Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling So Discouraged!... And Hungry!

I am about 5 weeks post op and I'm just feeling so discouraged. I'm not losing any weight, I'm constantly hungry, and when I do eat, I feel like I could eat forever. I just don't get full like I assumed I would. Also, no foods whatsoever bother me (is this normal?). I have tried tiny bits of everything including Pasta, bread, rice, beer, & Diet Pepsi. (I did not have meals of any of these, just bites!) I giess I shouldn't be complaining that I feel good, I guess I just assumed this would be much harder. I go in next week for a fill so hopefully it will help things.

You are in bandster hell. That is the time period between the surgery and some feeling of restriction. This is when you just have to tough it out and diet until the fills start to work. Just be aware that feeling full no longer exists for you or any of us. Your goal is to feel satiety...which basically is that you eat till you are not hungry...which is not the same as being full. In time and with correct restriction, you should get to that point and then hopefully, you will 'get it'. Good luck and try not to be discouraged...you are very new to the process still.

As the gowalking mentioned, welcome to bandster hell. :) Not uncommon at all to have the feelings you are having. My suggestion to you would be to follow very closely the TYPE of foods your surgical team recommends for you at this point and do your best to limit quanity. Lots of folks you will read about on here, GAINED weight during the period after introducing "food" back into their diet....until they have their band adjusted to where it provides the help it's designed to do.

Try not to get discouraged....you're 5 weeks into your new life. Once again, just follow the TYPES of food you've been OK'd to have. I've been on here long enough to have read several post op diet plans....your's seems pretty liberal. Use caution. Best wishes and never, ever give up! :)

It is the toughest time of all.....you expect better things only to be told you need to do the same things you have always done before you had the surgery....I was very frustrated, GAINED WEIGHT....was told I needed to keep food journals, count calories, measure/weigh portions...all fine I suppose, but did I need surgery to do that???

My first fill was even more discouraging....no difference....2nd fill things began to change, my hunger was under control between meals, etc, and I was able to eat less......3rd fill was thew charm. It all then fell into place, although it took me another 2-3 months to adapt and change my ways so I could be in balance with the band.....

It has been heaven sent ever since...best thing I could have ever done...it was Hell the first 6 months, but now it is the easiest and most effortless way to be at a normal weight and regain my health, to say the least....

Hang in there, don't give up on the Band....after surgery this is the Adjustment phase.....

My Dr. and I compared notes once, and he said imagine if he pug ALL the saline in my band ALL AT ONCE during surgery, then sent me home with a fully adjusted band...it would have been a disaster!!! You have to take it slow, one adjustment at a time getting used to to as you go along, learning new lessons, applying the "Rules" as they become relevant and needed, gaining courage to continue and not back down....and come out the other side a new person.....

I agree with what the others have said.Bandster hell! It is a time to relearn anything that you have done with eating in the past! Why are you testing your band? Sodas are nono, beer, Pasta, bread, rice? Stay away from those things, think Protein, veggies and then some carbs. But, carbs should be very low on your list of foods to eat. During bandster hell, back in 2009, I was at a pizza party for the grandkids after their Christmas concert. I had 1 piece of pizza, and then my 1st ever sliming and pb'ing started! Not a way to be at the Christmas party. Don't be like me, and I wasn't even trying to test my band! Best wishes!!Karen

Even though you are eating little bits of soda, beer, bread, rice, Pasta, these are all things that I am sure are not on your list of foods that you can eat. Soda and beer especially. No carbonation should even be in your mind right now. Your testing your band and I would say you need to follow the diet your doctor gave you for these weeks after surgery. Just because you can eat them doesn't mean you should. If you consume enough Protein and I don't mean shakes you should still be full enough that you don't need to pick at other things.

As Cheryl mentioned above now is the time to stop eating all those foods that you are trying out. They are not part of the band diet now or in your future. If you are not going to follow the rules of your band you are going to have a hard time as you move forward.

It takes time to reach your optimal Fluid level or green zone in your band it takes a period of adjustment both of the band and i your life. In the mean time the best thing to be doing is working on your choices your eating habits and your eating mechanics. (taking the time to eat your meal, at least 20 min. and chewing chewing chewing not eating and drinking together) Those things will benefit you over all in the long run as you move forward with the band and begin losing weight.

Lapband surgery is not an automatic restrictive surgery like other WLS it takes time to reach your green zone and it takes 100% compliance by the user. The band is an amazing tool but you still have to work it.

All the best!

Thank you guys all for the advice. I actually have been sticking to my drs. diet, eating lots of Protein and soft cooked foods. Like I said, I only tried those 'bad' foods once and I guess I was sort of testing my band. Probably a mistake but I am only human... I screw up sometimes lol.

Thank you guys all for the advice. I actually have been sticking to my drs. diet, eating lots of Protein and soft cooked foods. Like I said, I only tried those 'bad' foods once and I guess I was sort of testing my band. Probably a mistake but I am only human... I screw up sometimes lol.

also besides eating more protein ( and drinking to head off hunger also), def try to stay busy (read, walk, clean house, take bath, have sex, shopping).....do not let your world revolve around food..and those foods are just food...you just need to make better choices (like us all).....def leave carbonation out though, this is for your bands health)...hang in there

I love this website/forum. I've heard a lot of old timers who are unhappy with some changes, but to a newbie like me,this is great. Did they teach me about bandster hell at my preop education? No, they did not. But, I feel so much better knowing that this is something I may go through. Don't give up skinnysomeday!

lleeprs this site is a savior! You will hear all kinds of things, good, bad and sometimes even ugly here that you won't hear from your Dr. or surgical group but that you may need to and/or want to know.

My advice :)

Take in everything, share your story, keep what works for you, discard what doesn't and check with your doctor about anything you read that might not be in line with their advice or suggestions before you apply it and you won't go wrong.

No one at my Bariatric Center ever mentioned "Bandster Hell" either....but when I came in in a bad mood and frusrated...the entire staff including the Dr. started laughing at me as though to say "We've got another one"

I think it was the NUT, when I was saying how all those "Rules" were silly and I did not need surgery to follow them, she smiled and said "Just you wait...there will come a day when you will be glad you learned those rules...."

I am about 5 weeks post op and I'm just feeling so discouraged. I'm not losing any weight, I'm constantly hungry, and when I do eat, I feel like I could eat forever. I just don't get full like I assumed I would. Also, no foods whatsoever bother me (is this normal?). I have tried tiny bits of everything including Pasta, bread, rice, beer, & Diet Pepsi. (I did not have meals of any of these, just bites!) I giess I shouldn't be complaining that I feel good, I guess I just assumed this would be much harder. I go in next week for a fill so hopefully it will help things.

I to am about 5 weeks in and am going thru the exact same thing. I'm discouraged and not losing any weight either. I did lose ten pounds during my two week liquid phase. But I just got my first fill on Friday, 3.5 cc. I feel absolutely no restrictions whatsoever. It is very frustrating. I feel like I can eat anything or whatever I want. I totally expected restriction with my fill on Friday. So I guess I'm in bandster hell.