Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't think it's too early to start thinking about 2014 New Year's Resolutions. It has been shown that people who write down their goals have a better chance of accomplishing them

Instead of saying I plan to do xxxx. I plan to use the SMART method to achieve my resolution

S = Specific

M = Measurable

A = Attainable

R = Realistic

T = Timely

I plan on making 2014 the last time I list losing weight as my resolution.

I will accomplish this by riding my bicycle for 1,000 miles between March and the end of October. I am not quite two months out from surgery and have 45 pounds to goal.

What's your resolution for the new year?

Nice goal! You can do it! The 45 will come off in no time at all. I have 9 pounds till goal from my doctor and 16 from my own personal goal

Best of luck to you in accomplishing your resolutions!

As for me, i am totally with you: I want it to be the last time I am adding "losing weight" as a resolution! Yes!!!

I am also taking the resolution to exercise more; I have been slacking :-(

And, unrelated to weight loss, I am taking the resolution to start saving more money so I can start planning my dream Europe tour :-)

I just love this idea, thanks for sharing the "SMART" Tool!

I want to run in a 10k race in 2014.

I want to reach my goal weight in 2014. I think it's reasonable to lose 30 more pounds in a year. If not, I want to be closer than now!

I want to ride my bicycle at least once every week in 2014.

I want to begin to tackle some of the tough problems that I used to mask with food. There is a book on my shelf that I have been too scared to read but I will read it in 2014 and start healing.

i like that theory of SMART it is smart because it lets you set realistic goals without over thinking too big of a goal. Good idea Rib thanks for sharing!

SMART is used in many goal setting scenarios. Every year we have to set department and personal goals at work, then they are submitted to management and approved. Throughout the year we track progress throughout the year.

Happy to say I met all my goals this year for work at 100%.

Professor Edwin Locke is credited with developing the SMART system.

Thanks for sharing SMART with me RIb! I never have set a NY goal before, but I definitely need too. I think exercise needs to be my goal. It's difficult for me to be excited about it lol. Happy New Year everyone and may each of you meet your set goals this year! Thanks again Rib!

Angel,

Glad to hear your goal. We can help each other with our exercise goals and cheer everyone on toward their goals.

my weight loss goal for the new year is to reach goal weight (150lbs) by March. this should be realistic since i have 18 lbs to goal. i plan on doing this by continuing to follow the 5:2 plan, exercising sporadically, using MFP, coming to this site, and participating in a weight loss support group that my counselor is planning to start in January.

Thanks Rib!

Tink,

I have no doubt you will reach your goal. You have a good plan in place to get there and have been so successful so far.

I haven't made a weight related New Year's resolution in probably 20 years, but this year is different. My goals for 2014 include being under 200 lbs by my birthday in early May & hitting my initial preliminary goal weight of 180 before my anniversary in September. I'm at 232 right now, and I'm 6 months out so I expect my loss rate to start slowing down somewhat. I think losing 32/33 lbs by May is doable, as is another 20 beyond that by September.

Great thread, Rib!

Nice goal! You can do it! The 45 will come off in no time at all. I have 9 pounds till goal from my doctor and 16 from my own personal goal

Ktrebie,

How do you plan to get your 16 pounds off?

I haven't made a weight related New Year's resolution in probably 20 years, but this year is different. My goals for 2014 include being under 200 lbs by my birthday in early May & hitting my initial preliminary goal weight of 180 before my anniversary in September. I'm at 232 right now, and I'm 6 months out so I expect my loss rate to start slowing down somewhat. I think losing 32/33 lbs by May is doable, as is another 20 beyond that by September.

Great thread, Rib!

SS,

Those are admirable goals. With your personality and drive, I have no doubt you will be successful. Watch out 2014 for the new and improved Southern Soul. :D

I love this question; it gets me thinking. My first goal is to get to goal (140) by my 1 yr surgiversary (Feb. 20). Next I want to hit my ultimate goal of 135 by May 30. I also want to run two 5ks- no set dates yet. Lastly, I want to maintain my loss sucessfully for 6 months so I can get a plastics consult.