XL..,., crazy, huh?