Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reglan/Metoclopramide 10mg-----Really Scared

Hello my friends.....I am really having a hard time out of the gate ;( I have been having really bad left chest and shoulder pain (stabbing with a knife). It hurts worse when I take a deep breath in. I went and saw my surgeon today and he prescribed me 2 medications. Reglan/Metoclopramide and Dexilant. After reading about the Reglan, I really do not want to take this medication. Has anyone had any experience with this? My surgery was Monday.... Thanks all.

Just about everybody has experienced similar pains post-op as you describe....

The gas trapped inside the body cavity will travel up under the rib cage an eventually to the left shoulder...no one knows why the left...

At one point, for me, it was so painful under my ribs, I could not take a deep breath.....

On surgical floors in Hospitals, there are standing orders to get post-op patients up and walking asap, and as much as possible because this is believed to be the best treatment....some people say heating pads helped....

Reglan on the other hand, is used to treat Acid Reflux....Is your Dr. suggesting the 2 are the same???

Does your pain radiate out the backside of your ribcage?

Where are you with you post-op eating? Are you a stressful person? A worrier?

Reflux seems to be a common occurrence with WLS people....I'm sure someone here has been prescribed Reglan....and hopefully share what, if any side effects they experienced....

I learned to give up spicy foods, and not eat anything after a certain hour at the end of the day....

It sounds to me that you have gas problems especially since your surgery was less than a week ago, That is usually when the major gas starts. Walk and try Gas-x. I am surprised that the surgeon recommends a medication for reflux at this stage. well as B-52 said maybe others have been prescribed the same. Best wishes. I am NOT a medical professional, just a lapband veteran!

Edited by kll724

The pain is only located at the top left chest and shoulder area. It hurts constantly and worse when i take deep breaths. I too assumed it was gas, but most people i have read says its mostly gone by now 5 days since surgery..... and i am a total worrier :(

Mine started a few days after surgery -- not sure why the delay. Walking will help with the worrying, too! Best wishes for a nice relaxing weekend.

The pain is only located at the top left chest and shoulder area. It hurts constantly and worse when i take deep breaths. I too assumed it was gas, but most people i have read says its mostly gone by now 5 days since surgery..... and i am a total worrier :(

boymom, that is where the gas settles. Take some gas-x and walk!!!My gas pain did not start until around day 5-10. So,most people are not always right!

Edited by kll724

Metoclopramide has been a miracle for me. I was diagnosed with gastroparesis and tried to control the symptoms through diet because I was worried about the potential side effects, but the nausea was debilitating. My doctor finally didn't give me a choice, he said I needed to be on Metoclopramide 10mg as I was losing too much weight because I couldn't eat. I truly feel like a new person. Although I still have "spells" where the nausea comes back, it's not nearly as severe and is controllable with Zofran. I would recommend Metoclopramide to anyone with gastroparesis!